Longtime lurker, never a poster until this morning. This post has a point at the end but needed to vent a bit about where I am in terms of RIM. Hopefully someone there will read this and it strike a chord.

A little background. Was a dedicated Palm Treo user in the hey day. Gave Palm the benefit of the doubt when most were jumping ship. Finally realized they were going nowhere and finally made the leap to Windows powered smart phones (I refused to drink the Apple kool-aid). When I realized that wasn't the answer, I finally made the leap to RIM and chose Blackberry (still wasn't going to drink the Apple kool-aid). Loved it the moment I arrived. Have been with Blackberry for over a year and have been extremely happy with my Storm 2 (yes I love it. Some would argue I have below normal expectations, but it works for me and I love everything about it.

Waited four days before buying the playbook, understanding things were going to be a bit rough the first shot out of the barrel. Waiting patiently for the software updates we all hope and pray for. There are a lot of features that I had hoped would have been identified in beta testing (file bookmarks, native file manager, spell checker, more effective bridge software). All these things are basic. But hey, I have low expectations right? I love my Storm 2!

Got up this morning and the playbook took a step backwards in my mind. On Intellicast weather website, I can no longer select for example the "Current" menu link to activate the drop down menu to then select the radar link. It simply activates the link and sends me to the general current weather link. Checked some other websites and the same thing.

The one thing that kept me hanging on was the browsing experience. Up until today, I can only describe it as stellar. However, now as I read about the drop in expected earnings at RIM (did not meet projected revenues), the sense in the mobile phone world that Blackberry is playing cath-up to Apple and Google with the Ipad and Android, for the first time this morning I encountered the same feeling I had as Palm was heading down the toilet.

Can anyone save me from this feeling? When I was with Palm, the hype and hope of WebOS kept me hanging on, pushing aside the negative feelings I had with the loyalty and "faith" I had in Palm management saving the day by finally doing it right. Yea, I know HP rode in and took Palm, but how many times today do you really hear about WebOS and think (Yea, they are rockin!) This morning the little red flashing light started going off in my mind that I was starting down the same journey with Blackberry. I want to be saved (despise the corporate mentality of Apple and Google) and want to be the independent thinker and stay with a company I can like. However, this morning really set me off in some weird way.

Can anyone help on why my browser will not let me select a specific item under a drop down menu on websites. I have restarted, deleted the link and re-added and nothing works. That lovin feeling for Blackberry may be slipping. Need some encouragement. Thanks for letting me vent a bit!

The Hankster
    agault likes this.
    05-01-11 07:56 AM
    If you've got a "little red light" going off in your head as a mental notification, it may be too late for you to switch to anything else
    Phil DeLong likes this.
    05-01-11 08:07 AM
    I cannot help you with your browser issues, but I can certainly empathize with you on how you are feeling.

Coincidentally, I too was a Palm user for many years. Only it was more of the PDA era for me. My last Palm was the LifeDrive, which pretty much ended up as a very expensive paper weight for me, until one day, tired of moving it around on my desk I tossed it in the trash can (true story!).

I have used BlackBerries for a bit longer than you - I'm on my 4th model, no, make that 5th, including the PlayBook, and like you, I have never owned an Apple (except an early model ipod).

Unfortunately, also like you, I have become very worried regarding the direction in which RIM seems to be headed. The general consensus in both the technology world and the financial world is that they are not doing very well right now, and this leads me to the feeling that with regards the PlayBook at least, I may end up with another expensive paper weight. The fact that other tablets seem to be launching on almost a daily basis does not help make me feel any better!

My 9650 Bold still works VERY well for me, although I did downgrade back to v.5 software. I do not see myself needing to switch phones anytime soon, and I am really hoping that RIM will step up to the plate and not drop the ball on the PlayBook.

C'mon RIM.........we know you can do it!!
    05-01-11 08:15 AM
    To the OP, Can't help you on this one as I'm totally new to the QNX OS. But I feel for you and understand totally. I have a Xoom/Honeycomb and the BBPB and wish that Honeycomb ran as strong as QNX, maybe someday after the updates who knows? But for me I just love the way everything works on the BBPB. I would Imagine after the updates everything will start to click. For now BBRIM needs to get out native apps and native email ASAP or it's to late. So lets hope for something quick because other tabs couldn't hold a candle to this OS and to me that would be a crying shame.
    Last edited by edandrea; 05-01-11 at 08:18 AM.
    05-01-11 08:16 AM
    To select (like hovering on a link), hold down on a link you want to hover until you see options menu and tap cancel. The link will be selected and you won't navigate to the link.

A nice trick I found out yesterday
    05-01-11 08:16 AM
    hey hankster, unfortunately with phones, technology and girlfriends. if it dont feel right look else where.

my browser experience has been amazing so far. yes there are things that dont work right. but no other tab could do what i can do on this one. so we cant sway you or "save" you. unlike webos, qnx is real. and rim is going to be kicking and screaming playing catchup and innovating

in regards to spell check isnt it funny your pb knows your spelling wrong by underlining but can not correct it lol
    05-01-11 08:18 AM
    As an ex Treo/centro user, I too am having a sense of Deja Vu. I never went the Microsoft route though. I think most of their stuff is awful.
    05-01-11 08:56 AM
    As an ex Treo/centro user, I too am having a sense of Deja Vu. I never went the Microsoft route though. I think most of their stuff is awful.
    I was at treo user with the 600, 650 and Centro (refused to try the WinMo garbage), and finally switched over to BB with the 8830. The only correlation between RIM and Palm is the fact that they were both slow to get the next gen stuff to the field. Palm was never strong financially and was living phone release to phone release. RIM has almost $3 Billion cash on hand and can ride out things easier. The Playbook is out now and we know what to expect with QNX/Tablet OS somewhat. I think it has any other mobile beat soundly, they just need to get the developer community behind it and get it integrated into the BIS/BES infrastructure quicker.
    05-01-11 09:18 AM
    As one of the posters said, for Intellicast Weather, as well as the other sites you are having a problem with, hold down your finger on the 'current' link until the copy/paste menu pops up, then just touch one of the menu's items, and you will be able to select one of the drop down items.
    05-01-11 09:25 AM
    I expect Palm's upcoming webOS tablet to be the best alternative to the iPad if HP can execute and bring third party developers on board better than Palm did with the Pre. webOS is quite good, and has a technical head start on what RIM's working with. So I think it will be better than the PlayBook right out of the gate. That may be your best bet if you're averse to Apple products.

Personally, I don't understand mixing emotion/principle with quantitative factors. Just buy the the best device that meets your needs and budget; if you artificially have to remove Apple products from your tablet options, the rest are going to be gambles until they establish themselves, and you're going to be a guinea pig.
    iN8ter likes this.
    05-01-11 09:38 AM
    Agree. It will just be interesting to see how HP prices them. Maybe that info is out there, but I haven't bothered to dig it up yet.

If WebOS does good on the tablet than that will help them in the smartphone space, and they are poised to release some good smartphones later this year and next year...

For smartphones their only issue was hardware, so they have a headstart in that area as well as far as delivering a good consumer product. RIM does have a headstart with marketshare and WebOS has even less of an ecosystem than Blackberry...
    05-01-11 10:06 AM
    I don't get a lot of these threads of people needing some sort of emotional support with their gadget purchases. Just use what suits you best guys.

My experience with the PlayBook has been great so far. I think QNX is going to be an excellent foundation for future BlackBerry hardware.

If I didn't feel that way I'd go with something else. I use a BlackBerry for it's strong email support. I also had an iPod and later an iPad to play around with game apps. I sold my iPad to get a PlayBook and I've not missed the iPad at all. There's no reason to limit your tech options in my opinion.

All said I think the PlayBook is going to do well and get tons of support since it's basically ground zero for the entire company's vision. (QNX)
    05-01-11 10:30 AM
    Agree. It will just be interesting to see how HP prices them. Maybe that info is out there, but I haven't bothered to dig it up yet.

If WebOS does good on the tablet than that will help them in the smartphone space, and they are poised to release some good smartphones later this year and next year...

For smartphones their only issue was hardware, so they have a headstart in that area as well as far as delivering a good consumer product. RIM does have a headstart with marketshare and WebOS has even less of an ecosystem than Blackberry...
    I don't agree that the only WebOS was hardware. The app support was and is terrible.
    05-01-11 11:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD