I know everyone just got these, but I'm wondering what the battery life is used in real world usage. If anyone had noticed what they are getting I would appreciate the info. I never trust the manufacturer's information. It's sometimes inflated. Thanks.
    04-19-11 05:37 PM
    On my way home from work I decided to check it out at Staples. I was fondling both the PB(&J j/k) and the Xoom. I like to believe that all I really have to decide on is battery life. I am in the market for a tablet and I too am interested in some "real world" stats on the PB's battery life.

I would also like to know what are you doing to preserve batt. life (i.e. dimm settings, flash on/off, avoiding bluetooth, ect.)

Looking forward to hearing some of you guys soon

Cheers
    04-20-11 08:07 PM
    I unplugged it this morning at 6:00am and now at 9:10pm, I've got 35% left. I don't think I plugged this into PC USB all day but can't recall (have set up three others today). I'll have to make sure it's charged and not plug it in tomorrow and see how it goes. While it had moderate use, it was not on all day but in "real world" usage, I don't expect it to be on all day. People were checking it out so it did get some decent use when I wasn't using it personally.

Edit: To answer the question more fully, it has been Bluetooth bridge tethering all day, haven't touched any settings to preserve battery life.

Edit2: My Torch is at 20% after bluetooth tethering all day. I was more worried about my Torch battery life than the PlayBook
    Last edited by snuci; 04-20-11 at 08:18 PM.
    04-20-11 08:13 PM
    my is currently at 50%. Started at 97% this morning and been using it all day played a few games, was on crackberry all day, answered all my emails through it, and watched a few videos. I bet i will easily get a day use out of it and I'm probably using more now then i will typically be.
    04-20-11 08:14 PM
    I've been using it for about 6 hours non-stop. Browsing, YouTube, Need for Speed, Tetris, and music playing CONSTANTLY. I'm at 25% remaining. I literally haven't put it down since I got home.
    04-20-11 08:18 PM
    14.5 hours, 15% remaining. Bluetooth bridge the whole time, wifi for about 12 of those hours, nothing done to really preserve battery life. Several demos for colleagues so showing off need for speed, HD video etc, maybe 15 mins total hooked up to USB uploading media.
    04-20-11 08:27 PM
    i used it virtually constantly today as my flight was delayed 6 hours. i plugged it in after 9 hours of virtuously continuous use, bridge and wifi on for at least 6 hours. 720p video for 1.5hours. regular video for 2 hrs. gaming for about an hr. at least 2 hours browsing. Pretty satisfied with it
    04-20-11 08:33 PM
    Regarding Playbook charging the manual states "Your tablet does not charge when turned off". So when your battery runs out (as mine is currently) you can't recharge your playbook. I called customer service and tier one and two support were in a quandry and I was left with "we'll get back to you". Nice
    04-20-11 08:45 PM
    Regarding Playbook charging the manual states "Your tablet does not charge when turned off". So when your battery runs out (as mine is currently) you can't recharge your playbook. I called customer service and tier one and two support were in a quandry and I was left with "we'll get back to you". Nice
    You've gotta be kidding me...
    04-20-11 08:47 PM
    wow...hopefully a software update to auto turn on the device when its plugged in can fix this...if not, it'll be horrible news for RIM...

back to battery useage, i just used it for about 2 hrs straight, and averaged a little more than 10%/hr, which isn't all too bad, compared to my ipad 2 at least..
    04-20-11 10:01 PM
    Started at 8:30 this morning at 100%. Used it off and on all day, played some music, surfed the web, browsed CB forums, couple of games, etc. It's almost midnight and I'm at 35%. Very happy with that. Oh yeah... used bridge apps also.
    Last edited by InnerChild; 04-20-11 at 10:16 PM.
    04-20-11 10:14 PM
    unplugged mine at about 6 this mornin, had 100%. it was off most of the day. turned it on around 3pm and bridged and wifi'd it up, and been surfing, answering emails, taught a class with it, and just "messin with it". its past 10pm and at 40%. im pleased with the battery performance so far.
    Last edited by Big Holy; 04-20-11 at 10:23 PM.
    04-20-11 10:21 PM
    It even says in the manual implying that this is done by design?? Ridiculous.
    04-20-11 10:25 PM
    You've gotta be kidding me...
    That is how most of the modern devices behave, even iOS devices does the same and doesn't charge when the device is turned off because battery charging management is built into the OS, only thing is that when plugged in on powered down mode then it should trigger the power on and then recharge, hope OS update answers this.
    04-20-11 10:25 PM
    I got about 8 hours on constant use mostly browsing, bridge and watching online videos.
    04-20-11 10:26 PM
    its been 12 hours now and its still has 50% left.wow im very impressed
    04-20-11 10:42 PM
    That is how most of the modern devices behave, even iOS devices does the same and doesn't charge when the device is turned off because battery charging management is built into the OS, only thing is that when plugged in on powered down mode then it should trigger the power on and then recharge, hope OS update answers this.
    I shut mine off last night to charge it, but when I plugged it in it turned back on automatically. So I think this is already built in (or mine has a favorable glitch).

As for battery life, I haven't really been paying attention to it, but it seems to be lasting long. I only charged it once since getting twice since getting it yesterday - once as soon as I got it and once overnight last night. And I won't be charging it tonight.
    04-20-11 10:57 PM
    I can't get a real judgement of battery life. It's day two.... plugged in for many hours and won't charge over 95%....yesterday it reached 97%. I have yet to see it hit 100%.... until I see a full charge how can I judge? This is more of annoyance than a problem right now.

I took it off the charger last night at 97%... used it non stop for 3 hours. Sat it down next to me unplugged overnight. Six hours later I woke up to it at 30%. That's not to bad in my book.
    04-20-11 11:17 PM
    Well mine was fully charged and I can tell you after an hour, maybe more of flash video and two hours of constant web browsing with a little need for speed its at 70%

My ipod touch would be at 50% by now.
    04-20-11 11:47 PM
    My PB shut itself down earlier today due to low battery. I plugged the charger in about 10 minutes later, then 10 minutes later, I tried to power it on. It did...no problems at all. It automatically connected to wi-fi and Bridge, and I was back to playing with my PlayBook.

Not sure if this counts as "turned off", but it definitely recharged in this situation. Hope it helps!
    04-21-11 01:20 AM
    Just leave it plugged in. This happened to mine and I left it for a few hours and when I came back it had started to charge. Not sure why?? Anyway I am positive Rim is building this into a software revision so it will work...and charge even if off as it will turn the playbook on first.

The battery life yesterday was about 9 hours. That was very heavy use. I had to plug my torch in because the battery was almost dead and the playbook was at around 15% last night when I plugged it in. I ran wifi, bridge all day, and need for speed and high def video, while surfing when ever i had a chance.

Love this thing....
    04-21-11 05:27 AM
    Meh I went to work and my wife played with it. She took it off charge @ 10am and "got addicted" to a couple of games. I got home and continued to play with it till 11:30pm. I was surfing on wifi, had the bridge to my torch, and installed a bunch of games. When I quit ( 11:30 it had 31% left.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-11 06:39 AM
    Just to add to the charging thing while off. I took mine brand new out the box and plugged it straight in as I tried to get the Wifi password etc I would need. It turned itself on within a few seconds.
    04-21-11 06:53 AM
    it lasts longer than i need it to.
    04-21-11 07:52 AM
    I asked the same battery drain question yesterday and someone said that if you drain the battery, it supplies power to turn it on to charge it

...anyone wanna test it
    04-21-11 07:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD