BlackBerry Messenger Coming To iPhone And Android | TheTechJournal.com

I hope this roomer is true, because Apple, Nokia, and Google have all announced that they are developing messaging apps to compete with BBM.

If RIM develops a cross platform BBM strategy, they can enhance their name recognition amongst different user bases and grow market share! BBM will kill SMS. A cross platform BBM strategy will only enhance RIM's reputation. I thought that they should have done this a while ago, but now seams like the perfect time to release the capability, if it exists, and before any one of the other messaging apps gets any kind of traction. The best defence is a good offence.

P.S. Does anyone know if BBM will be released natively on the PB?
    Last edited by technology_fanboy; 06-12-11 at 11:27 PM.
    06-12-11 11:22 PM
    I don't think RIM will make such a cross-platform BBM any time soon. They have to get their new devices on the market first! Even Playbook does not have BBM yet...
    06-12-11 11:31 PM
    Nah, just wait for BBM6 with its new APIs, give it time so developers can creat neat applications that integrate with it, and it will probably rip the heart out of iMessages.

BBM6 has moved away from "just messaging and picture sending". It is becoming more of a social platform.
    06-12-11 11:36 PM
    BBM is king.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-11 12:33 AM
    Yeah, RIM should definitely release their only strong selling point to all platforms - NOT. You got to be kidding.
    Especially they could never make sure it's as secure as on a BB and therefore loose that selling point as well.

Who would buy a BB if you can have push email and BBM on any device? Give you a guess: less than now.
    06-13-11 12:35 AM
    if other devices have bbm, why will people continue to buy Blackberries? A lot of people only have a Blackberry for BBM...
    howarmat and Spawn12 like this.
    06-13-11 01:29 AM
    sadly its not gonna happen
    i know, many of you think "why would anyone still buy a blackberry then?" and all this ****, and hope for it not to go cross-platform
    but i really wish it'd happen

i mean, i got IM+ (for my icq/msn/skype/fb chat etc needs)
    then we got stuff like fb, twitter etc
    stuff like sms, email

and we got BBM ! should be enough, right?
    but one thing i still really want is a cross platform messenger, one for smartphones only
    of course i could use apps like LiveProfile or WhatsApp, but i dont want another app always running in the background, so..
    gogo BBM : )
    06-13-11 04:15 AM
    Am i right in saying MSN Messenger isn't available on PB yet? Odd, being as its available on my 9700.
    06-13-11 06:28 AM
    Am i right in saying MSN Messenger isn't available on PB yet? Odd, being as its available on my 9700.
    Yeeeh its not, but you can probably use the web based wlm from the windows live website.
    06-13-11 06:38 AM
    Yeah, RIM should definitely release their only strong selling point to all platforms - NOT. You got to be kidding.
    Especially they could never make sure it's as secure as on a BB and therefore loose that selling point as well.

Who would buy a BB if you can have push email and BBM on any device? Give you a guess: less than now.
    Right, I guess they want RIM to give up and be the SEGA of smartphones, lol.

Look, RIM needs to compete and offer great phones and then there won't be a need for BBM to go cross-platform.
    06-13-11 07:16 AM
    At the conference in May, RIM stated it isn't going to happen. That article is from March 4th.
    Shao128 likes this.
    06-13-11 07:57 AM
    This article is just re-reporting what BGR said a while ago. As we know, BGR has been consistently wrong about it's BlackBerry rumours lately so it doesn't mean much.
    06-13-11 08:27 AM
    The best defence is a good offence.
    But what do you think they are they defending? RIM doesn't care about BBM marketshare; they use BBM as a selling point for their own devices. Making BBM available for iOS and Android is not going to help RIM sell devices; instead, it makes them bear the burden of messaging for non-RIM devices.

Also, the article at the basis of the link is more than 3 months old, and the only iOS/Android thing we've heard from RIM since is that they will be supporting both under BES, which does make sense as a method of protecting the BES platform.
    06-13-11 09:07 AM
    One of the worst things RIM can do to itself is making BBM cross platform...if they do that then RIM can kiss their company goodbye in all honesty.

I hope and i say this seriously, i hope to god RIM never ever ever EVER makes BBM cross platform...they dont need to when you have the likes of whatsapp and liveprofile on the market then theres apples new rip off of BBM, imessage...
    06-13-11 12:57 PM
    Even if BBM went cross-platform (which I agree is a HORRIBLE idea) people probably wouldn't even use it. Why, you ask? Well I'll tell you. There's no "i". Make it iBBM and you've got yourself an international best seller.
    06-13-11 01:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD