This discussion kinda' reminds of of the reason for the existance of an Aston Martin; almost a hundred years after the car was introduced, Aston never had more then 1% of market share, and today, hundreds of well heeled folks each year plop down $50,000.00 deposits on a car that they will have to wait atleast 2, maybe 5 years to get. While I'm not suggesting the PB is the Aston Martin of tablets, what I am saying is that RIM's market share in this case means absolutely nothing to many folks, and I'm am quite sure RIM's intent with the PB is/was not to sell more PB's then Apple does iPads, but introduce a professional product line for those who appreciate its virtues, and who know how to make use of those attributes that are inherent in the PB platform, and leave the profit margin/generating in the hands of their outstanding and highly secure cell phone line.
    well if the PB was selling for 1500$ it would make sense to go after 1% of the market. but when you have to sell at 199$ to move inventory, that 1% is not looking so good , is it ? and we tend to forget, RIM is a BUSINESS ! they have shareholders who want to see growth and value in the stock. they don't make the PB just to please "people who appreciate its virtues". when a business unit is not bringing in any money, it gets shut down. unless the PB was bringing in new customers for the Blackberry but that's not case. it's more like the other way around.
    12-02-11 08:34 AM
    I prefer to live life with a half full glass of fine wine; others prefer to complain about their empty glass of Ripple. The choice is ours alone.
    12-02-11 08:39 AM
    Forget the rumours. There will most likely be a new product next year but RIM will not drop support for the current PB.

As I mentioned in another posting RIM is selling PB's to their employees for $99. They would never do that if they planned to stop support. They would have an internal revolt.

I bought three PB's last week at Staples as a result of RIM offering their staff this pricing deal. Two are for gifts. The other is mine and I no longer have interest in my wifes Ipad. Other then the App shortages mentioned often the PB is a much better product.
    Last edited by JohnBoy28; 12-02-11 at 09:51 AM.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    12-02-11 09:43 AM
    Yes, RIM is discontinuing the Playbook line and going into the men's magazine business where they will show pictures of naked...No wait, that's Playboy. Never mind.
    Barljo likes this.
    12-02-11 09:55 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD