BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Loses Marketing Chief - WSJ.com

This might explain the lack of a release announcement and the general lack of any marketing at all over the PlayBook.

If it seems like the PlayBook release has been a captain-less ship, that is because its captain just jumped ship.
    03-05-11 02:07 PM
    It still says he's helping RIM for a 6 month period.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-11 02:13 PM
    "RIM didn't say whether the company had hired a successor."

Why bother.
    03-05-11 02:22 PM
    BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Loses Marketing Chief - WSJ.com

This might explain the lack of a release announcement and the general lack of any marketing at all over the PlayBook.

If it seems like the PlayBook release has been a captain-less ship, that is because its captain just jumped ship.
    Hmmm....wonder why he really left. With something so "huge" on the horizon. Personal reasons? Way too vague.

Obviously something we don't know, and are not being told.
    03-05-11 02:31 PM
    Obviously something we don't know, and are not being told.
    D�j� vu.

03-05-11 02:33 PM
    It's a shame to read about this so early in the year. Hopefully, his reason is not due to something too serious like doubts about the device, etc.
    03-05-11 02:59 PM
    Maybe RIM is wanting to go a new direction and feel it needs to happen.

It may be for the best honestly because quite frankly here in the States RIM marketing has been very sub par.
    03-05-11 03:03 PM
    It still says he's helping RIM for a 6 month period.

that's just corporate speak for "he's gone, but we're going to keep paying him for a little while."
    03-05-11 03:06 PM
    I'm just amazed that he has to stay on for 6 months for a "transition" period, don't they have succession planning? No one was qualified enough to take over the position without having this guy look over his/her shoulder?

This of course won't affect my decision to get a PB, but it'd be nice for the public to have at least an image that the PB is a winner, instead all we get is wise-cracking posts about vaporware...
    03-05-11 03:11 PM
    I'm just amazed that he has to stay on for 6 months for a "transition" period, don't they have succession planning? No one was qualified enough to take over the position without having this guy look over his/her shoulder?

This of course won't affect my decision to get a PB, but it'd be nice for the public to have at least an image that the PB is a winner, instead all we get is wise-cracking posts about vaporware...

WHEN ever you can have a transition period with a senior level staff member you do it.

There are small things that no one thinks of in the day to day/week to week of these Sr level managers, being able to transition them out cleanly with a new person taking over is ideal unless the person is a complete tool and you don't want the replacement picking up the ball, but instead changing the game
    The Legendary, Machzy and rick0415 like this.
    03-05-11 03:21 PM
    Unfortunately this once again casts doubt on the corporate structure of RIM, and their ability to deliver.

Just MY personal opinion!

03-05-11 03:23 PM
    Succession planning is only effective if the termination/retirement of an employee is a planned evolution, I don't think that is the case. All of corporate america is running at minimums, cross training for the ability to take over positions is not always feasible. As mentioned, I don't think we are hearing the whole story.
    03-05-11 03:24 PM
    Unfortunately this once again casts doubt on the corporate structure of RIM, and their ability to deliver.

Just MY personal opinion!

Because they let an employee go?
    03-05-11 03:28 PM
    Because they let an employee go?
    No they can't keep their marketing department intact near huge 1st gen tablet release. This is scary and can be a sign of things to come.
    03-05-11 03:51 PM
    No they can't keep their marketing department intact near huge 1st gen tablet release. This is scary and can be a sign of things to come.
    Wow, it sounds as if you know the circumstances surrounding him being let go. In order to make a statement like that you have to have some inside scoop, please inform the rest of us as to what actually went down! What information do you have to back up your claim?....
    03-05-11 03:58 PM
    I don't think he felt he had a product he could succeed with in the PB. He said he wanted to leave a month ago.
    03-05-11 04:14 PM
    Wow, it sounds as if you know the circumstances surrounding him being let go. In order to make a statement like that you have to have some inside scoop, please inform the rest of us as to what actually went down! What information do you have to back up your claim?....
    Let's not get carried away here! Almost everyone on these forums is expressing a personal opinion, or being speculative in one way or another.

However, whichever way you look at it, when there is a change in a corporation so soon before the release of such an important product, it is usually not a positive sign.

Again, just MY personal opinion.

03-05-11 04:28 PM
    Does anyone remember that RIM just changed Marketing Companies?

RIM picks 72andSunny and BBDO | Marketing Magazine

I'm sure this is all tied together and that they wanted the last bit of the PB marketing to be under the same umbrella with the Chief. Personally, I think that as they are moving towards a new OS, a new Market, and a new company, that a new Chief is probably in order.

I have no concerns with the move.
    Intosh likes this.
    03-05-11 04:28 PM
    A much needed change, RIMs marketing has been complete garbage and non-existant as of late.
    03-05-11 06:43 PM
    A much needed change, RIMs marketing has been complete garbage and non-existant as of late.
    Really?? It's been a long, steady campaign in Canada at least. They use every avenue from television and print to music videos and twitter. (Not to mention that anyone who's "anyone" miraculously can be "seen" rockin' a BB, and CB routinely brings them to our attention).
    03-05-11 07:16 PM
    maybe now these new phones lined up will actually be advertised
    03-05-11 07:32 PM
    phones?!? what about the game changing device that is suppose to saves RIMs **** in a month! lol
    03-05-11 07:34 PM
    phones?!? what about the game changing device that is suppose to saves RIMs **** in a month! lol
    the guy's not instantly gone :/ 6months i heard? idk but yeah a PB commercial wouldnt hurt
    03-05-11 07:37 PM
    I wish I was as unsuccessful as RIM.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    03-05-11 07:38 PM
    I wish I was as unsuccessful as RIM.
    Me too, cause i'd still have billions in the bank
    03-05-11 07:47 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD