I backed up the other day and performed a security wipe and restore last night (just to freshen things!) and I was just wondering if it is normal for the PB to shut off when the restore is complete?
    02-29-12 10:52 AM
    As long as it turns back on! Probably, it now would need to "process" whatever is in that 'restoration file/image' so turning off would seem natural.
    02-29-12 11:46 AM
    Oh yeah, it came back on. It was the first time I performed it and just wanted to ensure that this is the way it works. As soon as DM reported the device needs to be disocnnected to continue, I disconnected and noticed the PB was completely off. I turned it on and booted up and everything appears to have restored. Just wanted to see if anyone else that has done this before has this working this way.
    02-29-12 11:49 AM
    I'm sure someone here has restored from backup? Can anyone confirm that upon completion of the restore the software shuts the PB down?
    02-29-12 01:56 PM
    Since apparently I am the first ever person to actually use the restore function <sarcasm> and nobody can actually tell me if this is how it works, I went through the painstaking wait of doing it again out of curiosity.

If anyone is interested, yes, when the restore is finished, DM envokes the PB into a reboot. If you leave it plugged in to the USB for a minute or two after the restore process is complete, the PB is rebooted and when back in you will find it restored. Also, any sideloaded apps will NOT be restored, as they are apparently the only items that are not backed up in the "full" backup process.
    02-29-12 11:35 PM
    Yes it is normal it restarts. It also asks you to disconnect first so that it won't do a debrick on startup
    03-01-12 12:41 AM
    Since apparently I am the first ever person to actually use the restore function <sarcasm> and nobody can actually tell me if this is how it works, I went through the painstaking wait of doing it again out of curiosity.

If anyone is interested, yes, when the restore is finished, DM envokes the PB into a reboot. If you leave it plugged in to the USB for a minute or two after the restore process is complete, the PB is rebooted and when back in you will find it restored. Also, any sideloaded apps will NOT be restored, as they are apparently the only items that are not backed up in the "full" backup process.
    Did all your bb apps and folder structure come back? Thanks.
    03-02-12 05:46 AM
    Did all your bb apps and folder structure come back? Thanks.
    Yes, all apps and folder structures EXCEPT:

1. Mail and facebook settings had to be entered again
    2. Any sideloaded apps are no longer present

Even items I copied to the device from my PC (romfiles for emulators, etc) are recovered. Only the email settings and anything that was ever sideloaded are not backed up and restored. So, plan on re-sideloading your "additional" apps if you backup and recover.
    03-09-12 10:30 AM
    I just restored a new PB from an old PB's backup and was pretty annoyed that the folder and app locations were not saved. That's half the reason I do a backup!

As it seems, it also didn't back up my accounts. Is this possible, or did something go wrong? I'm not really sure what it did backup and restore....
    Last edited by anastasiophan; 03-09-12 at 10:56 AM.
    03-09-12 10:35 AM
    I just restored a new PB from an old PB's backup and was pretty annoyed that the folder and app locations were not saved. That's half the reason I do a backup!

As it seems, it also didn't back up my accounts. Is this possible, or did something go wrong? I'm not really sure what it did backup and restore....
    As stated above, your accounts do NOT get restored. You must add them again after restore. As for the folder/app locations, they are absolutely saved, unless:

1. They were sideloaded apps
    2. You made the backup BEFORE setting up your app locations and folders.
    3. You made the backup BEFORE installing these applications from the appworld.
    03-09-12 05:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD