Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 67
Like Tree131Likes
  1. rotorwrench's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,995 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,001 Global Posts
    PIN
    Forget it
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default The REAL workhorse

    I have to share this before bed, thought it was cool. I go to a medical clinic today for an appointment. Go up to the reception desk to check in and notice an iPad on a stand facing me doing a slideshow with some clinic info and directions. I ask the woman behind the desk " You guys using some iPads eh ?" She said " Yes, this one" gesturing toward the iPad. Strange comment I thought. 10 minutes later I was ushered to the back clinic section and by the time I left, I saw four PBs ; one at the nurses's station and three in the hands of doctors in the hallways. I get it now. The iPad for show and the PB for serious work. I also got the nurse's comment up front now, the only iPad in the place was being used as a slideshow screen. Made my day
    If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
    Thanked by 9:
    BB10FTW (01-27-2012),  bbfan1040 (01-26-2012),  ccdawg (01-26-2012),  cudinhkien (01-28-2012),  frankzaman (01-27-2012),  glassofpinot (01-28-2012),  jasperlin (01-31-2012),  Jonathank (01-26-2012),  O-Cilfa (01-28-2012) 
  2. ridemaster's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    297 Posts
    PIN
    2ACB19A0
    #2  

    Default

    i love reading stuff like this, and the word workhorse is spot on.

    apple has completely brainwashed ppl, they spend tons of money on advertising. yet when you break it down to the actual apple product in your hands the bb/pb is far superior of a product.

    i know i went on a tangent but i needed to vent.
    Thanked by 5:
    bbfan1040 (01-26-2012),  cudinhkien (01-28-2012),  O-Cilfa (01-28-2012),  ralfyguy (01-26-2012),  rotorwrench (01-26-2012) 
  3. BryantCarpio's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Awesome! I returned my ipad2 in lest than 24hrs for many reasons, but bottom line it isn't a PlayBook. Great story, thanks for sharing.
    Thanked by:
    bbfan1040 (01-26-2012) 
    kmiller94, bbfan1040 and luigigosc like this.
  4. Unsure2's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    399 Posts
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
    I have to share this before bed, thought it was cool. I go to a medical clinic today for an appointment. Go up to the reception desk to check in and notice an iPad on a stand facing me doing a slideshow with some clinic info and directions. I ask the woman behind the desk " You guys using some iPads eh ?" She said " Yes, this one" gesturing toward the iPad. Strange comment I thought. 10 minutes later I was ushered to the back clinic section and by the time I left, I saw four PBs ; one at the nurses's station and three in the hands of doctors in the hallways. I get it now. The iPad for show and the PB for serious work. I also got the nurse's comment up front now, the only iPad in the place was being used as a slideshow screen. Made my day
    What was the clinic using the Playbook for?
  5. adiafzal's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    155 Posts
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    PIN
    the donkey
    #5  

    Default

    If I'm not mistaken, they use it to look at snapshots of a patient's anatomy.. his/her medical record, notes, etc. and being relatively small, it is also easy for them to carry / fit into their pockets / coats.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    8520 -> 9780 -> 9900 -> Z10
    Thanked by:
    bbfan1040 (01-26-2012) 
  6. bitek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,366 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,521 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    cool story. PB is great tablet with a lot of potential. Rim is working hard to improve it software wise. It is work horse indeed.
    Thanked by:
    bbfan1040 (01-26-2012) 
    kmiller94 likes this.
  7. r0v3rT3N's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,876 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,882 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
    I have to share this before bed, thought it was cool. I go to a medical clinic today for an appointment. Go up to the reception desk to check in and notice an iPad on a stand facing me doing a slideshow with some clinic info and directions. I ask the woman behind the desk " You guys using some iPads eh ?" She said " Yes, this one" gesturing toward the iPad. Strange comment I thought. 10 minutes later I was ushered to the back clinic section and by the time I left, I saw four PBs ; one at the nurses's station and three in the hands of doctors in the hallways. I get it now. The iPad for show and the PB for serious work. I also got the nurse's comment up front now, the only iPad in the place was being used as a slideshow screen. Made my day
    That made my day, thanks for the story!
    Check out my app: CChecker
  8. rotorwrench's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,995 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,001 Global Posts
    PIN
    Forget it
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

    Default

    It was late when I posted this last night. Now for details. Did you really think I would leave there without subjecting them to an inquisition? I asked the doc that was attending me and the summary of which was ; they had decided to try going as paperless as possible to streamline their system and integrate records. They started with a PB, an iPad and a Galaxy Tab 8.9. After everyone trying them out, they chose the PB. The iPad was out first mainly do to size, but later it turned out they had another reason. Between the Galaxy and PB, they preferred the PBs UI over Android and some operational issues. She also said that some of the staff had a tendency to not close out processes and when the Galaxy started getting weird (her word) they realized what was going on, but also noticed the PB wasn't as affected. The PB fits in their smock pockets, very convenient. Bridging and security were issues, as they have a third party contractor for record keeping and can directly send sensitive data directly and securely from the PB, skipping another record keeping step.

    She said eventually all patient encounters would involve a PB and then upon the end of the visit, the info would be sent directly to the station, billing and records. New appointments were made on the spot.

    She seemed very proud of their decision and happy with it so far. I'll keep tabs on them and see how it progresses.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-26-2012 at 10:04 AM.
    Thanked by 10:
    CDM76 (01-28-2012),  crunch27 (01-26-2012),  frankzaman (01-27-2012),  hpjrt (01-26-2012),  jamesjmunro (01-27-2012),  johnwfrancis (01-26-2012),  mister160 (01-27-2012),  O-Cilfa (01-28-2012),  PatrickMJS (01-26-2012),  Snap51 (01-27-2012) 
  9. BrizzadMan's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,006 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,012 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
    It was late when I posted this last night. Now for details. Did you really think I would leave there without subjecting them to an inquisition? I asked the doc that was attending me and the summary of which was ; they had decided to try going as paperless as possible to streamline their system and integrate records. They started with a PB, an iPad and a Galaxy Tab 8.9. After everyone trying them out, they chose the PB. The iPad was out first mainly do to size, but later it turned out they had another reason. Between the Galaxy and PB, they preferred the PBs UI over Android and some operational issues. She also said that some of the staff had a tendency to not close out processes and when the Galaxy started getting weird (her word) they realized what was going on, but also noticed the PB wasn't as affected. The PB fits in their smock pockets, very convenient. Bridging and security were issues, as they have a third party contractor for record keeping and can directly send sensitive data directly and securely from the PB, skipping another record keeping step.

    She said eventually all patient encounters would involve a PB and then upon the end of the visit, the info would be sent directly to the station, billing and records. New appointments were made on the spot.

    She seemed very proud of their decision and happy with it so far. I'll keep tabs on them and see how it progresses.
    Thanks for sharing. PlayBook may not suit the needs for some, though it certainly does for others. This is a good example of where the 7" form factor, and 'stability' of the PlayBook OS put it ahead of the competition - irregardless of application selection, etc.
  10. #10  

    Default

    Did they use special/custom apps to do the recording keeping and transmittal?

    I do have to admit, when Tivo is not skipping commercials, some of the ipad/apps commercials can be quite magical and mesmerizing. Now whether they work as well as they appear is another story. I know I would not like to eat the 'ice cream' that appears in commercials but it looks great.
  11. azrin640's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    162 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    The main apps called HIS (Hospital Information System) such as used in clinics and hospitals can easily converted to run on QNX since it is usually based on HTML5. No adjustment needed.

    So the hospital converted the application to run on playbook which is connected to their server.

    If I am not mistaken a few company like the insurance company and a lot more did this, also I see the future in its usage.
    Thanked by 2:
    jamesjmunro (01-27-2012),  Snap51 (01-27-2012) 
    kmiller94 likes this.
  12. pkcable's Avatar


    Posts
    28,659 Posts
    Global Posts
    33,346 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!
    #12  

    Default

    Don't forget CB is a......

    Thanked by 4:
    farskija (01-26-2012),  jafobabe (01-26-2012),  O-Cilfa (01-28-2012),  scott.slater (01-27-2012) 
  13. ccdawg's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    232 Posts
    PIN
    pm me
    #13  

    Default

    cool story
  14. Hockey_Fan10's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    37 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Cool story, bro.
  15. hpjrt's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,033 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    I wanted to bump this so that it doesn't get missed.
    Posted using my 32 gig Playbook - and 9 times out of 10, my new BB OEM mini keyboard
  16. r0v3rT3N's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,876 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,882 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hpjrt View Post
    I wanted to bump this so that it doesn't get missed.
    Your a good man, a very good man!
    Check out my app: CChecker
  17. kritikal's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    I'm actually working on an app for a private medical clinic that will be used for their patients' yearly checkup.

    I've already done a few tests with them and so far they're loving what it can do and how they can do things much more efficiently so they're already planning on adding more apps.

    They have 5 PlayBooks so far but I know they'll be getting more!
  18. r0v3rT3N's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,876 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,882 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sergeh View Post
    I'm actually working on an app for a private medical clinic that will be used for their patients' yearly checkup.

    I've already done a few tests with them and so far they're loving what it can do and how they can do things much more efficiently so they're already planning on adding more apps.

    They have 5 PlayBooks so far but I know they'll be getting more!
    Thats a very good idea!

    P.S THIS IS MY 500th POST!
    Check out my app: CChecker
  19. TinRobot's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    136 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ridemaster View Post
    i love reading stuff like this, and the word workhorse is spot on.

    apple has completely brainwashed ppl, they spend tons of money on advertising. yet when you break it down to the actual apple product in your hands the bb/pb is far superior of a product.

    i know i went on a tangent but i needed to vent.
    As one who loves a Mac computer and an iPod, I must admit that I agree. Many people go too fanboy and can't see anything else as a better tool. My Mac died a couple yrs ago and my ipod sits cold and lonely in a drawer, a Win7 PC and my PB get all the lovin' now.

    There are many people out there who are not fooled by the adverts and their friend's choices. Spread the word!
    Snap51 and rotorwrench like this.
  20. farskija's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    295 Posts
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Thanks Roto! Glad this thread was cleaned up.
    Thanked by:
    rotorwrench (01-26-2012) 
    CDM76 likes this.
  21. hpjrt's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,033 Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by r0v3rT3N View Post
    Thats a very good idea!

    P.S THIS IS MY 500th POST!
    OT: Congratulations r0v3rT3N!

    PS ... I'm a woman but appreciate the vote of confidence above.
    Posted using my 32 gig Playbook - and 9 times out of 10, my new BB OEM mini keyboard
  22. anthogag's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,101 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default

    The playbook is the right size for professionals

    I'm thinking once OS2 with native PIM is out business will show a strong interest in the playbook

    And I speculate business will love the more powerful 3G+ playbook coming out in April
    Snap51 and rotorwrench like this.
  23. rotorwrench's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,995 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,001 Global Posts
    PIN
    Forget it
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    Did they use special/custom apps to do the recording keeping and transmittal?

    I do have to admit, when Tivo is not skipping commercials, some of the ipad/apps commercials can be quite magical and mesmerizing. Now whether they work as well as they appear is another story. I know I would not like to eat the 'ice cream' that appears in commercials but it looks great.
    I honestly don't know if they were using custom apps or not. But from what some of the functions they were using the PB for, there were definitely some apps you won't find in App World.
    If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
  24. III 4U2NV III's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    697 Posts
    #24  

    Default

    This is awesome!
  25. Techno-Emigre's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    525 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    One or two vids were posted on CB soon after the PB was released showing how medical clinics and hospitals use it. They are excellent and might provide some ideas for your Drs. if you show it to them (on your PB of course). I don't have the link, but I think it would be easy to find.

    I can't wait for OS2. It is going to really enhance my professional abilities. Not to mention my image LOL!
    Thanked by 2:
    rotorwrench (01-27-2012),  Snap51 (01-27-2012) 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions