Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 93
Like Tree30Likes
  1. Silverfern's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,040 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Reason for the price drop?

    i dont think its because RIM is clearing out and discontinuing like the touchpad, i believe RIM is willing to lose some money and try to get the playbook to as many people as possible and have people play around with it before they release OS2, which they believe will be so good that people will be waiting eagerly for the release of playbook 2 next year, thus boosting the sales of playbook 2. So i think RIM is losing some money here and then making it all back in the future, and try tackle the market that way. Otherwise why would they be selling it through their website instead of just shipping everything to futureshop/staples?
  2. BryantCarpio's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Because of the Amazon Fire.
  3. jasonvw's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    For a couple reasons I'm sure. It's better to sell it at 199 now then at 99 later.
    It also gets the is out to more people and by the looks of it to a lot more people.
    These people may now want a qnx bb. It should also attract more developers.
    And there's probably a playbook 2 on the horizon.
  4. blackjack93117's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    4,157 Posts
    PIN
    Wooden shoe like to know
    #4  

    Default

    Just so too many rumors don't start flying I like to quote this guy who seems credible, looking for confirmation on this.



    Quote Originally Posted by deRusett View Post
    RIM reaffirmed their commitment to the PlayBook yesterday during their innovations forum in Toronto.

    devices running OS2 were on display with various features we've been waiting for.

    There is little doubt in my mind that PlayBooks will repopulate the shelves of retailers many more times, Futureshop is taking Backorders which means they do Plan to fill them
    Quote Originally Posted by deRusett View Post
    They had on Display,
    native email, native calendar with some nice views
    They had the PlayBook being able to use a BlackBerry handset as a input tool!!! (BIGGEST FEATURE for me hello awesome keyboard)
    They had spellcheck Word Substitution included
  5. Sonic77's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    379 Posts
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    They are selling them for $199 as they had a massive inventory
    and they were not selling at higher prices.

    Does it help RIM succeed in the tablet market going forward, is debatable.

    Will the greatly publicized $199 price make it very hard sell for any more ... Yes

    Will these buyers want to buy the Playbook 2 for $500 ... No.

    Will these buyers spend significant amounts on apps ... No.
    Last edited by Sonic77; 11-24-2011 at 07:20 AM.
  6. kill_9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,168 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfern View Post
    i believe RIM is willing to lose some money and try to get the playbook to as many people as possible and have people play around with it before they release OS2, which they believe will be so good that people will be waiting eagerly for the release of playbook 2 next year, thus boosting the sales of playbook 2.
    It will be at least 3 months until the release of BBPBOS 2.0 by which time people likely have moved on to another tablet after returning the BlackBerry PlayBook and the media will not be merciful. The general consumer has no patience; they want instant gratification today not next week much less next year. All we get from Research In Motion are promises, broken promises to be certain. While I use my tablet each day the deficiencies cannot to covered up nor glossed over.
  7. #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfern View Post
    i dont think its because RIM is clearing out and discontinuing like the touchpad, i believe RIM is willing to lose some money and try to get the playbook to as many people as possible and have people play around with it before they release OS2, which they believe will be so good that people will be waiting eagerly for the release of playbook 2 next year, thus boosting the sales of playbook 2. So i think RIM is losing some money here and then making it all back in the future, and try tackle the market that way. Otherwise why would they be selling it through their website instead of just shipping everything to futureshop/staples?
    This, plus it's cheaper for them now to sell what's left a loss than to keep them in inventory for as long as they've been sitting unsold. Obviously it would be better if they had been able to move more at the full price, but this certainly isn't the worst thing in the world, for the reasons you stated. Missing a February delivery of OS2, now that would be worse. I think that, come February, they will have to seriously consider pricing it a little lower than the iPad. No matter what they are able to pack in the PB, the iPad is so well established now that RIM will never be able to compete with it on features alone.
    Ed

    Ursus moderatus levisomnus.
  8. #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    It will be at least 3 months until the release of BBPBOS 2.0 by which time people likely have moved on to another tablet after returning the BlackBerry PlayBook and the media will not be merciful. The general consumer has no patience; they want instant gratification today not next week much less next year. All we get from Research In Motion are promises, broken promises to be certain. While I use my tablet each day the deficiencies cannot to covered up nor glossed over.
    You mean like all the ones that were returned after being purchased at full price? Everybody who has ever looked at a tablet is fully aware of all the PlayBook's shortcomings by now. I think you might want to recheck your crystal ball on that.
    Ed

    Ursus moderatus levisomnus.
  9. mc21's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    362 Posts
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Supply and demand. More specifically, high supply and low demand. It cost money to have items sit on a shelf so retailers are selling it at a lost if need be. The same goes for cars. When they need the space they are willing to sell it for a bit cheaper than the MSRP. RIM followed suit most likely because they have a crapload leftover and the worth of tablets as with any phone goes down the longer it has been out. So they're trying to sell a sinking ship by making it look more attractive price wise. Not dissing the PB by any means as I had one and enjoyed it. This is just reality that there is a low demand for it.
  10. Fat Bastage's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    133 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    I think the fact that you can buy from RIM direct for $199 is noteworthy. I assumed that the retailers were driving this by desiring to clear their valuable display space and their inventory. However, if RIM is following suit and clearing their warehouses by moving them at a loss, then I suspect that RIM has a a plan for the playbook that they aren't being up front about yet. Is a new hardware form on its way? Is RIM sitting on huge inventory in their warehouses too that they need to liquidate (I would have thought it would be out into the channels by now)?

    There actions seem to be going against their statement that they are "fully committed to the playbook".
  11. kill_9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,168 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 18to7fiddy View Post
    You mean like all the ones that were returned after being purchased at full price? Everybody who has ever looked at a tablet is fully aware of all the PlayBook's shortcomings by now. I think you might want to recheck your crystal ball on that.
    A lot of recent purchases of the BlackBerry PlayBook have been impulse buys as stated by several forum members. As such it is probable that some of these tablets will be returned just as with any consumer product. No crystal ball necessary. And for the record I enjoy using my BlackBerry PlayBooks on a daily basis but am not blind to its present deficiencies which hopefully will be addressed in future OS releases beginning with the "expected" delivery in February of 2012. A person can be a supporter and a critic at the same time without being a hypocrite.
  12. jeffreytoronto's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Seems kind of obvious to me. Sales were poor, native email was delayed 8months and so to keep product moving, drop the price.

    It is already expected that models with 4g radios will be released in the new year at some point. My prediction is they will come out with playbook 2, new models with 4g and native email etc... it will be a new relaunch.

    PB 1 will get the OS update... but it will either be the "older" model or just play second fiddle to the new 4g model that will be released.
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bastage View Post
    I think the fact that you can buy from RIM direct for $199 is noteworthy. I assumed that the retailers were driving this by desiring to clear their valuable display space and their inventory. However, if RIM is following suit and clearing their warehouses by moving them at a loss, then I suspect that RIM has a a plan for the playbook that they aren't being up front about yet. Is a new hardware form on its way? Is RIM sitting on huge inventory in their warehouses too that they need to liquidate (I would have thought it would be out into the channels by now)?

    There actions seem to be going against their statement that they are "fully committed to the playbook".
    My guess, as I noted earlier, is that they just need to clear out inventory. I don't think there's new hardware coming just yet, although I can't completely rule that out, but there's really nothing wrong with the current machinery, other than the addition of a 4G radio. I also think RIM is driving this, not the retailers, because we're seeing such uniform pricing across the board.

    As for RIM's commitment to the tablet market, see deRusett's posts #7 and 10 in this thread: PB's gone for good in Canada?. I'd say they are committed.
    Ed

    Ursus moderatus levisomnus.
  14. stackberry369's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,463 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    They should have made 1 pb,price it at $199.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  15. Dukey Avalon's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    117 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 18to7fiddy View Post
    My guess, as I noted earlier, is that they just need to clear out inventory. I don't think there's new hardware coming just yet, although I can't completely rule that out, but there's really nothing wrong with the current machinery, other than the addition of a 4G radio. I also think RIM is driving this, not the retailers, because we're seeing such uniform pricing across the board.

    As for RIM's commitment to the tablet market, see deRusett's posts #7 and 10 in this thread: PB's gone for good in Canada?. I'd say they are committed.
    RIM has a pretty lousy track record with following through on anything with the Playbook. I would argue with their actions they never committed to the Playbook. They may not have abandoned the Playbook but they have abandoned the first gen Playbook. This deep discounting has made it clear even RIM realizes their garbage handling of this tablet has rendered it impossible to sell decent numbers at retail. With so many discount units they cannot put the price up unless they bring out a different version of the tablet.

    What angers me the most is we can all see where it is going but the amateurs at RIM still muddle along as if they mean something. I had hoped they would let OS2 arrive before blowing the entire inventory of Playbooks out. Now it's clear the PB1 is irrelevant. Find me a time in history a company has discounted this deeply with this mamy units and been able to raise their price back. Nope. I hope I am wrong, but I would bet I'm not. This whole experience with the PB has been one idiotic event after another. It's not even so much about the money, I could care less.

    For those who say "oh well technology goes down in price". Get your head out of the sand. I have never had a device that was being sold by the manufacturer for 60% off less than a year after initial release.

    I hope OS 2 comes with a time travel app.
    skiboardty likes this.
  16. Fat Bastage's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    133 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    I recognize that they "reaffirmed their commitment" to the playbook at the innovations forum in Toronto. They even showed off native email and features of OS2. However, they did exactly the same thing at Blackberry World way back in May and nothing came. I suspect that they will never fully announce that the playbook is being discontinued like the HP tablet, instead my guess is that it is put on the back burner as they try to get QNX phones to market as well as see what iPad 3 comes out with. I can't see them placing any new orders with their manufacturers/component suppliers in the near future.
  17. l2iceman's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    38 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    A possibility with this strategy for RIM is that they are trying to get as many people onto the QNX platform as possible now. The first BBX phone is supposed to have the same screen resolution as the PB and so making it possible to have apps work universally(on both BBX and PB devices). This would give an incentive for the current/new PB owners to purchase a BBX phone on their next renewal, leading to an increase in apps purchases, giving developers more reason to release new apps, etc etc...

    I think it is a great strategy, especially considering the way the general image of RIM has gone recently, this is probably their best shot at rebounding in the next year to two years.
    nikolas4129 likes this.
  18. CosmicHeretic's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    51 Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by l2iceman View Post
    A possibility with this strategy for RIM is that they are trying to get as many people onto the QNX platform as possible now. The first BBX phone is supposed to have the same screen resolution as the PB and so making it possible to have apps work universally(on both BBX and PB devices). This would give an incentive for the current/new PB owners to purchase a BBX phone on their next renewal, leading to an increase in apps purchases, giving developers more reason to release new apps, etc etc...

    I think it is a great strategy, especially considering the way the general image of RIM has gone recently, this is probably their best shot at rebounding in the next year to two years.
    I think you are bang on. They are showcasing qnx os to sell the upcoming bbx phones. I just hope they use 4G radios in the new phones to maximize bridge speed.
  19. ugahairydawgs's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by l2iceman View Post
    A possibility with this strategy for RIM is that they are trying to get as many people onto the QNX platform as possible now. The first BBX phone is supposed to have the same screen resolution as the PB and so making it possible to have apps work universally(on both BBX and PB devices). This would give an incentive for the current/new PB owners to purchase a BBX phone on their next renewal, leading to an increase in apps purchases, giving developers more reason to release new apps, etc etc...

    I think it is a great strategy, especially considering the way the general image of RIM has gone recently, this is probably their best shot at rebounding in the next year to two years.
    I think that is a great idea and would be a great strategy. That said...I have a hard time believing RIM execs are savvy enough to think of it.

    I think what you said will be the ultimate outcome, but I think it will be more happy accident than anything else.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  20. JAGWIRE's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,328 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,333 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    everyone seems to be singing the same tune on this one. Make a loose now to make a profit later, its a basic strategy in the retail world. The PBs undersold like crazy and this is how RIM is telling the world 'hey our product rocks and we are gonna let everyone buy one at super cheep prices so they can see it.' It is a great device and is only gonna get better with OS 2.0.
    Back from the depths!!!
    9000>>9950>>8530>>9810>>Z10>>iPhone 5>>Z10
  21. Silverfern's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,040 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

    Default

    i live in waterloo, i see RIM everyday because i go to Uwaterloo, so i really like to see RIM succeeding. plus i like RIM CEOs more than Jobs
  22. blackjack93117's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    4,157 Posts
    PIN
    Wooden shoe like to know
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 18to7fiddy View Post
    My guess, as I noted earlier, is that they just need to clear out inventory. I don't think there's new hardware coming just yet, although I can't completely rule that out, but there's really nothing wrong with the current machinery, other than the addition of a 4G radio. I also think RIM is driving this, not the retailers, because we're seeing such uniform pricing across the board.

    As for RIM's commitment to the tablet market, see deRusett's posts #7 and 10 in this thread: PB's gone for good in Canada?. I'd say they are committed.
    Don't forget autofocus - I only have two issues with the hardware - lack of autofocus and video light on the camera, and I really don't like the narrow aspect ratio - I get that it is perfect for HD and maybe gaming, but really bad for just plain reading and browsing, which is the bulk of what i do.

    Who is this mysterious deRusset anyway? Everyone seems to respect his opinion, he is like the Zorro of the BB world - rides in with new info from Waterloo, carves a BB in someones shirt and rides back off into the sunset. Is he connected with RIM? Does he have credibility and how? He seems to, I don't know why though, I think it's because he has a tie. lol

    .
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-24-2011 at 11:07 PM.
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
  23. blackjack93117's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    4,157 Posts
    PIN
    Wooden shoe like to know
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dukey Avalon View Post
    RIM has a pretty lousy track record with following through on anything with the Playbook. I would argue with their actions they never committed to the Playbook. They may not have abandoned the Playbook but they have abandoned the first gen Playbook. This deep discounting has made it clear even RIM realizes their garbage handling of this tablet has rendered it impossible to sell decent numbers at retail. With so many discount units they cannot put the price up unless they bring out a different version of the tablet.

    What angers me the most is we can all see where it is going but the amateurs at RIM still muddle along as if they mean something. I had hoped they would let OS2 arrive before blowing the entire inventory of Playbooks out. Now it's clear the PB1 is irrelevant. Find me a time in history a company has discounted this deeply with this mamy units and been able to raise their price back. Nope. I hope I am wrong, but I would bet I'm not. This whole experience with the PB has been one idiotic event after another. It's not even so much about the money, I could care less.

    For those who say "oh well technology goes down in price". Get your head out of the sand. I have never had a device that was being sold by the manufacturer for 60% off less than a year after initial release.

    I hope OS 2 comes with a time travel app.
    It really doesn't matter if they discontinue PB1 for PB 2, ultimately it's expected - Apple does it all the time. Ipad 3 now, iphone 4S.

    Of course when RIM does it everyone will be crying foul - they got ripped off for buying PB 1, want a rebate, free apps, etc...I know I know, they bought it thinking it would have native email I know don't say it...

    They will still support the OS, and many new things will be retrofitted back to PB 1 that do not rely on new hardware - you will still see OS upgrades.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-24-2011 at 03:11 PM.
  24. #24  

    Default

    The ifad owns the space and the crapple infatuated U.S. media can talk of nothing else. There is no way to break into the tab market unless RIM undercuts the competition. Lack of a "home button" and stupid squabs being such a negative upon initial release is something that no one at RIM anticipated. Ergo, drop the price and get it out there. Judging from anecdotal inventory reports and new member sign ups here, the plan is working.
    emknc likes this.
  25. bitek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,367 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,522 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic77 View Post
    They are selling them for $199 as they had a massive inventory
    and they were not selling at higher prices.

    Does it help RIM succeed in the tablet market going forward, is debatable.

    Will the greatly publicized $199 price make it very hard sell for any more ... Yes

    Will these buyers want to buy the Playbook 2 for $500 ... No.

    Will these buyers spend significant amounts on apps ... No.
    1. Yes I agree that this generation Playbook would be hard to sell for full retail price

    2. Maybe It depends what Playbook 2 will offer. I think RIM should come out with low end and high end version of playbook.

    3. No I do not see co-relation. People will be buying apps as long as they are quality apps.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions