UPDATE 8/2/12
    UPDATE!!!!
    My faith in RIM has been restored. I just received a call from RIM Customer Loyalty and was informed that my Playbook will be repaired at no cost to me!
    Last edited by lovemyplaybook; 08-02-12 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Update!
    08-01-12 03:38 PM
    Did you respond to the email. Tell them the phone rep said no charge?

Also why not get the HDMI fixed while it was under warranty?
    Moonbase0ne likes this.
    08-01-12 03:45 PM
    I can understand your frustration. But, take it to a local cell phone repair shop and have your problem fixed for 35 dollars. Save yourself some time and money. Out of warranty product is an out of warranty product..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    snarlybear likes this.
    08-01-12 03:48 PM
    I am a longtime RIM/Blackberry customer. Today RIM has lost me and my company as a customer.
    My Blackberry Playbook which was purchased a little over a year ago for $499.00 stopped charging due to a loose charging port and has also never had a working H.D.M.I. port. I called Tech support and explained my problem and that my playbooks warranty had just expired and there should be record of my complaints while under warranty.
    He assured me that they would be able to fix the playbook at no charge. I was very happy and had them send me a Fed X box to ship to them. They received my playbook on the 24th of July. Today I received an email telling me they would charge me $99.00 to repair it. Needless to say I am not paying $99.00 to fix the playbook when I could have and still can purchase a new playbook for $199.00.
    Anyway my playbook is being returned not fixed and RIM/Blackberry did not want to budge.
    Because of this I have decided to stop supporting this company from now on. I will purchase a new tablet this weekend and proceed to switch our company's Blackberry's with new cell phones...NOT BLACKBERRY's!`
    Good luck, have fun, don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Really what do you expect for a device that is out of warranty? The tech on the phone isn't the one who makes the calls to whether you have to pay to have your device repaired, so next time talk to a manager to confirm that it will done for free, even get the managers name, email, and PIN just in case service hits you with the bill that way you have something to fall back on.

A.
    snarlybear likes this.
    08-01-12 03:50 PM
    I did tell them that I was told it would be no charge and "no worries".
    I did not send it back because I hated to part with it and was told that as long as there was an issue while under warranty that there would be a record of the defect and there should be no charge. I guess I got a bad CSR originally. I guess the saying is correct, "If you snooze you lose". lol My warranty just expired, less than 30 days.
    Anyway thank you for your response to my post
    08-01-12 03:51 PM
    never had a working H.D.M.I. port
    You should of taken care of this problem as soon as you found out it wasn't working. Good luck with your new tablet.
    08-01-12 03:53 PM
    EricB196
    You are so right!!!
    08-01-12 03:54 PM
    I don't want to be nitpicky but, you had a playbook with those issues and you never bothered to get it RMA'ed until after the warranty period?

Sure your complaints were on record prior to but you still had all that time to get an RMA. Did you get a guarantee and a confirmation code or something from the TS person you spoke to? Why wouldn't you? It goes for any CS or TS person get confirmation for every word they say. Otherwise they are technically not obligated to honor anything.

Don't take this as flaming. I get it. Yes, it sucks that you have to pay $99 for something that you're told would be free, but technically RIM is not in the wrong here. And if you're going to switch thinking other platforms will be different, I think you'll be equally disappointed.

And if in fact you're willing to let this personal incident make you change a whole company's infrastructure out of spite, I have to say you're being a little petty.

Anyways try giving them another call. Maybe you got a cranky TS person.
    Last edited by Houshinto; 08-01-12 at 03:59 PM.
    snarlybear likes this.
    08-01-12 03:55 PM
    If your Playbook is off warranty ... unless you are fixing a pre-existing issue.... warranty would not apply.... I do computer warranty work as part of my business and find vendors will usually not cover repairs off warranty... so RIM's position does not surprise me...

To echo a couple of the othe posts.... I would call RIM.... be polite and ask to speak to a CS supervisor or manager and explain your issue... Many times companies will do something when contacted personally.....

If your off BB good luck with whatever you go to... but remember ...just because you had a bad experience with RIM.... does not mean it will be any different with other device makers... could tell you horror stories with HP Apple Toshiba..... so do some research.....

Your experience is why I always buy extended warranties whenever possible.... smart phone and tablets are the only thing I do this with .... but has save me a lot of aggrevation.....
    08-01-12 03:58 PM
    Houshinto
    We all cant be as perfect as you. I am also glad you do not work for me. I am sorry that I was so trust worthy of the CSR that I spoke to...Shame on me. It is also shameful that my playbook that was never dropped and alwys in a case cant last longer then one year.
    08-01-12 03:59 PM
    dbmalloy
    Thank you for the information. I am always polite to people and would never treat anyone poorly. I treat people with respect just as I would like to be treated. I have asked to speak to a manager and was given the same reply.

Thanks
    08-01-12 04:03 PM
    Well 99 bucks is still way less than buying another tablet no matter who makes it.
    luqman24 likes this.
    08-01-12 04:10 PM
    I'm absolutely amazed at the responses to this poor guy! His $500 device should last longer than a 12 month warranty period. Here in the EU we have strong consumer protection laws which effectively prevent retailers from washing their hands of broken items which fail to last a reasonable length of time. People have managed to get items with known faults replaced up to five years after their purchase, despite the manufacturer only offering a 12 month warranty.

OP, write a letter to the CEO explaining the poor service you have received with a postscript that you expect a *five hundred dollar* device to last well over a year when it has been looked after and well maintained.

To the other posters who think it's acceptable for RIM to wash their hands of well known issues after 12 months: what the heck are you smoking????
    21064a01, RWD and pipotobe like this.
    08-01-12 04:16 PM
    You're missing out!!
    EricB1968 likes this.
    08-01-12 04:21 PM
    To the other posters who think it's acceptable for RIM to wash their hands of well known issues after 12 months: what the heck are you smoking????
    Reality. Does you car dealer repair problems out of warranty. Mine does not.
    Last edited by Gatmyer; 08-01-12 at 04:32 PM.
    snarlybear and bluetroll like this.
    08-01-12 04:22 PM
    Reality. Does you car dealer repair problems out of warrenty. Mine does not.
    A tablet is not a car which has wearable parts, so your analogy is false. However, yes I have had the manufacturer of my car replace a part out of warranty when the dealer agreed that the part in question should have lasted a lot longer than it did (my car was 5 years old and below 50000 miles at the time, it's warranty ran out after 3 years).

A well built and premium product like a playbook should last at least 5 years in my opinion, RIM should be obliged to fix problems for at least 2 years - anything less is, frankly, negligent on their part.
    08-01-12 04:31 PM
    But from RIMs perspective, if you don't have any proof (an email from the TS for instance) stating that there wouldn't be a warranty charge then it would seem that anyone who called in and made that claim could demand free service just on their word.

I would call one more time and nicely request a manager - I bet you can get a better response. Please keep us informed though - thanks for taking the time to recount your experience with RIM service. BTW, my HDMI port output is finicky too but I assumed it was a cable connect issue. Oh well, I am long out of warranty.

On a related note I have two Android tablets also - both Asus - whose porducts I really really like - and the speaker has gone out on one tablet. Also, Android is about as stable as my last wife.

My Playbook though is tops in quality and feel, in comparison.

Just my 2 cents...

Best, R
    08-01-12 04:32 PM
    If you purchased your Playbook with a credit card, many credit cards offer a double up of the OEM warranty period. So if 1 year, then you should get 2 years automatically. Usually it is buried in fine print and you will get reimbursed by the credit card company....but always a solution.

Another reason why I don't buy a extended warranty.

The exact wording from my bank's credit card website:
    "Enjoy worry-free shopping with Purchase Security and Extended Warranty Protection. If an eligible item that you purchased in full with your eligible TD Credit Card is stolen or damaged within 90 days of purchase, it may be replaced or repaired or you will be reimbursed for it. If the item comes with a manufacturer's warranty, you may be entitled to double the warranty period by up to 12 additional months. Underwritten by TD Home and Auto Insurance Company. Details of insurance benefits, including terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions are outlined in the Coverage Certificate provided with your TD Credit Card."
    08-01-12 04:44 PM
    OK hdmi port was bad to start. How about the usb? Was it damaged by you or someone else? Force the cable in upside down?
    08-01-12 04:59 PM
    I have the same problem with my charging port being loose and not taking a charge or connection to my PC. I called on Monday and talked to a Tech rep and then was passed to the RMA tech section. I explained the problem and they would send a FEDEX box for shipment. I then got an email from them with the details including a section at the bottom which identified the charges that could be charged for repairs, $99 for 16gb, $125 for 32gb and $149 for the 64gb. The person on the phone never indicated any charge to me as i said that I had bought the extended warranty at the time I bought my PB. At that time with it being a new product and a mobile tablet I felt it was wise to purchase the additional warranty. I got the box yeserday and immediately shipped it off. I tracked it and at 9:43am today it was in the hands of the repair shop. So far I have had nothing but pleasant treatment from RIM. I understand that today's world usually any product no matter how expensive often only has a one year warranty. After the warranty period you have to decide if it is more beneficial to repair or replace an item. Often I decide to spend the extra money and purchase a newer model such as a laptop than spend money having the repair done.

I also wish you success as you decide to buy a different brand of tablet. I am sure you can find people here that would be willing to buy your defective PB so that you recover some of the cost for a new tablet

I received this morning by FEDEX my PB back (actually they replaced it--has new serial number). So I think they have excellent customer service. I called on Monday and by same time on Friday I have my PB back. I do not think you could ask for any better service unless they came to your door to repair it.
    Last edited by rcab; 08-03-12 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Additional information
    pcguy514 likes this.
    08-01-12 06:03 PM
    When I had to do this with RIM for my playbook this is what I did. The sale rep said that I couldn't get the RMA exchange and that I had to do a RMA repair. So I was going on vacation in a few days and I knew it would take a long time to fix it rather that just do an exchange. But the lady said I was passed my 90 day policy for an exchange and had to do a repair. Needless to say it arrived back at my house just after we left for vacation so I ended up without my playbook for 2weeks!! But I was really happy to get home and open the box. So I open the box and look at the serial # and apparently they couldn't fix my problem so they had to give me another one anyways. So after looking at it I was impressed.. Until I went for powerbutton and realised it was it was all the way recessed to the point that I couldn't use it without a pen and I was going on a business trip in a few days. So I call RIM and get told that I can only to a repair. So I tell the lady "I know you have a supervisor who has a supervisor who has a supervisor who has a supervisor who has a supervisor and I'll go as far as I need to go to make this right, she said let me put you on hold. Comes back on the phone and says the supervisor has cleared me for an exchange. I got my new playbook just in time for my trip.
    08-01-12 06:28 PM
    I wonder if they've changed their "beyond warranty" policy just recently. Others have had luck with rim fixing stuff beyond the warranty period.

Interesting that the rates vary by unit size. What would justify pricing repairs for the usb port based on the gigabyte size of the unit - other than "rip off" because it is worth more or would cost more to replace.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-01-12 06:33 PM
    I wonder if they've changed their "beyond warranty" policy just recently. Others have had luck with rim fixing stuff beyond the warranty period.

Interesting that the rates vary by unit size. What would justify pricing repairs for the usb port based on the gigabyte size of the unit - other than "rip off" because it is worth more or would cost more to replace.
    I was wondering this myself. Shouldn't cost any more to repair the usb as they're all the same. Shame on you RIM.
    lovemyplaybook likes this.
    08-01-12 06:43 PM
    Thay have a flat rate fee

http://worldwide.blackberry.com/play...able-ca-en.pdf

Canada – English
    DESCRIPTION OF PER INSTANCE FEE(S) 16GB
    BlackBerry
    PlayBook
    32GB
    BlackBerry
    PlayBook
    64GB
    BlackBerry
    PlayBook
    USD* CAD* USD* CAD* USD* CAD*
    Repair fee where Your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet is
    returned to and repaired by RIM or RIM’s authorized
    service provider and is not covered by the BlackBerry
    PlayBook Limited Warranty.
    $99 $99 $125 $125 $149 $149
    Repair fee where You receive an Advanced Exchange
    BlackBerry PlayBook tablet from RIM or RIM’s
    authorized service provider and Your BlackBerry
    PlayBook tablet returned to RIM or RIM’s authorized
    service provider is not covered by the BlackBerry
    PlayBook Limited Warranty and repaired by RIM or
    RIM’s authorized service provider.
    $99 $99 $125 $125 $149 $149
    Replacement fee where You fail to return Your
    BlackBerry PlayBook tablet to RIM or RIM’s authorized
    service provider within ten (10) business days from the
    date You receive return packaging, including the
    Advanced Exchange BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, from
    RIM or RIM’s authorized service provider (“Replacement
    AE Fee”)
    $199 $199 $249 $249 $299 $299
    Replacement fee where You receive an Advanced
    Exchange BlackBerry PlayBook tablet from RIM or RIM’s
    authorized service provider and Your BlackBerry
    PlayBook tablet returned to RIM or RIM’s authorized
    service provider is not covered by the BlackBerry
    PlayBook Limited Warranty and determined by RIM or
    RIM’s authorized service provider to be Beyond Repair.
    $199 $199 $249 $249 $299 $299
    Last edited by kretch; 08-01-12 at 07:26 PM. Reason: add link
    08-01-12 07:02 PM
    Yes it should last more than 12 months, I sure hope mine does!

However, it sounds like it was defective from day one and should have gone right back to the store it was purchased from for exchange, I know mine would have gone back. I hate spending money on something that doesn't work right!

R...
    A tablet is not a car which has wearable parts, so your analogy is false. However, yes I have had the manufacturer of my car replace a part out of warranty when the dealer agreed that the part in question should have lasted a lot longer than it did (my car was 5 years old and below 50000 miles at the time, it's warranty ran out after 3 years).

A well built and premium product like a playbook should last at least 5 years in my opinion, RIM should be obliged to fix problems for at least 2 years - anything less is, frankly, negligent on their part.
    08-01-12 07:23 PM
100 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD