Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NickA
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    2,427 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Returned HP TouchPad

Hi Everyone,

I returned my HP TouchPad last night for obvious reasons. And if you didn't hear; HP is no longer making webOS devices. So I really didn't want to keep a dead product, and I was still in my 14 day return window.

So I'm looking for another option. I loved the multi-tasking on the TouchPad, and the PlayBook looks similar. I also think a smaller tablet might be for me. I've had the iPad 1 for a while, and I also have the Asus Transformer, but gave that to my son.

Here's what I want a tablet for:
    - Web browsing. I use my laptop for work and it's docked to a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. all the time. So I don't want to drag my laptop to the couch just to surf.

- Time Tracking. I'm a software developer and I need to track time on projects and tasks.

And that's really about it. I use GMail and Google Calendar so PIM functionality is not an issue for me. I do like Android though, so I'm looking forward to being able to run Android apps.

I've read in this forum how much "potential" the PB has. Everyone said the same about the TouchPad. I just want something other than an iPad/Android tablet that's in it for the long haul.

Thanks for your thoughts...
    squished18 likes this.
    Banned

PIN
    Wooden shoe like to know

Quote Originally Posted by NickA44 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I returned my HP TouchPad last night for obvious reasons. And if you didn't hear; HP is no longer making webOS devices. So I really didn't want to keep a dead product, and I was still in my 14 day return window.

So I'm looking for another option. I loved the multi-tasking on the TouchPad, and the PlayBook looks similar. I also think a smaller tablet might be for me. I've had the iPad 1 for a while, and I also have the Asus Transformer, but gave that to my son.

- Web browsing. I use my laptop for work and it's docked to a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. all the time. So I don't want to drag my laptop to the couch just to surf.

- Time Tracking. I'm a software developer and I need to track time on projects and tasks.

And that's really about it. I use GMail and Google Calendar so PIM functionality is not an issue for me. I do like Android though, so I'm looking forward to being able to run Android apps.

I've read in this forum how much "potential" the PB has. Everyone said the same about the TouchPad. I just want something other than an iPad/Android tablet that's in it for the long haul.

You've come to the right place my friend. Welcome. While you're here check out the new BB phones and you will have a winning combination.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 08-19-2011 at 09:46 AM.
    CrackBerry User

There's a couple of good time tracking apps. Check AppWorld on the web to see what you like.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    2,427 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack93117 View Post
    You've come to the right place my friend. Welcome. While you're here check out the new BB phones and you will have a winning combination.
    Thanks! I am going to check out the new BB phone. My last BB was the Curve. Best phone I ever had. I'm OS agnostic, but always seem to root for the underdog. That's why I picked up a TouchPad. I don't know if RIM is considered the underdog, but in today's world there is iOS, Android and everything else.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts

Welcome to the Crackmunity, NickA44. Sorry about the TP going under.

The web browser on the PB might be one of the strongest points, while not blazing in speed it does load the full web, and only once I ran into something I couldn't view, but it's since been fixed. Haven't used time tracking management software for the PB, but the apps are there for those kinds of tasks. Maybe just go to the store and check out a PB. If you like multitasking and want something outside of Apple/Android, there are not a lot of options. Of course, most Playbook owners are hoping its in it for the long haul, a lot us are banking on the fact RIM banked on QNX, since promised things like the native email and Android apps are slow to come, it adds an element of demand, so leaving Playbookers out in the dust would be a bad move, they'd loose a lot of their phone business too, I'm sure.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Hi Everyone,

You're going to be quite pleased when you pick up your PlayBook.

There is a fantastic time-tracking app as well called P.I.P.O (Punch in Punch out).

And you won't find a better web browser on a tablet.
    Remember to RTFM.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

sort of in the same boat...

I was planning on buying a Touchpad once the 64gb 1.5ghz ones came out, but now since that isn't likely to happen i'm back where i started. Webos was awesome and i figured with HP's support it was only a matter of time until all the apps i wanted would show up... boy was i wrong.

I like the playbook, but it is just too small for my needs. I just figure if i wanted something ultra portable, well that's why i carry a smartphone in my pocket everywhere i go.

at this point i'm hoping that rumored 10in Playbook does eventually get made and sooner rather than later. I assume no one has heard anything on that since the reports it was cancelled in favor of rushing QNX to phones?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,739 Global Posts

Hi Everyone,

If you liked the interface of the WebOS tablet then you would like the PB.
    Haven't seen the WebOS for real but from what I saw on the promo videos it worked quite the same way the PB does ( jump in all the PB copied WebOS ppl).
    The browsing on the PB is as near laptop browsing as it can get, and I have seen some time tracking apps on the PB app world. You can search for them.
    Through the Years :2001 Ericsson T29s> Sony Z5> Sony Z7> SE Z600>Moto A760> RAZR V3>Razr V3i>BB 8800>BB 9500 >BB 9800>Bold 9900..RIM Returns with a bang

Life was much simpler when Apple and Blackberry were just fruits
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,979 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask

Hi Everyone,

i just got my playbook, and to be honest, i am in love with it. i have played with all the different tabs, due to my job, and can tell you honestly, that the playbook beats them all hands down.
    --BlackScorpion AKA: King :: Twitter @BlkScorp33
    OSBB Co-Founder :: Retired CrackBerry Ambassador
    BB10 App Developer :: Usually rocking my BerryLeaks LE modded to work on VZW