Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By ericlc2
  • 3 Post By togardergrosse
  • 1 Post By F2
  • 1 Post By Skeevecr
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default RIM at IFA

Starting today in Berlin is an event that many Americans don't know about, IFA.

It is a huge consumer electronics exhibition. RIM will be there. It would be a great opportunity for RIM to release something nice or make an announcment of some kind. I don't know if anything will happen but it is a possibility.

IFA - Home

http://www.virtualmarket.ifa-berlin....on=showCompany
    Last edited by lawguyman; 08-31-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lawguyman View Post

It is a huge consumer electronics exhibition. RIM will be there. It would be a great opportunity for RIM to release something nice or make an announcment of some kind. I don't know if anything will happen but it is a possibility.

IFA - Home

Research in Motion Deutschland GmbH BlackBerry: IFA Virtual Market Place
    That seems to apply to all things Rim!
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

If we get a big update soon, it will probably happen during IFA. Samsung has made major tablet and phone announcements this morning. Sony made some yesterday.

If we don't see one during IFA, it probably won't be until Devcon in October.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,090 Global Posts

The tablet space is really heading up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,195 Global Posts

I'd like to start the long weekend with OS2.0.
    scottae316 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    568 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lawguyman View Post

IFA - Home

Research in Motion Deutschland GmbH BlackBerry: IFA Virtual Market Place
    Don't expect any announcement as all things point to the OS 2.0 release in late summer which can be as late as mid october to early November but likely before christmas, although I hear Australians have christmas in summer, so who knows.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts

Os Will need to be out before September 22nd the end of summer, or they will lose credibility and receieve a back lash from the media and all the people that bought the playbook.
    --- Sent From Mobile Device While on the Can! ---
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Rim's Q2 2012 earnings call is only two weeks away. I expect at least there will be some talk about this update then.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,090 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline_x View Post
    Os Will need to be out before September 22nd the end of summer, or they will lose credibility and receieve a back lash from the media and all the people that bought the playbook.
    lol...you still believe they have credibility to lose...

They are likely to come out and deny saying summer!

60 days ring a bell?

What they really meant was the end of Summer, Summer Glau. She's fairly young so we have years to wait.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    PIN
    Disclosed

Oh well, nothing new to see here..

*back to watch 500 Days of Summer*
    Phone history: Ericsson T20s > T28s > T29s > T39m > Sony Ericsson K508i > K640i > BlackBerry Curve 8330 > Bold 9650 > Galaxy Nexus & Bold 9900
    Tablet history: Galaxy Tab P1000 16Gb, PlayBook 16Gb
    F2, scottae316 and gtpointer like this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,964 Global Posts

Keep your expectations extremely low with RIM and you will be only marginally disappointed. That said they have to get native e-mail by September 22, or like others have said, what little credibility they have left will be shot. You can't expect developers, consumers, etc. to support a platform that the company can't even properly support.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    PIN
    P.M. me for a possible answer.

Well to honest, I can only guess these discounted sales only means they need to play catch up before the big press show.
    Anyways, I can only HOPE they don't disappoint. Although once it does come... I'm dreaming it'll put 50% of our minds to rest.
    Are you really that bored to read my signature, or am I just that interesting to you?

Quote Originally Posted by artsheart View Post
    Rumor today on ZD Net that Staples is selling the Playbook for 50% off ... soon.

Best Buy and Staples offering big discounts on the BlackBerry PlayBook | ZDNet
    That's old news here - and here's probably where they first saw it!
    rleo25 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

here some pics from the RIM Dome at the IFA out of a german BlackBerry Forum
    [Sonstiges] Bilder vom RIM Dome auf der IFA Berlin - Taverne - BlackBerryBase.net - Euer BlackBerry Community Forum
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Pin..whaaat?!?

BTW- the IFA is the LARGEST consumer tradefair for entertainment (electronics) in the world! BlackBerry is represented with a "dome"... Its a small tent... The appereance of RIM (tent, some devices 9900, 9810, 9850, playbook, curve) is more than poor... Europe seems to be an uninteresting market for RIM or the performance for an exhibition is nearly as dilettantish as the current product-palette and the capability of RIM to react in time for market tendencys... Very disappointing! ;-(

CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by serversurfer View Post
    BTW- the IFA is the LARGEST consumer tradefair for entertainment (electronics) in the world! BlackBerry is represented with a "dome"... Its a small tent... The appereance of RIM (tent, some devices 9900, 9810, 9850, playbook, curve) is more than poor... Europe seems to be an uninteresting market for RIM or the performance for an exhibition is nearly as dilettantish as the current product-palette and the capability of RIM to react in time for market tendencys... Very disappointing! ;-(
    The IFA is not the largest trade fair by any stretch of the imagination and claiming that just seems to come across as a way to complain about them based on their presence, your claim about Rim being uninterested in Europe is equally unfounded or did it escape your attention where they launched their entire new range of os7 devices, I'll give you a clue that it wasn't North America this time round.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

IFA is as big as CES.

Not all companies exhibit at these kinds of shows or make them centerpieces of product launches or announcements.

RIM's presence is obviously small at IFA so RIM does not consider it very important. Because of that, it seems that RIMS will not use IFA to announce anything.

Samsung, Toshiba and Lenovo on the other hand used IFA to make major product announcements.

I don't think there is a right answer who is right or even if there is a right or wrong. But, CES is a huge show. No denying that.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gfr3 View Post
    here some pics from the RIM Dome at the IFA out of a german BlackBerry Forum
    [Sonstiges] Bilder vom RIM Dome auf der IFA Berlin - Taverne - BlackBerryBase.net - Euer BlackBerry Community Forum

That tent looks really crappy. That small doorway seems to want to keep you out rather to invite you in. What the heck were they thinking? At this point you'd think they'd want to have complete open access to the phones, not make people file in one at a time and be all crowded and sweaty in there.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,964 Global Posts

They need to fire the manager at RIM in charge of handling these type of events. Is Jim still filling in the for CMO position? If so they need to get that filled quickly.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2B1BC93C

Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    They need to fire the manager at RIM in charge of handling these type of events. Is Jim still filling in the for CMO position? If so they need to get that filled quickly.
    Calm down. I'm pretty sure RIM knows what they're doing. They JUST came out with ALL OS7 devices. They didn't even really need to be at IFA if anything.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rgainsmi View Post
    They are likely to come out and deny saying summer!
    I am sure the co-CEOs really meant Indian Summer which tends to occur randomly in the midst of Winter. Your definition of Summer is obviously faulty.

RIM - "the communications company that fails to communicate"
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    27EE1588

it will become available when rim decides to make it available. it is not something worth worrying about. when you have it, you'll suddenly stop worrying about it and likely find some other useless thing you have no control over to worry about.

people are funny - peculiar not haha
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

Default Pic at IFA-Berlin

Although it is true that we North Americans would be less than enthused with the RIM 'Dome', I must comment that this kind of structure is very attractive as a design concept to Europeans and Germans in particular. I went to the IFA website and when trolling through onto the Playbook page, the picture of the PB looked a bit different. When I enlarged it, I noticed that the App headings were a bit different, as well as the icons displayed. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the headings are All, Games, Media, Social and Favorites. And I see icons for Messages, Calendar and Contacts, yet at the status icon corner there is no Bridge icon...

Here's the pic itself:RIM at IFA-playbook-ifa.jpg

And I went to a commentator from IFA who hosts BlackberryBest, and on his Facebook page Facebook/BlackberryBest, his profile pic has a Torch 9800 and a Playbook, and the PB has an obscured but different again set of headings and a BBM icon visible although it is different again than what we have.

Just stirring the pot a bit here!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

Just really old picture I think, when RIM hoped they'd have thing like a calendar on the PB when it first came out.

JB already said in May or something that's there would be native email on the PB "in something like 60 days" so there is no credibility left summer Shummer it'll come out when it comes out. I don't expect it to play android apps before the end of 2012. Getting Android to operate smoothly on the playbook, my guess is never.

Don't get me wrong, I like the playbook, but RIM delivering on anything... you can only say beleive it when we see it, and maybe not even then.