I've searched and read the other red flashing light threads but none seem to fix my problem. Last night my playbook was at 98% battery life. I turned it off and plugged it in to charge like always. Today I try to turn it on, and it goes through the whole boot up process. Just before it's about to show the home screen it just goes black and the red light starts flashing.

All the threads on here talk about updating the desktop manager. When I plug my playbook in there is no message about updating. When I open the desktop manager software there are no options for updating anything. The other threads on here are about the battery being dead or too low. Which is not an issue since it would have only had to charge 2%, and it's been sitting charging for over 10 hours, when I unplugged it and tried to turn it on. Also those people mentioned a green flashing light as well. I get no green only a constant flashing red light every few seconds.
    12-20-11 10:53 PM
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown

Sometimes the display looks as if it is off but it is dark gray and in a dark room/closet you can see that the display is not fully off. Pressing the power button can toggle it ON and OFF. But try the above 3-fingers. Sometimes it is hard to get all 3 down at one time.

Use the ac charger and not usb.
    12-21-11 12:30 AM
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown

Sometimes the display looks as if it is off but it is dark gray and in a dark room/closet you can see that the display is not fully off. Pressing the power button can toggle it ON and OFF. But try the above 3-fingers. Sometimes it is hard to get all 3 down at one time.

Use the ac charger and not usb.
    I tried this already and I got the red light to turn off, then I hit the power button and it just started flashing at me again. You're right it's very hard to get all 3 down at once, the buttons are so difficult to use on this thing. I had to try several times just to get all 3 down. I always use the ac charger, I only use the usb cable to connect it to the pc.

I tried what you said above again and still no change.
    12-21-11 10:00 AM
    Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]

I guess you can try the debrick method. Try making sure that the pb is OFF.

Run Desktop manager. Plug in the pb. If nothing occurs, try turning on the pb while plugged in. Watch, apparently a prompt will temporarily appear - pick UPDATE if it appears and let it run - it can take time. Also only do this where wifi is available as you will still need it, I believe.

There are other threads on bebricking.

good luck.
    12-21-11 10:47 AM
    Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]

I guess you can try the debrick method. Try making sure that the pb is OFF.

Run Desktop manager. Plug in the pb. If nothing occurs, try turning on the pb while plugged in. Watch, apparently a prompt will temporarily appear - pick UPDATE if it appears and let it run - it can take time. Also only do this where wifi is available as you will still need it, I believe.

There are other threads on bebricking.

good luck.
    I had read the other debrick threads and when I plugged it in my computer recognizes my playbook. I open the thing that's in the system tray, but I see nothing about updating. Is that the same thing as the desktop manager? I've tried plugging it in with the pb red light flashing, and also tried after using those 3 buttons that made the light stop blinking. Nothing asks about upgrading. I just see the little icon in the system tray showing that it recognizes my playbook is plugged in.
    12-21-11 11:21 AM
    No... Turn off playbook.

Open Desktop manager.

PLug playbook into the computer (via usb cable)

Desktop manager should prompt you that it detects the playbook but it is not responding. Would you like to update it? Select Yes.

Everything on your playbook will be wiped as a result.
    lesarmitage likes this.
    12-21-11 11:32 AM
    If desktop manager recognizes the PB then its turned on. Hard to see if its on or not unless your in a dark room. The 3 button re-boot will shut it down but then restart. Try to hold the power button for 15-20 seconds then wait a few minutes to see if it fully shuts down. If you can get it to fully shut down plug in the charger and wait a few minutes to see if you can get the flashing yellowish/greenish light. If it does then just let it go until the light stays solid.
    12-21-11 11:40 AM
    I was looking and all I have is the blackberry device manager. Where do I get the desktop manager? I know it'll wipe out everything, but nothing too valuable on there right now. I'd rather have it wiped clean and functioning, than full of data and bricked heh.
    12-21-11 11:44 AM
    You have to have desktop manager installed on your PC before you try the de-brick method.
    http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-21-11 11:44 AM
    Thanks, everyone kept saying the desktop manager and I thought that was just what it installed when you first plugged it in. No one linked to it in the other debricking threads. I'm downloading now and will give it a try.
    12-21-11 11:52 AM
    Sorry about the ambiguous reference to Desktop Manager. Sometimes we presume too much. Good luck
    12-21-11 12:33 PM
    Just wanted to follow up I was able to install the update after installing the desktop manager. Now it's working again. Still sucks to lose all my data, but at least it's working. Thanks everyone for the help.
    Chaddface likes this.
    12-21-11 10:33 PM
    Glad your up and running once. Now back-up your PB using your shiny new desktop manager. If it ever happens again you just restore.
    Thanks for updating your thread.
    12-21-11 10:50 PM
    Mine is doing the exact same thing this morning. Is there any way to get the files off the playbook? I have lots of pictures and probably 5gb of video that i need to get off before i can wipe it but i am getting the double red flashing light and it won't boot anymore.
    12-28-11 02:25 PM
    Mine is doing the exact same thing this morning. Is there any way to get the files off the playbook? I have lots of pictures and probably 5gb of video that i need to get off before i can wipe it but i am getting the double red flashing light and it won't boot anymore.
    If you need to Debrick, you will lose any data you have not backed up previously. Reboot will not lose data.

You have tried:

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shoot and probably missed the PowerButton.
    12-28-11 03:20 PM
    I had the same problem too! Ended up wiping the device, which was annoying, but I was going to do it anyways.
    12-28-11 03:22 PM
    Tried the rebooting with the device unplugged and plugged in, the light will stop blinking but once you try to power on the device it blinks red twice again.
    12-28-11 03:33 PM
    When I first got my PB I used to turn it off all the time until it almost bricked on me. Since then I just don't turn it off at all, I just let it go to sleep. The power button being so horrible is another reason.
    12-28-11 04:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD