I've noticed this also. Well...... The PlayBook is almost two years old.......an eternity in the electronic world. I still hope it gets BB10, but I doubt it
    In my opinion not getting BB10 on the current pb would be a huge blunder by RIM.
    jegs2 likes this.
    01-25-13 12:40 PM
    In my opinion not getting BB10 on the current pb would be a huge blunder by RIM.
    I am worried that (from what I have read) the first handset will have 2GB of RAM. I am wondering how well BB10 will run on the PlayBook. I am hoping the 2GB uis just for some extra overhead. But history shows companies usually do not spec up the hardware unless necessary.
    01-25-13 12:45 PM
    Didn't RIM stop making PB's long ago? They announced the end of the 16GB presumably because they are just about sold out.
    The PB is on borrowed time but I would not say dead because the PB is still supported and will be updated again. If this new OS is good enough they may bring out some new hardware but certainly not this 2 year old design.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-25-13 12:49 PM
    I am worried that (from what I have read) the first handset will have 2GB of RAM. I am wondering how well BB10 will run on the PlayBook. I am hoping the 2GB uis just for some extra overhead. But history shows companies usually do not spec up the hardware unless necessary.
    I'm not so worried about that from what I understand (or maybe I don't) about QNX it should be fine. Maybe just won't be able to run as many things at the same time.
    01-25-13 12:56 PM
    Didn't RIM stop making PB's long ago? They announced the end of the 16GB presumably because they are just about sold out.
    The PB is on borrowed time but I would not say dead because the PB is still supported and will be updated again. If this new OS is good enough they may bring out some new hardware but certainly not this 2 year old design.
    Yep
    01-25-13 12:57 PM
    I'm not so worried about that from what I understand (or maybe I don't) about QNX it should be fine. Maybe just won't be able to run as many things at the same time.
    Hopefully. That would make sense. Kinda like an old PC with not enough RAM. Lol.
    01-25-13 02:11 PM
    Hopefully. That would make sense. Kinda like an old PC with not enough RAM. Lol.
    Yep. I don't expect BB10 to be any more resource intensive then the current playbook OS. QNX handles resources very well, and the current gen playbook will run BB10 fine. The phones needed that extra ram because you tend to have several apps running in the background on a phone.. (all kinds of third party apps that you want notifications from, photobucket uploading your pictures, foursquare trying to figure out where you are, visual voice mail, social feeds, etc etc etc) all at the same time. On a tablet you aren't generally doing that many things at once.. maybe your browsing while some music is playing in the background.. an email comes in and you flip over to that.. but you don't have 20 apps open..
    01-25-13 02:23 PM
    Dunno. Just read that Bell is end of lifing the PlayBook LTE.

Maybe Thor and team have found a way to make money in the tablet game and will relaunch with something new when BlackBerry 10 is tablet ready. But I haven't the foggiest idea of how that will happen.

Tough game when you've got Google selling the Nexus for dirt cheap because they make money on search and Amazon selling Kind Fires for dirt cheap because they make money on content. RIM needs to find their way to compete and I don't know what that is.

On the other hand, it must worry them when they hear some CIO say, "we need an alternative to BlackBerry and since we already support the iPad as a cheaper replacement for laptops ..."
    According to MS the Surface has sold over 1M units to date, that`s not bad for a tablet that`s priced through the stratosphere and is not all that functional in RT trim, MS has done a great job of selling it to the niche market they're aiming at. RIM does have to be mindful of price but they also have to sell the competency of their OS and hardware. When I do a PPT presentation using my phone as a remote I always get a response from the people in attendance. It`s a unique and utile feature that a new PlayBook could be sold from, that and others. People don`t recognise the functionality of the PlayBook because RIM`s done a crappy job of selling it. You can bet your bottom dollar they`ll do a better job next time. If they "sell" the tablet properly it makes it a whole lot easier to justify a higher price point against things like the Kindle, Arc, N7, etc. I know what my PlayBook can do, but how many other people do?
    01-25-13 02:37 PM
    Absolutely Not! Tablets sales are expected to sky rocket in 2013. They are fighting to get back in the game and tablets are now a huge part of the game. I do think we will see a Phablet before a new PlayBook though. Aristo.
    01-25-13 02:42 PM
    Didn't RIM stop making PB's long ago?
    No. An analyst presumed they were and then RIM refuted.

They announced the end of the 16GB presumably because they are just about sold out.
    But they still sell the 32 GB WiFi, the 64 GB WiFi and the PlayBook LTE (announced in august) and have released the PlayBook 3G+ in some markets.
    01-25-13 03:33 PM
    I believe i saw a pic of a playbook running bb10 somewhere on crackberry...i think there will be an update to the current crop of playbooks soon enough.
    01-25-13 04:17 PM
    It would not make sense to not update PB to BB10.

The recent sales of accessories is to reduce stock as i bet a new PB will be coming out and different accessories for it too.
    01-25-13 04:33 PM
    The PlayBooks are getting BlackBerry10 a lot sooner than people think. A LOT SOONER

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    SEAWARRIOR, Shadowyugi and web99 like this.
    01-25-13 04:42 PM
    I say there is a few indications that RIM is not giving up on the Playbook (Or tablet line whatever it may be called) First thing that shows RIM pushing the Playbook is on their Blackberry Developer Blackberry World page: https://developer.blackberry.com/blackberryworld/ Where in BIG bold print they point out to developers that "90% of all PLAYBOOK users upgrade to the latest operating system version within 1 MONTH of its release. Why push the Playbook to developers if you are getting rid of it?

Other proof I have found as a developer that BB10 is coming to Playbook is in the BBUI.css file for the BB10 Slider user interface feature:

/* =================================================
    BB10 Slider for 1024x600
    =================================================*/
    Also has this for many other BB10 functions.

Don't know of any other device with BB10 with a resolution of 1024x600, so it shows RIM supporting developers making apps for BB10 on this resolution.

Need any more proof? RIM is supporting the tablets, past and future versions.
    01-25-13 04:59 PM
    Here it is... (Sorry, i don't know how to create hyper links) First Leaked Image of BlackBerry 10 Running on the BlackBerry PlayBook | NerdBerry.net

Well what do you know, it created it on it's own.
    01-25-13 07:55 PM
    Here it is... (Sorry, i don't know how to create hyper links) First Leaked Image of BlackBerry 10 Running on the BlackBerry PlayBook | NerdBerry.net

Well what do you know, it created it on it's own.
    yes an obvious fake screenshot from a dev alpha....
    01-25-13 08:00 PM
    I think everyone is just looking at it wrong... right now, RIM/BlackBerry's focus is 99.99% focused on the successful launch of BlackBerry 10, which puts it's new flagship device, the Z10, right at the forefront.

One could even say that they are quietly killing off QWERTY devices but there are too many articles out there that fell for that bait. We know this isn't the case as RIM has stated time and time again. After the Z10 launches, give it some time, RIM will be showing love to the PlayBook and the rest of the army of devices they release.
    01-25-13 08:20 PM
    The PlayBooks are getting BlackBerry10 a lot sooner than people think. A LOT SOONER

I hope you are right. I am super excited to get BB10 on my playbook and show it off. My plan is to buy a qwerty phone and use my playbook to get the touchscreen experience
    01-25-13 09:25 PM
    yes an obvious fake screenshot from a dev alpha....
    How can you tell??
    01-25-13 09:27 PM
    as it is the playbook can run 4 games; modern combat 2, need for speed, jetpack joyride, sector strike, & maybe a light web page w/ abt 75-80 MB ram left so a phone w/ twice that running QNX would be a serious machine...
    01-25-13 09:31 PM

not sooner than i thought,,,
    01-25-13 09:33 PM
    How can you tell??
    Obviously this is a half-assed attempt, I did this in 3 seconds and didn't even bother to shop out the BGR logo.. but just to show how easily this can be faked..

Show me one in landscape mode the way the playbook is actually used and I might believe it..

1) The default orientation of the PB version of BB10 will be landscape.. this is shown in portrait because it's a blown up screen shot from a dev alpha.

2) The PB version of BB10 will not have a phone button.
    01-25-13 09:36 PM
    Just say thank you that the Playbook has these kinds of sales. Almost 2 years old and still going strong, best bargain value out there, and due for another awesome OS update once BB10 comes out.

There is no reason to kill Playbook. Maybe faster processor or screen resolution increase, but with BB10 phone just being released the app ecosystem is growing and ultimately apps are generally cross-compatible between the phone and tablet.... Just like iPhone and iPad.

RIM can keep making the Playbook and expect it to improve more and more. I see no reason to kill it, it helps bring people into the Blackberry ecosystem and encourage developers... even if RIM just breaks even on the hardware, they need to do it because it gets Blackberry into the hands of more people.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    goku_vegeta likes this.
    01-25-13 10:26 PM
    1) The default orientation of the PB version of BB10 will be landscape.. this is shown in portrait because it's a blown up screen shot from a dev alpha.

2) The PB version of BB10 will not have a phone button.
    ...but the image i linked to didn't have a phone button and it had the big home active tiles... If it is fake, it's pretty well done considering you can see the reflection of the person taking the picture on the screen.
    01-25-13 10:41 PM
    ...but the image i linked to didn't have a phone button and it had the big home active tiles... If it is fake, it's pretty well done considering you can see the reflection of the person taking the picture on the screen.
    look again. the phone and search icons are there, just greyed out. also look again at the screen and the image, it very clearly doesnt fit at the top and bottom of the screen. As for the reflection, thats simply a screencap from a dev alpha being shown in the PB pictures app.

As for BB10 for PlayBook, yes its coming, RIM has said this plenty of times, plus the UI design is in BBUI.js for webworks, however i think your talking may at BBLive.
    Last edited by BBThemes; 01-26-13 at 08:41 AM.
    01-26-13 07:46 AM
124 ... 2345