I don't know what to say...everybody is so excited with the New Ipad and two of my friends already purchased the New Ipad and they every-time compare it with my Playbook...I am not complaining about anything that Playbook owns or to the RIM.....

But my concern is where is RIM heading in terms of tablet or what are they planning...I know they already know what are we expecting from the new OS that will be released in future. RIM should do a loyal customer survey and should find out what are we expecting in real terms.

RIM should put up an list of things that will be coming in the upcoming OS and let the fans add the comments what can be added or should be upgraded in their current features. We all want more advanced UI (i love current interface), TAT, instant messenger, cross platform apps, better photo viewing, Skype, video chat with cross platform integration, In-built photo editing etc etc. Please friend don't think i am saying too much. I really want to grow with RIM and their playbook.

Come on friends lets make RIM hear what we want and what Playbook is capable of doing.

Thanks friends. Take Care.
    03-19-12 11:21 AM
    I'm sure RIM appreciates your concern.

I believe there is a place here: https://beta.webapps.blackberry.com/...ct=index&item=

where you can tell them what you'd like to see.
    Last edited by Slalom; 03-19-12 at 11:59 AM.
    03-19-12 11:54 AM
    I don't know what to say...everybody is so excited with the New Ipad and two of my friends already purchased the New Ipad and they every-time compare it with my Playbook....
    Could it be that they need to keep justifying their spending so much more for so little more?
    03-19-12 11:55 AM
    The problem is that "our voices" all talk about different priorities. I didn't see anything on your list that RIM probably is unaware of. A survey, which they have done, is not the best way to plan a tech roadmap. Leave it to the professionals.
    03-19-12 11:59 AM
    @TheScionicMan, Dont take me wrong friend..yes everybody has different priorities and sometime some priorities are missed. even you must be having some thing in your mind that you want RIM to implement in the OS so that later we don't miss them to enjoy right.
    03-19-12 12:13 PM
    I don't know what to say...everybody is so excited with the New Ipad and two of my friends already purchased the New Ipad and they every-time compare it with my Playbook...I am not complaining about anything that Playbook owns or to the RIM.....

But my concern is where is RIM heading in terms of tablet or what are they planning...I know they already know what are we expecting from the new OS that will be released in future. RIM should do a loyal customer survey and should find out what are we expecting in real terms.

RIM should put up an list of things that will be coming in the upcoming OS and let the fans add the comments what can be added or should be upgraded in their current features. We all want more advanced UI (i love current interface), TAT, instant messenger, cross platform apps, better photo viewing, Skype, video chat with cross platform integration, In-built photo editing etc etc. Please friend don't think i am saying too much. I really want to grow with RIM and their playbook.

Come on friends lets make RIM hear what we want and what Playbook is capable of doing.

Apple is setting RECORDS with the ipad 3. I am curious to see RIM's earnings at the end of the month.
    03-19-12 12:40 PM
    does any one know what does BB 10 is going to carry in terms of features.
    03-19-12 12:45 PM
    Apple is setting RECORDS with the ipad 3. I am curious to see RIM's earnings at the end of the month.
    Why on earth does it matter whether or not some other company is setting records or not?

And why are you curious to see RIM's earnings at the end of the month? So that you can post one more useless "Apple is setting records" in this or some other thread?

I'm quite sure many here wouldn't know what to make of a company's financials if they bit you on the nose!
    03-19-12 12:48 PM
    And what record did they set?

Sales of the new iPad set new records, say Apple and AT&T - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech
    alnamvet68 and Willard814 like this.
    03-19-12 12:53 PM
    I'm curious about these records. I've read two articles now, one from BGR, where the sales were described as well below expectations, no long lines and no sell outs as in previous releases. They actually called several Apple stores in metro areas, as well as retailers and all had plenty of stock. And there were actually concerns from Apple initially about meeting demand because of the component shortages for the display. Doesn't sound like they have a problem after all. I would wait for Gartiner's figures, as they only report sales to end users, not shipments to retailers, which skew sales figures.

http://www.bgr.com/2012/03/16/ipad-l...the-sell-outs/
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 03-19-12 at 01:20 PM.
    03-19-12 12:59 PM

I'm curious. When did Apple tell your friends what "upgrades" it was giving to its customers?
    alnamvet68 and Willard814 like this.
    03-19-12 01:10 PM
    Could it be that they need to keep justifying their spending so much more for so little more?
    Possibly. There's a news article where the author went to an Apple store to see what other people's reasons for buying it was, and aside from 4G there was no real good reason aside from "it's cooler" it's possible that the OP's friends are having some difficulty justifying their purchase.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-19-12 01:14 PM
    Threads like this have me hearing voices more then usual....one voice in particular is that line from Eleanor Rigby, "....all those lonely people, where do they all come from......".

Off to re-take my meds.....
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 03-19-12 at 02:36 PM.
    03-19-12 01:36 PM
    Here we go again! I DO NOT CARE about iPad. People can buy whatever they want with their money, but I am just not interested.

If you think RIM needs to listen to you - write to them, don't go on about it! We've had everyone and his dog giving their 5 pence/cents worth, and the point being made by many in this thread is that we all have different things as a priority.
    03-19-12 02:17 PM
    You need new friends. [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gY3QmYqfgRI#![/YT]
    Willard814 and wscotchmer like this.
    03-19-12 02:28 PM
    and that makes me wonder... WHAT was SO wrong with iPad2? or even iPad1?

I have iPad2 - and it is great for its uses - but WHY would I now get a new one?

If users are now "upgrading" their iPad2 - it tells me that they either are Not happy with it, or that they have money burning in their pockets to get whatever is the latest....

What is the purpose?
    03-19-12 02:38 PM

I have iPad2 - and it is great for its uses - but WHY would I now get a new one?

If users are now "upgrading" their iPad2 - it tells me that they either are Not happy with it, or that they have money burning in their pockets to get whatever is the latest....

What is the purpose?

None, except if you make your fan base believe that what they now own is obsolete, then you will have these believers eating out of your hand. That's what I like about RIM products, planned obsolescence is not part of their mantra; my 8330 Curve works exceptionally well when I Bridge, and I see no need to upgrade that one until the BBX phone is released. I cannot imagine dumping my PlayBook for a newer version, unless it becomes a foldable, flex screened see through device that unfolds up to a 10" screen when needed as a tablet, and folds down to a shirt pocketable device that is also a phone. Now THAT would be resorevolutionary.
    spike12 likes this.
    03-19-12 02:44 PM

What is the purpose?
    Because the new Ipad was a major upgrade. It has the new iInlaw Display! It'll let you see when your inlaws are on their way but not as pixelated as current models.
    03-19-12 02:53 PM

The success of any RIM tablet moving forward hinges upon RIM's upcoming BB10 phones and their support of RIM's version of cloud computing. You've got to start your app platform on the phones first as this is what developers are looking for to justify financial sense in writing them. iOS and Android have a head start on this and Windows Phone OS and tablet behind. The sad part of how RIM implemented the tablet is relying on Bridge so you do not have to make a emulator player for the phone OS. I think it is a mistake because not everyone who is buying a Playbook has a BB phone. This again limits app developer to make apps for 2 different platforms. The funny thing is that, you may have an app on the BB phone, but you may not have an equivalent app on the Playbook that has a similar interface. Whereas with iOS devices, you can run iPhone app at 1x or 2x on an iPad.
    03-19-12 02:54 PM
    None, except if you make your fan base believe that what they now own is obsolete, then you will have these believers eating out of your hand. That's what I like about RIM products, planned obsolescence is not part of their mantra; my 8330 Curve works exceptionally well when I Bridge, and I see no need to upgrade that one until the BBX phone is released. I cannot imagine dumping my PlayBook for a newer version, unless it becomes a foldable, flex screened see through device that unfolds up to a 10" screen when needed as a tablet, and folds down to a shirt pocketable device that is also a phone. Now THAT would be resorevolutionary.
    It won't be revolutionary until apple copies it and markets it as revolutionary..........
    03-19-12 02:58 PM
    Possibly. There's a news article where the author went to an Apple store to see what other people's reasons for buying it was, and aside from 4G there was no real good reason aside from "it's cooler" it's possible that the OP's friends are having some difficulty justifying their purchase.
    Customer was quoted while buying a new ipad 3

"I don't think it's worth the price but I guess I'm a victim of society,"
    03-19-12 03:07 PM
    Later this year, Microsoft will release Windows 8 for ARM tablets. It will include an office suite and native email.

This brings the number of major operating systems for tablets to 3: iOS, Android, and Windows 8. QNX is not yet a major player.

Playbook sales still have not taken off, so when BB10 is released, it may be too little too late.

Even the most ardent Playbook Fan boy should be concerned with it's survival.

RIM needs to develop some "killer" apps of its own. There's no money to be made in the consumer market. RIM needs to concentrate on business apps where it has a lot of expertise. It will never catch up to Apple and is far behind the Android tablets in terms of apps.

RIM needs to stop talking about being BOLD and just do it! Bold means cutting edge but not necessarily in terms of hardware. It needs BOLD apps. Typical consumers are fickle and want everything for nothing. Business customers want the best bang for the buck and are often willing to pay a little extra to get it.

The Playbook is a niche device, so why not market it that way!

That's my two cents worth on this subject.
    03-19-12 03:27 PM
    Later this year, Microsoft will release Windows 8 for ARM tablets. It will include an office suite and native email.

This brings the number of major operating systems for tablets to 3: iOS, Android, and Windows 8. QNX is not yet a major player.

Playbook sales still have not taken off, so when BB10 is released, it may be too little too late.

Even the most ardent Playbook Fan boy should be concerned with it's survival.

RIM needs to develop some "killer" apps of its own. There's no money to be made in the consumer market. RIM needs to concentrate on business apps where it has a lot of expertise. It will never catch up to Apple and is far behind the Android tablets in terms of apps.

RIM needs to stop talking about being BOLD and just do it! Bold means cutting edge but not necessarily in terms of hardware. It needs BOLD apps. Typical consumers are fickle and want everything for nothing. Business customers want the best bang for the buck and are often willing to pay a little extra to get it.

The Playbook is a niche device, so why not market it that way!

That's my two cents worth on this subject.
    I think RIM's earnings report coming out soon will have a lot to say about the future/viability of the PB. And with the onslaught of new competition from Google and Microsoft...I wonder if PB can capture enough market share to become financial viable.
    03-19-12 03:55 PM
    Forget the meds....."mother, whip me up a batch of Plantation Punch."
    03-19-12 03:57 PM
    While I share your concern about the position RIM finds itself in I don't know what if anything can be done about it...
    ...A company simply can't do what RIM has done ( better said NOT done ) without suffering the consequences.
    ...At this point they simply can't even begin to compete with Apple or Droid - the market reflects this.
    03-19-12 04:05 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD