Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Restart = Bricked Tablet - Seriously ? :O

So been running my 64GB PB since yesterday and going great until I restart tonight...

So I read all the posts on BB stuck on "Blackberry Playbook" - Finally power it down, plug in cable to DM on computer, plug in PB and get this update screen. Well we'll see what happens when I'm downloading a huge file from:

com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.os.debrick - I like the debrick on the end...That scares the heck out of me

Stay tuned...any one download the "debrick file" ?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yep, same thing happened to me, just hung on the loading screen stuff after working fine for a while, updated my desktop manager to the latest Bell version, looked like a .1 upgrade, plugged in the playbook and it eventually prompted me to download from the same link.

Bottom line it worked, I'm now running OS 1.01.1705, think that's later than the one I had before. All working fine so far so good luck!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Hey..so I updated and got through the agreement and blackberry ID Login. That's a start but now battery is critical low at 0% which is weird because I was at 50% when this mess started 3 hours ago....Anyone know how long with charger that came with to go from 0% to 20%, been on 0% for 15 minutes ?

Thanks for the help..

it might take 2 hours from some other threads
    ~Matt
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry User

Funny, I was just about to post a topic about this!

I picked up a 32GB PlayBook yesterday (right @ 7AM), set it up when I got home and I was using it all day yesterday with no problems. Today I took it to the office with me, showed it off to everyone and used it through out the day, THEN towards the end of the business day I turned off my PlayBook (complete power off - not standby). When I got home from the office and went to turn it back on, the device force/locked-up on the startup screen and wouldn't make it past it (even after multiple power resets). I ended up having to plug it into Desktop Manager and update it from there.

Then, when I was setting up my mother's PlayBook (16GB - which arrived earlier today), it locked up during the restart after updating the OS OTA. I had to go through the same procedure (connect to Desktop Manager and update it) before I was able to use hers.

What's going on...?

(Sidenote: during the setup of my mother's PlayBook, and before it locked up, it said the newest OS available was 1.0.1.1690 - yet my personal PlayBook updated to 1.0.1.1705 via Desktop Manager. Her's is now running 1.0.1.1705 as well, but that's because I had to debrick it as well through Desktop Manager)
    Last edited by brgnewman; 04-20-2011 at 09:54 PM.
    Rogers - BlackBerry 9800
    |$50 BB Student Plan - 200min, U/L E&W @ 6pm, MY5 U/L Canada, 500MB Data, U/L Messaging | $12 Value Pack - Voicemail, Call Display |
    CrackBerry User

Just wondering how you updated to 1.101.1705. When i click software update it says i am running the latest software. I am running 1.101.1690. I have tried the DM aswell and same thing. thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BBOttawa View Post
    Yep, same thing happened to me, just hung on the loading screen stuff after working fine for a while, updated my desktop manager to the latest Bell version, looked like a .1 upgrade, plugged in the playbook and it eventually prompted me to download from the same link.

Bottom line it worked, I'm now running OS 1.01.1705, think that's later than the one I had before. All working fine so far so good luck!
    CrackBerry Abuser

I just installed the updated desktop manager, which was a newer version than I had, and it chose to update my PB even though it was sitting there at the login logo like a brick for ages.

Maybe delete your PB from your DM, restart both, and then plug it in and look for updates? I refused to update my phone OS (.448 OS6 running "illegally" on Bell 9700), cause it would have been way too much work.

I think it's the interaction between the PB and DM that is the issue, my bridge started working with my OS6 9700 after that.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Well it appears most of the world is at 0.1690 on their OS, however for us poor people that run into this issue of being stuck at "Blackberry Playbook" - The only solution is this file as I mentioned and you end up getting version .1705. I would not want to be at 0.1705 because it means you are haunted by "boot up RIM/QNX ghost of bricking" So do not wish for this..

Mine was bought form Staples and is a 64GB, I read that Staples had a bunch of 64GB that had to be sent back. Was anybody on here with this issue bought from Staples?

Still waiting for mine to charge, my bed may come quicker then this thing getting charged..
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

We are rolling now at 0.1705 - like I said all it means is we bricked our phone by doing nothing but restarting it Anyways, it took 1:20 minutes to recharge from 0% to 20% and resume updates after I hooked to DM and updated (debricked it).

Reintstalling everything now and hope for the best, everyone thanks for their help and hopefully people will find this helpful. Once you restart and brick the tablet, you'll get concerned

See ya..
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thanks everyone for this post ... I'm now going through the same nonsense. What the heck is "Debrick" or "Bricked" ... means that's what's good for?
    CrackBerry User

Default 64GB PlayBook from Staples - mine also bricked itself and won't wake up

Quote Originally Posted by Curado Kev View Post
    Well it appears most of the world is at 0.1690 on their OS, however for us poor people that run into this issue of being stuck at "Blackberry Playbook" - The only solution is this file as I mentioned and you end up getting version .1705. I would not want to be at 0.1705 because it means you are haunted by "boot up RIM/QNX ghost of bricking" So do not wish for this..

Mine was bought form Staples and is a 64GB, I read that Staples had a bunch of 64GB that had to be sent back. Was anybody on here with this issue bought from Staples?

Still waiting for mine to charge, my bed may come quicker then this thing getting charged..

YES!! I bought a 64GB Playbook from Staples and mine is bricked now!! I've tried everything, the USB charger, the Rapid charger for hours, plugged in, not plugged in, to no avail. What can I do??
    O.G.

Global Posts
    12,349 Global Posts

Don't you love being early adopters?

I'd just return the device and get a new one if you can't debrick it yourselves.
    CrackBerry User

that's exactly what I'm doing tonight...there's an OS update out there, let's hope the combination of those two things brings it back to life...geez

Yes, we get to pay RIM for the pleasure of early adoption..!! But then again, until this thing, it was a great device and wouldn't want to do without it. Let's cross my fingers......
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask

I haven't restarted mine since I got it, and it's working perfectly. Initial set up and everything else has worked flawlessly. After reading this, I'm slightly nervous about turning it off...

For those that have had their PB bricked by restarting and then debricked/updated to .1705... does that fix the issue? Can you now shut down and restart normally?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greggov View Post
    For those that have had their PB bricked by restarting and then debricked/updated to .1705... does that fix the issue? Can you now shut down and restart normally?
    It was a PITA having to do this on a brand new device, but it works. I've done numerous shut downs without issue.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by BoldMeister View Post
    YES!! I bought a 64GB Playbook from Staples and mine is bricked now!! I've tried everything, the USB charger, the Rapid charger for hours, plugged in, not plugged in, to no avail. What can I do??
    What I did with mine is turn it off (hold the power button with both volume buttons for 10-15 secs)...leave it be for over 10 min - 30 min. It will turn on fine after. Worked for me. Good luck. (but I'm going to return mine until Rim irons things out)
    Thanked by:
    AflownwiZ (04-22-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

I had a fun first 6 hours the evening I got my PB. Really fun and encouraging. I charged the unit to full after draining it 1%, and turned it fully off to show off at work today. On the 6:53 am train, no dice. Brick.

With power adapter plugged in this evening I get the BB PB logo and colored orbs, but no boot up.

I try DM on my iMac and my Win7 laptop, neither recognize the PB.

I call 1 800 STAPLES just before 11pm ET and their closing for the night. Cheery agent Dana takes my call, tells me they will swap my dead unit with a new one in 5 days, and that this is the first call for a PB problem she has ever had. Man was she prepared and accepting for her first ever PB=dead call.

Now I need to live without the PB for 18 days as I travel whilst my unit is swapped in 5 days. Perhaps we will be on build 2020 or 2500 by then?
    BlackBerry 9900, iPad 32GB, BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB/wi-fi and 16GB/wi-fi
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    30FBA8AB

Default Red Light Flashing

I purchased my 32G Playbook at BB yesterday. It worked beautifully all day yesterday and today. At about 5:30 p.m I shut it down to eat dinner. After dinner cleaned up the dinner mess and picked up Playbook to fiddle with while I watch TV. I push the power button and all I get is a red flashing light. It flashes twice then pauses and then flashes twice again. It refuses to turn on. I have tried charging it with the charger that came with it and also the rapid charger. I said okay I give up and updated the desktop manager and attached the playbook and it started to download and update. It failed and instructed me to retry. I am currently in the process of updating again. What does the red light mean? Battery low?
    Lovin My New Playbook 32G!
    Dreamin of my Shiney New BB Touch!
    :
    CrackBerry User

mine bricked too ,, hope its fixed with the update
    CrackBerry Newbie

hey storminatrix, did you ever fix your playbook? i"m having the same problem right now.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

this worked for me

Quote Originally Posted by gunsta66 View Post
    What I did with mine is turn it off (hold the power button with both volume buttons for 10-15 secs)...leave it be for over 10 min - 30 min. It will turn on fine after. Worked for me. Good luck. (but I'm going to return mine until Rim irons things out)
    you're an agent.
    CrackBerry Newbie

help, my playbook is stuck in boot (Colourful bubbles), desktop manager and os update have not resolved the issue