Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By auto208562
  • 1 Post By emtunc
  • 1 Post By apengue1
  • 1 Post By Old Ag
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Remote desktop for Playbook with Windows Vista

Has anyone tried Remote desktop for Playbook (by Todd Greyson) with Windows Vista??

I already have Splashtop HD and it works quite well. However, I decided to try out 'Remote desktop for Playbook' as well since it does not require installation of a client on the target machine.

However, I cannot seem to get it to work inspite of all of the parameters being filled out correctly (I believe). Has anyone tried it Windows Vista or I have ended up wasting $7??
    Future:

- Blackberry 10???

Current:

- Blackberry Playbook OS 2.0 32 GB
    - Blackberry mini bluetooth keyboard + trackpad
    - Apple iPhone 4

Past:

- Samsung SPH-A920 [Retired]
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

The imt vnc works great and its free.
    BlackberryOS2PB likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    636 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackberryOS2PB View Post
    Has anyone tried Remote desktop for Playbook (by Todd Greyson) with Windows Vista??

I already have Splashtop HD and it works quite well. However, I decided to try out 'Remote desktop for Playbook' as well since it does not require installation of a client on the target machine.

However, I cannot seem to get it to work inspite of all of the parameters being filled out correctly (I believe). Has anyone tried it Windows Vista or I have ended up wasting $7??
    What errors are you getting?
    Can you provide a screenshot of the settings for the Vista machine on the app? (the little sidebar that appears on the right where you put the machine name etc)?

You can take a screenshot on the PB by pressing the volume up and down at the same time.
    >> My Blog <<
    • HOW TO: Access Network Shares on PlayBook
    • HOW TO: Setting up VLC Remote on your BlackBerry 10
    • HOW TO: Downloading Torrents on the PlayBook
    • HOW TO: Two-Factor Authentication with BlackBerry 10
    Banned

The app does not work with all versions of Windows. It only works with versions that have the remote desktop functionality built in. Says so in the app description.. Also provides a full list of windows versions that have the feature built in, and the ones that don't (professional, home etc.)

I was also planning on getting this app but had a version of Windows that wasn't supported, so I sent them an email asking if there was any way I could get it working easily and I got this response:
    Angelo,

Unfortunately I don't believe there is any 3rd party software that will allow Remote Desktop Services on Windows Vista home Premium as technically the service is already there, just not enabled on the Home versions. There are some workarounds on the net that are NOT supported by Microsoft, so if you are comfortable with that then try searching for Concurrent RDP Patcher for Vista Home Premium.

Todd
    For me it's splashtop I guess..might as well pay $2 less and have splashtop client installed than a 3rd party non-Microsoft supported client. It would defeat the purpose of that particular app.
    Thanked by:
    BlackberryOS2PB (03-18-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by jgomez5710 View Post
    Thanks. I will check it out. I think that requires installing tightVNC on the target machine. Right??

Quote Originally Posted by emtunc View Post
    What errors are you getting?
    Can you provide a screenshot of the settings for the Vista machine on the app? (the little sidebar that appears on the right where you put the machine name etc)?

You can take a screenshot on the PB by pressing the volume up and down at the same time.
    Thanks. I will take a snapshot soon. The error message is exactly "cannot connect to server". I will take a snapshot of it.

The parameters I am putting are:

Name: Faisal-PC
    Server: 192.168.1.67
    Domain: Faisal-PC
    User: Faisal
    Password: *****
    Console: <Checked on>
    Port: 3389

I am putting the name of the computer in the 'Domain' field. Do you see anything wrong with it??

Quote Originally Posted by apengue1 View Post
    The app does not work with all versions of Windows. It only works with versions that have the remote desktop functionality built in. Says so in the app description.. Also provides a full list of windows versions that have the feature built in, and the ones that don't (professional, home etc.)

I was also planning on getting this app but had a version of Windows that wasn't supported, so I sent them an email asking if there was any way I could get it working easily and I got this response:

For me it's splashtop I guess..might as well pay $2 less and have splashtop client installed than a 3rd party non-Microsoft supported client. It would defeat the purpose of that particular app.

Thanks. So if that is the case then I pretty much wasted my $7 since my laptop has Windows Vista and the OS is 'Windows Vista Home Premium edition' and according to the email they sent you, it does not work with Vista. You are also right that if I have to install a third party app on my laptop then it defeats the purpose as I have Splashtop HD already and the sole reason for me to get Remote desktop for Blackberry Playbook was so that I can try out an app that does not require installation of a third party app. Also, I wanted to compare the response and speed of each.

Anyway, once again thanks so much for the clarification.
    Last edited by BlackberryOS2PB; 03-18-2012 at 01:05 PM.
    Future:

- Blackberry 10???

Current:

- Apple iPhone 4

Past:

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    636 Global Posts

Thanks. I will check it out. I think that requires installing tightVNC on the target machine. Right??

Thanks. I will take a snapshot soon. The error message is exactly "cannot connect to server". I will take a snapshot of it.

The parameters I am putting are:

Name: Faisal-PC
    Server: 192.168.1.67
    Domain: Faisal-PC
    User: Faisal
    Password: *****
    Console: <Checked on>
    Port: 3389

I am putting the name of the computer in the 'Domain' field. Do you see anything wrong with it??
    If this is a non-networked machine then the domain should be blank. Also, uncheck 'Console' unless you have a specific reason for leaving it on.

If the above doesn't work, try the following:

- Go to run
    - Type sysdm.cpl
    - Click Remote tab
    - Make sure Check box for 'Allow remote assistance' is enabled
    - Make sure 'Allow connections only from computers running Remote desktop' is checked
    - Click 'select users'
    - If your username (Faisal) is not in that list, add it.
    - Apply all of those settings and try again.

btw, if the version of Vista you have doesn't allow RDC, google for work arounds and how you can enable it.
    >> My Blog <<
    • HOW TO: Access Network Shares on PlayBook
    • HOW TO: Setting up VLC Remote on your BlackBerry 10
    • HOW TO: Downloading Torrents on the PlayBook
    • HOW TO: Two-Factor Authentication with BlackBerry 10
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    580 Global Posts

Does Todd Grayson's remote desktop actually function any better than Splashtop so that it would be worth it to go through all this (I also have Vista home premium)? I have no issue installing something on a target machine, but I still find Splashtop a bit too laggy for serious use.
    Banned

^^ same here. I'd like to know how they function in comparison. The reviews don't really cut it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

"Cannot connect to server" is pretty generic. I mean, the issue could lie from not setting the port correctly on the router (assuming you have to like some VNC applications), to a firewall type software like mcfee intrusion protection blocking it, etc.

I am not that familiar with the remote desktop software, but assuming it is the software, is there a checkbox to disable encryption? I'm not talking about the password, but the session. If so, try unchecking that and see if it works without encryption.

And regarding imt vnc, yes, you will need some vnc server on the machine.
    CrackBerry Abuser

So if that is the case then I pretty much wasted my $7 since my laptop has Windows Vista and the OS is 'Windows Vista Home Premium edition' and according to the email they sent you, it does not work with Vista.
    No, according to the email from the vendor, it works fine with Vista -- as long as you are running a version of Vista that has support for RDP, which the Home flavors do not. This is not by fault of the product; this is by Microsoft's design, and no RDP client can connect to something which has no support for RDP.

You should be able to get a refund from App World; although I never have, others have posted here that they will refund you for a purchase that you cannot use.

Funny story, though: Since I also purchased Todd Grayson's Remote Desktop app and I have a laptop running Vista Ultimate, I decided to use the app to connect to the laptop just for giggles -- and to verify that it does work fine when connecting to a version of Vista which actually can be connected to over RDP.

It failed.

Yep, that's right. Your statement that "it does not work with Vista," which should be incorrect, turns out to be -- if my experience is any indication -- completely correct after all. You just didn't know it.

Just to be clear: I have no trouble RDP-ing to other PCs from my PlayBook using Grayson's app (so there's nothing wrong with my installation of the app), and I have no trouble RDP-ing to the Vista laptop from other PCs (so there's nothing wrong with the configuration of my laptop). And of course I am using the same logon credentials in both clients. If I decide that I care enough, I'll pursue the issue with the vendor.
    CrackBerry Abuser

"Cannot connect to server" is pretty generic. I mean, the issue could lie from not setting the port correctly on the router (assuming you have to like some VNC applications), to a firewall type software like mcfee intrusion protection blocking it, etc.

I am not that familiar with the remote desktop software, but assuming it is the software, is there a checkbox to disable encryption? I'm not talking about the password, but the session. If so, try unchecking that and see if it works without encryption.

The error message cited indeed pretty generic, but it's the only error you get from the app. (Actually, the OP got the tense wrong; the error is "Could not connect to server."

So yes, if it weren't for the fact that the OP was trying to connect to an OS that can't be connected to over RDP in the first place, all of the points you made would be things you'd need to look at, since the vague error message gave no further clues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remote desktop for Playbook with Windows Vista-img_00000007.jpg  
    Last edited by cletis; 03-18-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Quote Originally Posted by emtunc View Post
    If this is a non-networked machine then the domain should be blank. Also, uncheck 'Console' unless you have a specific reason for leaving it on.

If the above doesn't work, try the following:

- Go to run
    - Type sysdm.cpl
    - Click Remote tab
    - Make sure Check box for 'Allow remote assistance' is enabled
    - Make sure 'Allow connections only from computers running Remote desktop' is checked
    - Click 'select users'
    - If your username (Faisal) is not in that list, add it.
    - Apply all of those settings and try again.

btw, if the version of Vista you have doesn't allow RDC, google for work arounds and how you can enable it.
    Thanks. I tried that initially (reading the 'help' page), but I have the first radio button of 'Allow remote assistance', but my Vista does not have 'Allow connections only from computer running remote desktop'.

As mentioned above, this must be because my Vista is the 'home premium' edition, which is not supported by BB remote desktop app.

Yeah, it does not give a more specific error. However, it definitely is an issue because of my 'home edition' for Vista.

I installed it and it works fabulously well. It actually is much less laggy than my Splashtop HD and works very well with my laptop. The caveat ofcourse is that I had to install tight VNC on my laptop (which is why I bought Remote desktop since it does not require that).

Quote Originally Posted by svelt View Post
    Does Todd Grayson's remote desktop actually function any better than Splashtop so that it would be worth it to go through all this (I also have Vista home premium)? I have no issue installing something on a target machine, but I still find Splashtop a bit too laggy for serious use.
    That is why I bought the remote desktop app. However, as someone suggested above, try downloading imt VNC and installing it. It works really well and far less laggy than Splashtop HD and best of all, it is FREE!
    Last edited by BlackberryOS2PB; 03-18-2012 at 04:58 PM.
    Future:

- Blackberry 10???

Current:

- Apple iPhone 4

Past:

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

For those interested in the comparison between SplashTop and Remote Desktop, I'll pipe in as I have both. I have two Windows 7 machines running behind my router on my home network.

Remote Desktop relies on the native windows Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP). So you actually log onto the machine as a remote user. This requires the machine to be password protected and logs off the current user. RDP minimized the bandwidth requirements by simplifying the interface somewhat. This includes turning off the wall paper etc. So it works best over limited bandwidth connections. It doesn't play sound and it won't use the PlayBook's mic or camera. Video playback is choppy as well, although tweaking the Win 7 RDP settings could help. It won't work across the bridge so it requires wifi, teather or a hotspot. Lastly to use it outside your home network will require port forwarding on your home router. If you have multiple machines running behind a router, you may have to change the RDP default port on one or more of the PC's and make the same changes in the Windows firewall and port forwarding. So while no client is required on the PC, the configuration is not for someone who is not knowledge about all of the above. The endless variety of Windows and router configurations make a step by step instructions nearly impossible.

By contrast SplashTop is a breeze to install. In contrast to Remote Desktop, SplashTop uses a client to capture and stream video of your desktop. It also will stream audio to the PlayBook so watching video files playing on your PC is possible if you're connection is good enough. It doesn't use the PlayBook's mic, so Skype is not possible. To install it you need to download the client to your PC, then log into your Gmail account (you'll need one if you don't have one). It works pretty much seamlessly behind your router by auto-configuring your router's port forwarding. There is really nothing to configure and it will work from anywhere. It also allows you to switch monitors if you have a dual monitor setup. It features uses quite a few unique gestures for panning and scrolling. The downside is that it uses more bandwidth than Remote Desktop. As with Remote Desktop, it will not work over the bridge.

So, the main differences between the two have to do with the way you are connected to your PC. SplashTop is a truer representation of what you would see sitting in front of your computer. And it's easier for the novice to configure. The downside is complexity which seems to reduce the reliability of the session. It also has some quirks that can basically cause the client to fail and shut down, effectively locking you out of remotely accessing your PC.

Remote Desktop is a simple and more reliable solution that comes at the cost of configuration complexity. This is why I have both. SplashTop is for times when I need to access multimedia content and have the bandwidth to do so. Remote Desktop is for when bandwidth is limited and I need a reliable way to connect. I have even used Remote Desktop to reboot SplashTop when I have a SplashTop client failure.

Each has its advantages but if I were to choose one it would be Remote Desktop for its robustness. Just be prepared to spend a bit of time figuring out how to set it up.

Old Ag
    Thanked by:
    BlackberryOS2PB (03-18-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Thanks. That was very insightful.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ag View Post
    For those interested in the comparison between SplashTop and Remote Desktop, I'll pipe in as I have both. I have two Windows 7 machines running behind my router on my home network.

Remote Desktop relies on the native windows Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP). So you actually log onto the machine as a remote user. This requires the machine to be password protected and logs off the current user. RDP minimized the bandwidth requirements by simplifying the interface somewhat. This includes turning off the wall paper etc. So it works best over limited bandwidth connections. It doesn't play sound and it won't use the PlayBook's mic or camera. Video playback is choppy as well, although tweaking the Win 7 RDP settings could help. It won't work across the bridge so it requires wifi, teather or a hotspot. Lastly to use it outside your home network will require port forwarding on your home router. If you have multiple machines running behind a router, you may have to change the RDP default port on one or more of the PC's and make the same changes in the Windows firewall and port forwarding. So while no client is required on the PC, the configuration is not for someone who is not knowledge about all of the above. The endless variety of Windows and router configurations make a step by step instructions nearly impossible.

By contrast SplashTop is a breeze to install. In contrast to Remote Desktop, SplashTop uses a client to capture and stream video of your desktop. It also will stream audio to the PlayBook so watching video files playing on your PC is possible if you're connection is good enough. It doesn't use the PlayBook's mic, so Skype is not possible. To install it you need to download the client to your PC, then log into your Gmail account (you'll need one if you don't have one). It works pretty much seamlessly behind your router by auto-configuring your router's port forwarding. There is really nothing to configure and it will work from anywhere. It also allows you to switch monitors if you have a dual monitor setup. It features uses quite a few unique gestures for panning and scrolling. The downside is that it uses more bandwidth than Remote Desktop. As with Remote Desktop, it will not work over the bridge.

So, the main differences between the two have to do with the way you are connected to your PC. SplashTop is a truer representation of what you would see sitting in front of your computer. And it's easier for the novice to configure. The downside is complexity which seems to reduce the reliability of the session. It also has some quirks that can basically cause the client to fail and shut down, effectively locking you out of remotely accessing your PC.

Remote Desktop is a simple and more reliable solution that comes at the cost of configuration complexity. This is why I have both. SplashTop is for times when I need to access multimedia content and have the bandwidth to do so. Remote Desktop is for when bandwidth is limited and I need a reliable way to connect. I have even used Remote Desktop to reboot SplashTop when I have a SplashTop client failure.

Each has its advantages but if I were to choose one it would be Remote Desktop for its robustness. Just be prepared to spend a bit of time figuring out how to set it up.

Old Ag
    Last edited by BlackberryOS2PB; 03-18-2012 at 09:40 PM.
    Future:

- Blackberry 10???

Current:

- Apple iPhone 4

Past:

Banned

Making it harder for me to choose.. lol