The "BlackBerry Bridge" is THE reason carriers haven't warmed to the PlayBook. For wireless carriers, (and all business for that matter ) it's all about revenue. However, many PlayBook reviewers cite that wireless carriers are reluctant to embrace the PlayBook because it lacks native email, calendar and a bevy of apps. They suggest that carriers don�t want to subject their customers to a less-than satisfactory user experience. These reasons are a smokescreen. Quite simply, carriers won�t see the income stream with the PlayBook that they�ll see with the IPad or Galaxy. The annual cost of a tablet data plan, can exceed the cost of the tablet itself. When/if consumers understand the savings they can realize with a PlayBook utilizing BlackBerry Bridge, they�ll see that BlackBerry�s 7� wonder is a bargain compared to other tablets.
    06-30-11 09:37 PM
    have a look at Maxis... they do packaged it with "Playbook data plan"... confusing enuf! theyll spin their marketing strategy so that eventually, they got the last laugh.. poor people, have to pay more

Maxis - Maxis for Personal Use - BlackBerry
    CBplayer likes this.
    06-30-11 09:42 PM
    or because a 3g/4g playbook has yet to be released.
    Last edited by Foreverup; 06-30-11 at 09:53 PM.
    06-30-11 09:50 PM
    ehhee surprise surprise?
    06-30-11 09:52 PM
    Huh? Telus total embraces bridge. They even have. TV commercials dedicated to bridge with BB feature.

I believe Bell has special promotions when you buy a BB and PB combo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-11 11:07 PM
    and att loves bridge too
    06-30-11 11:08 PM
    i think most canadian carriers have no issue at all. ATT is the only carrier actively blocking the bridge
    06-30-11 11:13 PM
    piece of sh!t AT&t, carriers always getting in the way
    06-30-11 11:16 PM
    i think most canadian carriers have no issue at all. ATT is the only carrier actively blocking the bridge
    theres always a walkaroundbut yeah i agree they intentionaly block the bridge.
    06-30-11 11:18 PM
    i have att and after that last OTA update for the bridge app the bridge browser now works
    06-30-11 11:23 PM
    I agree with number 3 and part of number 1. It is hard to sell something that you don't have. When the 3/4g playbooks are released, then the carriers will sell them. Not everyone wants to tether the playbook to their phone. Especially, when the carriers will offer some discount on the innitial cost of the playbook. Knok a couple of hundred dollars off the top and lock in to a contract, what's not to like. I have a BB phone and I never tether. My phone only has 3 g service. I pay 50 dollars extra a month for my pocket wifi, that has speeds 3 to 4 times faster than my phone and blows the bridge browser out of the water. Of course I can still bridge outside of the pocket router's area, but if my carrier sold the 4 g playbook, I would upgrade. If you use the playbook for business as I do, the higher speeds and dedicated connection is priceless. Not having to pair your phone in a pinch is worth the extra cost for some. The other thing is the carriers will not sell the playbook without native PIM. So, until it is ready, there is nothing to embrace. Box stores can sell the playbook just fine till all is ready.

I have enough points with my carrier when the playbook is released to get it for free on a two year plan. So, they better get their 4g service up and running, so I can get hooked up with 100Mbps speeds.
    Last edited by Schlymer; 07-01-11 at 01:44 AM.
    06-30-11 11:39 PM
    MTS in Manitoba is selling the pb.
    06-30-11 11:49 PM
    They aren't embracing it because the market/consumers are not. It is not attractive enough in any way, to be more successful than other top products out there.

I think your theory is worth entertaining though, but it looks like a way to say the PB isn't successful as it could be.....because it's "everyone else's fault." Which is just silly.
    Last edited by stevelord; 07-01-11 at 12:52 AM.
    07-01-11 12:43 AM
    what messed it up for rim was the bridge....it was and still is a band aid....a very loose one....even now

i dont bridge anymore, i just use my bb

bridge browsing is nothing revolutionary....tether could make a bridge browser is rim released the native sdk

i love the pb because its a 7 in web browser and i have high hopes for it ....most people wouldnt pay 600 bux for a tablet now a days and wait for it to become something more.....yes, ipad had problems on release, android did too, but why would consumers want to put up with it now with so many choices?
    07-01-11 05:20 AM
    You can embrace technology, or you can bury your head in the sand! Telus in Canada has embraced it and is promoting Bridging and Tethering as a free service with your data plan. It doesn't cost me a cent to surf the web on my PB via my BB and I am loving it!

If the carrier is smart they will make money by up selling you on the data plan! I went from a 1G plan to a 6G plan because of the added usage on my PB. AT&T can resist all they want but they will not be able to stop the tide no matter how hard they try. It is only a matter of time before other smartphone manufactures include bridging capabilities. The longer AT&T resists the more they look like money grubbing fools. Shame on you AT&T for taking advantage of your clients!
    Northernlady likes this.
    07-01-11 08:03 AM
    Am I missing something? Bridge only allows for BROWSING (as it relates to revenue generation). Bridge does NOT allow apps to access the internet to function (unless there is a setting I'm missing) So while the Bridge may let you surf sites it will do nothing to allow you fire up Kobo or Kindle (when/if it ever hits the shelf) to d/l new titles.

So unless you have a tether plan (God knows that Tether.com has fallen flat on their face when it comes to getting a tether app out to us) you can't use many of your apps without paying your carrier.
    07-01-11 08:27 AM
    Am I missing something? Bridge only allows for BROWSING (as it relates to revenue generation). Bridge does NOT allow apps to access the internet to function (unless there is a setting I'm missing) So while the Bridge may let you surf sites it will do nothing to allow you fire up Kobo or Kindle (when/if it ever hits the shelf) to d/l new titles.

So unless you have a tether plan (God knows that Tether.com has fallen flat on their face when it comes to getting a tether app out to us) you can't use many of your apps without paying your carrier.
    That will change when Amazon introduces their Kindle web app, everyone will love the bridge browser.
    07-01-11 08:30 AM
    For the same reasons the developers aren't either, or the same reasons that RIM itself can't provide most basic functions.
    07-01-11 08:41 AM
    AT&T blocking Bridge is pure politics... I think it's retaliation for not giving them exclusives on the new phones.
    07-01-11 09:38 AM
    RIM is coming out with 3g model, that will be additional revenue.
    07-01-11 10:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD