MY IT Policy is enabled. Thus, I cannot use bridge. Might as well stick with iPad.
    On your BlackBerry, go to Options, Security, and type buyr (cant' see anything until done). You'll see if your IT policy is enabled. If it is, you will get the dreaded Password is Incorrect message and be out of luck, as am I.
    04-20-11 11:59 AM
    You can't bridge to an iPad either. Is there something specific the iPad offers that the PlayBook doesn't have (or won't have soon) ?
    04-20-11 12:05 PM
    Is that something you can talk to your system admin about?
    04-20-11 12:05 PM
    You can't bridge to an iPad either. Is there something specific the iPad offers that the PlayBook doesn't have (or won't have soon) ?
    Currently an optional 3G radio, email & calendar. Coming soon doesn't quite cut it particularly for a hardware feature like the 3G radio.
    04-20-11 12:10 PM
    Is that something you can talk to your system admin about?
    I'm sure there is a way you can work through the BES issues and keep the PlayBook! Hang on a few days if you can and see if anything works out. You have 30 days to return it, no?
    04-20-11 12:10 PM
    I think you are quick to judge here, If the BES Admin has the IT policy to disable bridging, I don't think you can even run the bridge tool, you won't get that far.

Are you running a hybrid OS on your BB? I had the pw incorrect message and it turned out the PB didn't like the OS my phone was running. I loaded stock OS on it and it worked fine, instead of giving me the pw error, I prompted me to enter your BES blackberry pw and then it worked
    04-20-11 12:11 PM
    I have 14 days. My admin said "no." Expensive paperweight. I'm running an official 5.0 version.
    Last edited by rocky; 04-20-11 at 12:15 PM.
    04-20-11 12:12 PM
    That sucks. I guess you didn't run it by IT before you bought it. Maybe they'll come around in the future and allow it and then you can repurchase it.
    04-20-11 12:19 PM
    That sucks. I guess you didn't run it by IT before you bought it. Maybe they'll come around in the future and allow it and then you can repurchase it.
    No I sure didn't. They said it can only increase the security risk so forget about it. Same reason we don't open POP/IMAP access or allow iPhones.
    04-20-11 12:22 PM
    No, but since I can't push email to any tablet, I might as well go with the tablet that has a ton of other apps.
    04-20-11 12:23 PM
    No I sure didn't. They said it can only increase the security risk so forget about it. Same reason we don't open POP/IMAP access or allow iPhones.
    Your first sentence here tells me that your IT department doesn't understand risk very well and, more importantly, doesn't understand the controls built into the PlayBook.

H@ll, the whole point of the Playbook, or at least part of it, was that it is the first "professional grade" tablet that is enterprise ready. The PB becomes a mirror of your BB and thus does not present any more risk to the potential of corporate info that is on the handheld.

To that point, I am assuming it is a company handheld. If not, then the risk profile doesn't change AT ALL since your personal phone is not "on" the company network.
    04-20-11 12:29 PM
    No, but since I can't push email to any tablet, I might as well go with the tablet that has a ton of other apps.
    Fair enough.
    04-20-11 12:39 PM
    Your first sentence here tells me that your IT department doesn't understand risk very well and, more importantly, doesn't understand the controls built into the PlayBook.

H@ll, the whole point of the Playbook, or at least part of it, was that it is the first "professional grade" tablet that is enterprise ready. The PB becomes a mirror of your BB and thus does not present any more risk to the potential of corporate info that is on the handheld.

To that point, I am assuming it is a company handheld. If not, then the risk profile doesn't change AT ALL since your personal phone is not "on" the company network.
    I totally agree, seems like your IT people need to do some more research on how it works
    04-20-11 12:58 PM
    I have 14 days. Expensive paperweight. .
    Unfortunately I agree..
    Staples has a 14 day full return policy that I will take advantage of. Later, if the device improves I can always get another.
    04-20-11 01:30 PM
    Did you tell them that they should talk to the RIM rep about how the Playbook doesn't store any of the data from the bridge on the phone? Sounds like your IT group doesn't understand the Playbook or the Bridge.
    04-20-11 01:37 PM
    Did you tell them that they should talk to the RIM rep about how the Playbook doesn't store any of the data from the bridge on the phone? Sounds like your IT group doesn't understand the Playbook or the Bridge.
    Corporate IT depts often do not immediately support newly released products, particularly IT depts that enforce strict IT policies on their BBs. Some block access to BBM and BIS access to personal email accounts.
    04-20-11 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD