How can I reduce or eliminate banners and pop up ads on PB? Shutting off Flash helps but many times I need Flash. On Firefox there is an app that helps a lot but won't work with PB OS.
    12-17-11 11:48 AM
    Port Firefox to the PB
    12-17-11 12:42 PM
    This is why apps are better than websites
    12-17-11 03:34 PM
    How can I reduce or eliminate banners and pop up ads on PB? Shutting off Flash helps but many times I need Flash. On Firefox there is an app that helps a lot but won't work with PB OS.
    it's a bit extreme and I have no idea how well it is implemented but apparently the beta 2 has a "reader" feature like Apple iOS 5.

On the iPhone, iPad and Apple's desktop operating systems, the word "reader" appears on the right side of the address bar of most sites that you load. Press it and it ruthlessly strips away everything but the main text and relevant images. No ads or other crap remain. I don't know much about the algorithm used, but it is amazing to use. One of the main frustrations browsing with the Playbook is the lack of this feature in 1.08.

As much as I miss this feature on the Playbook, there is no way I will subject myself to a beta release from RIM considering how flaky (browser crashes etc) and incomplete their general release software is. Perhaps a beta user may be able to comment on its utility.
    12-17-11 04:06 PM
    I noticed a recent development at CB where words within forum posts are now underlined and lead to links to ads. This is highly annoying when browsing on a phone or tablet as accidental clicks totally RUIN the experience.

Kevin -- Please fix this.
    12-17-11 04:30 PM
    Disable JavaScript?
    12-17-11 05:08 PM
    I noticed a recent development at CB where words within forum posts are now underlined and lead to links to ads. This is highly annoying when browsing on a phone or tablet as accidental clicks totally RUIN the experience.

Kevin -- Please fix this.
    I don't see this. All forum posts are plain text - or at least only with the formatting and links added by the writer. I believe our forum software actually strips stray HTML from within the submitted content.

My guess is this is being added either (a) by your ISP, or (b) by some extra feature of your browser. Can you tell us more about your system - OS, browser and it's addon, plugins, toolbars...
    12-17-11 05:21 PM
    If you disable java script, it will stop most of the pop up ads, and on Crackberry, the pages will load faster.

Please disregard the rude comments from some members, some people are frustrated, and some people are just having a bad day. This site is an excellent source of information, and there are a lot of people willing to help. Have a great day!
    Lhendr likes this.
    12-17-11 05:42 PM
    I don't see this. All forum posts are plain text - or at least only with the formatting and links added by the writer. I believe our forum software actually strips stray HTML from within the submitted content.

My guess is this is being added either (a) by your ISP, or (b) by some extra feature of your browser. Can you tell us more about your system - OS, browser and it's addon, plugins, toolbars...
    I don't know about some of that but in the last two days, I have gotten popup ads on Crackberry - you know a floating window with an X-Close box. This was while using firefox on win system.
    12-17-11 05:46 PM

I have seen these anoying keyword links in the forum posts here too. This is on the Playbook browser. I am not sure if it is the posters using software that is inserting them or if there is an as banner/ad that is running something. I haven't seen it latley though and I think most of them were on low post count posters. I may have also noticed a google ad box at the bottom of the screen, so may be something google related.
    Last edited by robsteve; 12-17-11 at 05:53 PM.
    12-17-11 05:49 PM
    I also saw that yesterday I believe. I have never seen it before on this site. I can't remember what part of the site I saw it on. It was like one of those annoying sites where every other word had that double underline. Like land mines waiting far an accidental click. I had forgotten about it until I saw that comment.

I was using internet explorer at the time on my PC. I don't do toolbars. I'll have to check those add-ons.
    12-17-11 05:51 PM
    I also saw that yesterday I believe. I have never seen it before on this site. I can't remember what part of the site I saw it on. It was like one of those annoying sites where every other word had that double underline. Like land mines waiting far an accidental click. I had forgotten about it until I saw that comment.

I was using internet explorer at the time on my PC. I don't do toolbars. I'll have to check those add-ons.
    They definitely were there early today but now they are gone
    You could see them on the PlayBook (regular and mobile sites), iPhone (regular and mobile sites, 3G and wifi), and Internet explorer (latest version, 64bit, Win7). I've attached a screen shot from my phone. The underlines seem to have gone from that post now. Let's hope they stay that way.
    12-17-11 06:15 PM
    Still there and just saw the same on my PB while logged out. Logged in and they are gone.
    12-17-11 06:45 PM
    why are my posts double underlining ? i dont get any ads or pop ups at all on my pb
    12-17-11 06:53 PM
    Still there and just saw the same on my PB while logged out. Logged in and they are gone.
    You're right! I just tested by logging out/in. I see the double underline when I'm logged out but they seem to be gone when I log in. I'm using my work computer, Win7 64bit, IE9.

branta -- is this the direction CB is going?
    12-17-11 07:04 PM
    why are my posts double underlining ? i dont get any ads or pop ups at all on my pb
    I think that's what we are wondering. It doesn't happen when I'm logged in. No big deal. Someone click one.
    12-17-11 07:06 PM
    Almost certain these are applied after leaving the CB servers. I've seen the double underline before but I can't remember what generates it.

I've never seen this in CB posts, but with FF running NoScript and Adblock+ (much to Kevin's disgust) and blocking crap like doubleclick it is difficult for the annoyances to get to my screen. A quick check with vanilla IE8 didn't show anything from about 30 threads viewed so I'm still thinking toolbars, plugins, addons... or spiked in by an ISP's proxy server.
    12-17-11 07:08 PM
    That's strange I have never seen that before a day or two ago. I get the same on the PB and PC but not always. Verizon then maybe?
    12-17-11 07:17 PM
    This is not ISP-specific and it only started within the last 2 days.

branta did you try the CB site after logging out?
    12-17-11 07:45 PM
    IE was never logged in here, I dropped in as visitor. I keep IE absolutely vanilla, only used for a few technical tasks where IE is explicitly required so I'm confident there are no unexpected addons to interfere on this installation.
    12-17-11 08:21 PM
    Just to clarify...

As mentioned on some other threads recently, we're doing some experimenting/working with different ad implementations on the site, seeing what works and doesn't work and also balancing things for casual visitors (more ads) and logged in registered members (less ads).

Re: The double underline links. We added those a little while ago. They only show on the forums if you're not logged in, and on content on the blogs that is older than 30 days old, again, if you're not logged in. If you're a member and logged in, you'll never see them (so if you don't like them, become a member and login!). So far things have been pretty smooth with this implementation. Again, we want to keep things very streamlined and smoothed for our regular visitors/members, with the trade off being that we're a little heavier with ads for casual visitors.
    Michelle Haag likes this.
    12-18-11 12:06 AM
    Just to clarify...

As mentioned on some other threads recently, we're doing some experimenting/working with different ad implementations on the site, seeing what works and doesn't work and also balancing things for casual visitors (more ads) and logged in registered members (less ads).

Re: The double underline links. We added those a little while ago. They only show on the forums if you're not logged in, and on content on the blogs that is older than 30 days old, again, if you're not logged in. If you're a member and logged in, you'll never see them (so if you don't like them, become a member and login!). So far things have been pretty smooth with this implementation. Again, we want to keep things very streamlined and smoothed for our regular visitors/members, with the trade off being that we're a little heavier with ads for casual visitors.
    Thanks for the explanation, Kevin.

Should mention that whenever I encounter a web page with those minefield ads, I close it and move to another page/site. Casual visitors to CB may do the same, not realizing that logging in would improve things.
    12-18-11 01:09 AM
    I will admit that I am not the brightest bulb on the tree, but I don't see the point in forcing click through ads, and pop up ads that activate when you are moving your mouse down the page.

Are there really people that like these ads? Honestly, they p__ me off, and make me not want anything to do with the page or site.

I don't mind the ads on a page that are just taking up space, I can look at them if I want, but they don't bother me, and they still have an effect on me psychologically, potentially making me interested in the product or service. I just have a hard time believing that people look at ads and buy products when they are aggravated at the ads being shoved in their face.

I believe that subliminal advertising works, but can have a more positive effect when employed in a more passive manner.

I understand the theory of the more you see it, and the more it sticks in your mind, then the more likely you will be interested in it, but when I see a Best Buy product shoved in my face to the point that it makes me frustrated, I develop a negative attitude towards Best Buy, and potentially that product.

In this case, I am just using a script blocker to avoid dealing with it at all, but it shouldn't have to come to that.

I love Crackberry, and I shop for products here occasionally, but I admit my main reason for being here is information exchange, and I know that does not generate a lot of income, but I still say you can catch more flies with honey.
    D_Whatley likes this.
    12-18-11 01:54 AM
    I don't know about some of that but in the last two days, I have gotten popup ads on Crackberry - you know a floating window with an X-Close box. This was while using firefox on win system.
    I have gotten this too! Very annoying. I am using internet explorer on vista.
    12-18-11 02:42 AM
    Thanks for taking the time to clear that up.
    As for the ads I agree with lotus. When I encounter a site like that most times I dismiss it with looking at the content.
    12-18-11 07:11 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD