How can you take out the Blackberry Playbook OS and replace it with Android OS? Have any of you guys done this? I need Google Hangouts on the Playbook. At the current rate RIM is going that might happen 2 years from now. I don't care about netflix, hulu, iheartradio or skype. But Google Hangouts is a must for me.
    Last edited by maddogkiller; 07-05-12 at 08:17 AM.
    07-05-12 08:14 AM
    Just buy an android tab. easy peasy.
    07-05-12 08:17 AM
    Nope. Cannot be done.

Tim
    07-05-12 08:23 AM
    How can you take out the Blackberry Playbook OS and replace it with Android OS? Have any of you guys done this? I need Google Hangouts on the Playbook. At the current rate RIM is going that might happen 2 years from now. I don't care about netflix, hulu, iheartradio or skype. But Google Hangouts is a must for me.
    I think the previous poster has it right, you should get yourself an Android tablet. I can only speak for myself but I have no interest whatsoever in either Android OS or Google Hangouts, whatever that is.
    07-05-12 08:25 AM
    It is impossible to "take out" the Playbook's OS, nevermind replace it with Android.

As previous posters have said, just get yourself an Android tablet and you'll have what you so deperately need.

Si.
    07-05-12 08:37 AM
    I'd like to take my car and fly it to the moon...
    07-05-12 08:40 AM
    I can sell you one that already can do that the android os seems far fetched though.
    codiak likes this.
    07-05-12 08:43 AM
    Then I guess it's ebay or the trash can.
    07-05-12 09:19 AM
    Threads like this blow my mind. If I go to a car forum are there people trying to put the engine from a toyota in a chevy?

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    CairnsRock likes this.
    07-05-12 09:24 AM
    Threads like this blow my mind. If I go to a car forum are there people trying to put the engine from a toyota in a chevy?
    Not the best analogy, as I know someone who had a Dodge Neon with a Mitsubishi engine in ;-)

Plus there used to be a Saturn that was factory built with a Honda engine several years ago :-D

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    07-05-12 09:33 AM
    Maybe this guy bought a Playbook with a similar thought to some of those who bought a Touchpad.... that an Adroid rom would be coming?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-05-12 09:40 AM
    I think impossible is the wrong word. It is perfectly possible to load a different O/S on the Playbook hardware if RIM allow it.

Assuming the Playbook is abandoned they may be persuaded to do this for the benefit of consumers but not while they believe Playbook has a future.
    07-05-12 09:41 AM
    Not the best analogy, as I know someone who had a Dodge Neon with a Mitsubishi engine in ;-)

Plus there used to be a Saturn that was factory built with a Honda engine several years ago :-D

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    Well now you know why I'm on the crackberry forum and not the car forum.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk 2
    07-05-12 10:12 AM
    Corvette engine in a hatchback Civic comes to mind.
    Look it up, it was quite the project.
    07-05-12 10:15 AM
    My buddy and I put a old Dodge Hemi in a Ford pickup once, for real, but mostly for kicks. However, I do know people that want to run Win7 on a Mac for instance and many similar situations that buying a new machine is often not the best or only answer.
    bnortey likes this.
    07-05-12 10:19 AM
    I guess we should thank the people who bought it not knowing they can't do a touchpad with it. Wonder how much worse sales would've been without them.
    codiak likes this.
    07-05-12 10:38 AM
    To be a bit more technical... Playbook uses an encrypted bootloader which from all I have read cannot be bypassed ala Android or HP Touchpad.... just cannot understand why people do not seem to do their reserarch on their devices.
    07-05-12 10:43 AM

It's because of trolling like this that I no longer post on the these forums. I'd be willing to bet he doesn't even own a playbook.
    repguy2020 likes this.
    07-05-12 10:55 AM
    Definitely trash can. It would be silly to get money out of it to put toward an Android tablet.

07-05-12 03:02 PM
    I have a trash can. I'll even pad it.
    07-05-12 03:08 PM
    I'd go ebay. Sell it to someone who knows how to use it.
    07-05-12 04:54 PM
    Theres an app for that.......
    07-05-12 06:25 PM
    Pinto with a bigblock was a wild build.
    Corvette engine in a hatchback Civic comes to mind.
    Look it up, it was quite the project.

life is better with root.
    07-05-12 08:50 PM
    Yeah, this is going nowhere.
    repguy2020 likes this.
    07-05-12 09:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD