CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Thumbs up RIM reaching out to Android Developers

Thanked by 2:
    dieselville (09-07-2011),  wellard (09-07-2011) 
    CrackBerry Genius

They say...

We know that RIM is releasing the Android Player to developers at least before DevCon but other than that this is another sign that it is coming soon.

Can the user Player be coming sooner than later? Please!
    IMO: It sounds like the official 2.0 OS upgrade, with a soon Android Player, will come out late October, after a DevCon.
    Last edited by mandony; 09-07-2011 at 10:48 AM.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Great find Nice to see some type of news on this. Thank you
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts

Interesting. Should be good, I think.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,669 Global Posts

It's about time...
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    56,010 Global Posts

Oh lovely, another 2 to 3 month wait. Whatever RIM I guess a snails pace is better then dead.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Safety or stick?

Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    Oh lovely, another 2 to 3 month wait. Whatever RIM I guess a snails pace is better then dead.
    Just remember the fable of the Tortoise and the Hare.
    Torch 9800, 9810, STL 100-3 Z10, 10.2.1.2141
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by newcollector View Post
    Except the hare isn't slowing down and is focused on winning the race. This tortoise better strap on some rocket boosters quick .
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    601 Global Posts
    PIN
    To many of them

Shouldn't they instead be sponsoring dev meet ups for native QNX apps or was it their intention all along to predominantly focus on Android apps?

This begs the question, why didn't they have the PlayBook run an Android OS instead?

Makes little sense to me...

Quote Originally Posted by newcollector View Post
    "Fast and steady" beats "slow and steady" every time.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    18,383 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hush9300 View Post
    Shouldn't they instead be sponsoring dev meet ups for native QNX apps or was it their intention all along to predominantly focus on Android apps?

This begs the question, why didn't they have the PlayBook run an Android OS instead?

Makes little sense to me...
    If the Playbook ran Android, then all apps would be obtained via the Android Market. By providing Tablet OS tweaks to run the Android apps on the Playbook, RIM gets to host the apps in App World and, thus, see revenue from the apps.

What's not clear to me at this point is whether there are actually two strategies going on here. First, obviously, is the Android Player which, as seen in the leaked version, can access the Android Market and install and run apps within the Player. Second is taking existing Android apps and providing developers the simple hooks to allow them to compile, deploy, and run directly on the Playbook without the Player.

For flash-based apps, there are only subtle differences between an app that will run on Android and an app that will run on Tablet OS. These include basically swapping out functionality for button presses for swipes, adding functionality for a swipe-down settings screen, and some behind the scenes device monitoring features (battery, memory, saving state).

I wonder if Android Market functionality will actually be enabled in the released version of Android Player or if RIM will want to only allow distribution of 'Player-capable' apps via App World. Given the apps in the Market that have been prone to malware, I would think that RIM would want to approve whatever apps become available for the Playbook.
    Why is it that when your contract commitment is up, the phone you always wanted is now old and the phone you now want won't be out until the next quarter? - Checkout Planet Loser on Channel C003DAB77

Curve 8330 4.5.0.131 -> Bold 9650 6.0.0.706 --> Qued 10 - Plus not one but two totally awesome (albeit extinct) kickin' Playbooks