and that makes me wonder... WHAT was SO wrong with iPad2? or even iPad1?

I have iPad2 - and it is great for its uses - but WHY would I now get a new one?

If users are now "upgrading" their iPad2 - it tells me that they either are Not happy with it, or that they have money burning in their pockets to get whatever is the latest....

What is the purpose?
    There's a lot of people who update only every other release if the updates are incremental instead of major.

The major bump in resolution is like going from DVD to Hi-Def. Apps are already being updated to utilize it, but it won't be readily apparent until some killer apps take full advantage of it.
    03-19-12 04:19 PM
    OP I like your list of what to expect. All the signs are pointing to great things from RIM in the near future
    03-19-12 04:35 PM
    Later this year, Microsoft will release Windows 8 for ARM tablets. It will include an office suite and native email.

This brings the number of major operating systems for tablets to 3: iOS, Android, and Windows 8. QNX is not yet a major player.
    Actually, with exactly zero Windows 8 tablet devices out there, they can hardly be called a major player... yet... just sayin'
    03-19-12 04:47 PM
    I'm curious about these records. I've read two articles now, one from BGR, where the sales were described as well below expectations, no long lines and no sell outs as in previous releases.
    The same BGR that reported the iPad was ditching the home button? The same one that posted the RIM employee open letter? Hmmm. . .

Keep in mind that, last year, there were no pre-orders, hence long lines. Also keep in mind that the "record sales" were noted by Tim Cook during this morning's conference call, and the last time he made that claim (during Apple's October earnings call re the in-progress holiday quarter's sales) regarding the iPhone and iPad the company went on to report 37 million iPhones sold and 15.4 million iPads sold.

I would wait for Gartiner's figures, as they only report sales to end users, not shipments to retailers, which skew sales figures.
    You haven't thought this through. Most of Apple's sales come from their retail and online stores. For those products, there is no "retailer," as the product is shipped/sold directly to customers, so there would be no "shipped" vs "sold" distinction. As for Gartner reporting only sales to end users, if that's the case, why don't we know how many PlayBooks have been sold?
    03-19-12 04:49 PM
    03-19-12 04:56 PM
    Why does everyone thread here turn into a discussion about:

1) iPad's advantages, though technically minor (but for Apple availability), and
    2) RIM better get its act together or it will become even more irrelevant?

This forum is getting quite dull.
    03-19-12 05:07 PM
    Why does everyone thread here turn into a discussion about:

1) iPad's advantages, though technically minor (but for Apple availability), and
    2) RIM better get its act together or it will become even more irrelevant?

Shhhhhh. Don't tell anyone. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Edward Bernays - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Propaganda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    03-19-12 05:25 PM
    Threads like this have me hearing voices more then usual....one voice in particular is that line from Eleanor Rigby, "....all those lonely people, where do they all come from......".

Off to re-take my meds.....
    Take some for me, too! I can tell, I came home from skiing too early!
    03-19-12 05:43 PM
    While I share your concern about the position RIM finds itself in I don't know what if anything can be done about it...
    ...A company simply can't do what RIM has done ( better said NOT done ) without suffering the consequences.
    ...At this point they simply can't even begin to compete with Apple or Droid - the market reflects this.
    So why try to compete with Apple or Droid in the consumer tablet market! Blackberry cellphones are well known throughout the world for their security. I am sure the Playbook is designed the same way. So why isn't RIM concentrating on business applications that require high security.

I am seeing more and more hospitals and doctors using tablets. Patient records require the highest security. From what I understand a Playbook can easily be bricked if lost or stolen. I doubt if an open source Android tablet can be made secure enough.

My guess is that RIM will exit the consumer market by year end and concentrate on niche business applications. RIM is still very profitable with its cell phone line just about everywhere but the USA. Why not leverage the cell phone market with the Playbook.

In the medical field, the Playbook would be great for reference, taking notes (it has a camera and microphone), and taking pictures of patient's illnesses. A Playbook designed for the medical field could be very profitable. And RIM would likely have the market all to themselves.
    03-19-12 06:04 PM
    I just wanted to know where is RIM heading in terms of Tablet and what features we will be getting in BB 10...
    I haven't said any thing about i make a comparison between New Ipad and Playbook.

I just wanted to know what every one is expecting to be there in BB 10 in terms of features.
    Last edited by dhriak; 03-20-12 at 01:47 AM.
    03-20-12 01:39 AM
    So why try to compete with Apple or Droid in the consumer tablet market! Blackberry cellphones are well known throughout the world for their security. I am sure the Playbook is designed the same way. So why isn't RIM concentrating on business applications that require high security.

I am seeing more and more hospitals and doctors using tablets. Patient records require the highest security. From what I understand a Playbook can easily be bricked if lost or stolen. I doubt if an open source Android tablet can be made secure enough.

My guess is that RIM will exit the consumer market by year end and concentrate on niche business applications. RIM is still very profitable with its cell phone line just about everywhere but the USA. Why not leverage the cell phone market with the Playbook.

In the medical field, the Playbook would be great for reference, taking notes (it has a camera and microphone), and taking pictures of patient's illnesses. A Playbook designed for the medical field could be very profitable. And RIM would likely have the market all to themselves.
    Good point, I think you have a valid argument here. RIM's original plan was to focus on the enterprise market with the PlayBook. However, they flip-flopped and ended up not making up their minds. If they wanted to go for the enterprise market, they needed to sell their security and the strength of their enterprise software. However, they didn't do that and ended up giving up the market to Apple. Now iPad dominates the enterprise market just as they do the consumer market.

I don't think that cost cutting is the long term solution to RIM's tablet woes. I think RIM should refocus on winning the enterprise market with strong encryption, business software applications, and some sort of software platform offering, something like a Microsoft Azure for tablets. The enterprise market does not care if the tablet has tons of games, RIM went the other way to please consumers and ended up stiffed on both ends. I think RIM could take back the enterprise tablet market if they refocused. Go RIM!
    FF22 likes this.
    03-20-12 07:58 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD