Hello all Playbook fans!

I was a long time Playbook fan and user, I got in on the firesale of $199 back in 2011 I believe. Loved the device, was amazing quality as I just used it for Web browsing, the odd picture and video etc.

In any event my tablet use went down a lot when I bought my Q10 as the browser on BB10 was very quick. I had a drop as well which cracked the screen and rendered the device useless.

I just came across a Playbook I had given my brother as a gift and he said it was used like 5 times. Brand new, works like a charm and I played with it and missed it.

A few quick questions. It's currently under my brothers Blackberry ID so I assume I need to do a security wipe and then log in using my current on in order to access things?

Does the Playbook allow the ability to sideload apps like our BB10 devices? I am not really an app guy and can use the browser for almost everyone I would need but something like my airlines entertainment app (WestJet) could be handy when traveling. I managed to sideload this Android app on my Classic by searching for the APK and downloading it, can I do the same?

Since I have some old pictures and videos on my broken model can I use the same desktop manager that I have now for my Classic? I would like to transfer some things.

Sorry about all the newbie questions but it's been a few years. I still can't get over the quality of the screen, speakers and the feeling of this model. The speed isn't great and the browser wasn't good towards the end but Ohh well. Too bad we didn't get BB10 on it but that was a long time ago.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    06-04-16 09:30 PM
    Default browser is slow you could try the "origami browser" from the app world, it's way better...as far as sideloading goes, I don't think you can get much android apps to run on it anymore because it can't support newer versions unlike current BlackBerry 10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-16 10:01 PM
    You can only sideload android Gingerbread (2.3) or less on the Playbook so I am quite sure the Westjet app will not work. Unlike BB10 though, you have to convert the android .apk files to .bar format. If you search the Playbook forum here on CB you can easily learn how to sideload.
    06-04-16 11:29 PM
    Google Chrome has a playbook extension so you can sideload. Development mode is your friend in this case. I haven't used it in a long time as I just use what I have on mine. I haven't added anything in years. Too many other toys to play with
    06-05-16 12:02 AM
    Thanks to everyone for the assistance with the apps and stuff.

Last quick question though relates to the Blackberry ID's. I can just do a security wipe an then log in using mine in order to synch accounts, use Blackberry bridge etc??

When I had initially gotten my Playbook I didn't yet have a Blackberry smartphone, so no BlackBerry id.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    06-05-16 04:44 AM
    All you need to do is switch accounts and the wipe will be done automstically.
    06-05-16 07:44 PM