Dear friends

I recently purchased a PB 64 gb version with 2.0.1
    I have configured all aspects of it and transferred my media files to it including pictures and music files.All the files i use has been edited by MP3tag software for windows and album art is added to it in embedded form.But the problem is that when i open the gallery of playbook it shows all the album cover art and it is very difficult to find the right picture from my gallery because it shows hundreds of album cover art.So is there any way i can remove the album cover art from showing up in gallery
    If i use the android method of creating "nomedia" file will it be any help?

Please replay me ASAP
    11-16-12 08:54 PM
    How did you copy or move your mp3 files to the pb? That info might help someone answer the question.
    11-16-12 10:48 PM
    I attached the PB using USB cable and mounted the volume as mass memory or simply as flash drive then i copy and pasted to music folder.
    11-17-12 02:52 AM
    I cannot tell you how to remove cover art from the Playbook, but i can suggest you two things

1.) When you tap on Albums, and you see all the pictures etc. look on the top right there is a "Search All" button maybe that will help you a bit.

2.) Use Media Monkey. I used this tool to manage/rename/sort my music for use with XBMC . I believe you can use this to remove the album art from all of your music. As a precaution you should make a backup of your music before editing it in Media Monkey incase you do something you didn't intend.

I do not understand how removing Album Art will help you find music faster...it will only change the Album Art into Generic Icons which will all look the same.
    11-17-12 09:01 AM
    I thought that if you had used the Desktop software for syncing it might have created that separate album art. But I'm not sure if that would happen if you merely dragged/dropped them. But apparently it does somehow extract the album art separately.
    11-17-12 11:15 AM
    I thought that if you had used the Desktop software for syncing it might have created that separate album art. But I'm not sure if that would happen if you merely dragged/dropped them. But apparently it does somehow extract the album art separately.
    So you are telling me that i should use desktop software manager to transfer music and media files to my PB to remove the album art from appearing in the gallery
    11-18-12 04:09 AM
    So you are telling me that i should use desktop software manager to transfer music and media files to my PB to remove the album art from appearing in the gallery
    NO! I was think that the desktop software might be the cause of the problem. I HOPED drag/drop using Explorer would avoid it. The darn pb searches for media over the entire device and lists what it finds in the various apps regardless of where they were found. For instance, I accidentally copied over digital camera VIDEOS when I was copying jpgs. Even though they are in a subfolder under Photos, the show up in the Video app. Similarly, those album art jpg's in the music folder show up in the Pic app. I am not sure that you can avoid it with the current scheme of the OS.

Actually, thinking on it - maybe do try the desktop software sync or copy a new album and see if the album art shows up for it???? Experiment, in other words.
    11-18-12 09:45 AM
    As an aside, the means of copying the files to the PlayBook or app used to embed cover art most likely have no bearing on the issue.

Being that you used the term "gallery" instead of "pictures" suggests that you are using the Android viewer. Android has a media database that scans for media files. It usually filters out folder.jpg and folders with blank text file named ".nomedia" but does not allow for selecting one from another. I have many albums in my music folder, however, my cover art is not embedded in the audio files but in the individual folders, and I do not see any cover art when using the PB Pictures viewer, but see them when using the Android Gallery viewer if they are not folder.jpg. You can, apparently, add a sub folder - name not particular-- add a .nomedia file there, and place the offending images in that folder. The .nomedia only works for the Android environ the last time I checked. Adding it to an existing folder may require a rescan of the Android media store db.

If you are seeing these files in PB, and all your music files are in the "Music" folder, then (I hate to say this) a wipe may be imminent.

Hope this helps.
    11-18-12 11:18 AM
    As an aside, the means of copying the files to the PlayBook or app used to embed cover art most likely have no bearing on the issue.

Being that you used the term "gallery" instead of "pictures" suggests that you are using the Android viewer. Android has a media database that scans for media files. It usually filters out folder.jpg and folders with blank text file named ".nomedia" but does not allow for selecting one from another. I have many albums in my music folder, however, my cover art is not embedded in the audio files but in the individual folders, and I do not see any cover art when using the PB Pictures viewer, but see them when using the Android Gallery viewer if they are not folder.jpg. You can, apparently, add a sub folder - name not particular-- add a .nomedia file there, and place the offending images in that folder. The .nomedia only works for the Android environ the last time I checked. Adding it to an existing folder may require a rescan of the Android media store db.

If you are seeing these files in PB, and all your music files are in the "Music" folder, then (I hate to say this) a wipe may be imminent.

Hope this helps.
    First of all i am not using sideloaded gallery app i am using the gallery app from blackberry app world
    and another thing is that i can see all the pictures including album cover art in the playbook filemanager also.I have used Mp3tag software to embed the cover art in the track and i am not including them inside any folder.
    11-19-12 06:25 AM
    First of all i am not using sideloaded gallery app i am using the gallery app from blackberry app world
    and another thing is that i can see all the pictures including album cover art in the playbook filemanager also.I have used Mp3tag software to embed the cover art in the track and i am not including them inside any folder.
    The Gallery app by Lagrange in AppWorld is an Android app. Android makes copies of embedded cover art for its media store. Follow my suggestions with .nomedia in the root of the Music folder, assuming you do not use any Android media player. The change may not be immediate because Android sometimes requires a media rescan for previously scanned folders. Reboot may initiate a rescan, no sure, but if you cannot find an app to do it, delete the files in the following directory
    Misc/android/Android/data/com.android.providers.media/albumthumbs

To be safe with an option to undo, change the name of the last dir to orig_albumthumbs and create a new albumthumbs.

Your usage of Mp3tag is superfluous to your issue. I have been using it for at least the last 8years. Florian made, in my humble opinion, the best tagging software.
    11-19-12 08:51 AM
    I _THINK_ that the album art on my pb does NOT show in the Native Pictures App. I emphasize "think" because I just quickly scrolled through my 3,600+ images and did not see any album art images. But in my hasty scrolling I might have missed Sibelius!

For some reason the Sibelius image stands out as one I see when I've used some Android photo-editing apps. So I just looked at my pb using wifi-sharing to check.... I seem to have a ton of Sibelius album art copies in each folder where I have his music - okay about 6 or so in each. That many would have shown up in my above scan, so I believe that Android "finds" them but not the native apps. I don't know about other apps written for native os.
    11-19-12 09:33 AM
    The Gallery app in app world doesn't seem to be an app at all (it's only 17 KB in size- are any apps that small?). What it is, apparently, is simply a launcher to run the android Gallery app that is part of the PB's android runtime. I only note this because I don't think that Gallery has anything to do with the OP's problem, since we all have android Gallery on our PBs whether we know it or not. That being said, I have album art that is contained within subfolders in my Music directory, and these JPEGs do not show up in my Pictures app or in the stock File Manager app. I also tried using the MP3Tag software to embed album art in a few titles on my PB, and this album artwork also did not show up in Pictures or File Manager. What I suspect is happening to the OP, is that some android media player is creating thumbnails of his album artwork for use in that app, and it is these thumbnails that are showing up in Pictures and File Manager. So, OP, do you have any media players installed on your PB other than the stock Music and Videos players, and if so what are they?
    11-19-12 10:07 AM
    The Gallery app in app world doesn't seem to be an app at all (it's only 17 KB in size- are any apps that small?). What it is, apparently, is simply a launcher to run the android Gallery app that is part of the PB's android runtime. I only note this because I don't think that Gallery has anything to do with the OP's problem, since we all have android Gallery on our PBs whether we know it or not. That being said, I have album art that is contained within subfolders in my Music directory, and these JPEGs do not show up in my Pictures app or in the stock File Manager app. I also tried using the MP3Tag software to embed album art in a few titles on my PB, and this album artwork also did not show up in Pictures or File Manager. What I suspect is happening to the OP, is that some android media player is creating thumbnails of his album artwork for use in that app, and it is these thumbnails that are showing up in Pictures and File Manager. So, OP, do you have any media players installed on your PB other than the stock Music and Videos players, and if so what are they?
    You are correct, it is only the icon to the the cooliris image viewer already in the Android environment. The android viewer uses the android media store for initial information so that you see the thumbnails almost immediately. The media store scans the sdcard, which is the misc/android/ folder, at first run and is updated on changes to the filesystem. It catalogs all media, ie, audio, audio-visuals, images and creates thumbnail images which are stored as long alphanumerics and without a file type. This is done so that users don't accidentally mess this up.

To prevent the Android media store and all that relies on it, to not catalog a particular folder for all media, the user can add a blank text file named ".nomedia" in its root. So in the case of the OP, if you do not want your music to be cataloged because you do not want thumbnails of the cover art from each to be extracted, then place the .nomedia file in the root of your Music folder. The drawback is if you use an Android media player that relies on the media store, it will not find any music files.

The OP has more than enough info to solve the problem. Try it; it is non-destructive and report back. My elaboration was for other CB'ers who finds this thread with similar issues. Again, Mp3tag is red herring. The OP was emphatic about using the "gallery" app and was snarky to reiterate. The easiest fix is to use the PB's Pictures image viewer app which does not have this problem since it completely ignores the misc/android folder.
    Last edited by jackpots; 11-19-12 at 12:12 PM.
    11-19-12 12:02 PM