Whether individual users had problems with the 668 update or not - The Real Problem with the update is the lack of any information or statement from Rim regarding the situation.

No excuse. None.

It shows an utter contempt for their users.
    08-06-12 03:04 PM
    They actually posted on their website not to update, but downgrade to .358 .
    They didnt gave me more information..
    08-06-12 03:19 PM
    Whether individual users had problems with the 668 update or not - The Real Problem with the update is the lack of any information or statement from Rim regarding the situation.

No excuse. None.

It shows an utter contempt for their users.
    Yes outrageous, however the programmers have to figure out the problem and since .668 works on their pb's they will be grabbing a pb where the problem exists. I would expect they will be putting in double time this weekend.
    08-06-12 03:30 PM
    RIM had this to say:

RIM discovered an issue with the PlayBook software 2.0.1.668 update. The update has been removed. Customers that have already successfully updated to version 2.0.1.668 are not affected and can continue using their PlayBook with the updated software.

Where did OS 2.0.1.688 for the BlackBerry PlayBook go? | CrackBerry.com

But yes, I see your point.. It's nice they gave us a reason but alas, not everyone reads CB.
    08-06-12 03:30 PM
    Did anyone try to root 2.0.1.668??

Maybe you can and that is the issue????
    08-06-12 03:33 PM
    Yes, I agree with the OP. Customer communication is non existent.

However it also exposes another problem for the software developers. If not all PBs are affected, then they are not all the same.

Try writing code for that scenario.
    jsdhornby likes this.
    08-06-12 03:47 PM
    If not all PBs are affected, then they are not all the same.

Maybe with software update, they still leave the tmp files ? Or the method of updating has affected it ?
    08-06-12 03:54 PM
    RIM had this to say:

RIM discovered an issue with the PlayBook software 2.0.1.668 update. The update has been removed. Customers that have already successfully updated to version 2.0.1.668 are not affected and can continue using their PlayBook with the updated software.

Where did OS 2.0.1.688 for the BlackBerry PlayBook go? | CrackBerry.com

But yes, I see your point.. It's nice they gave us a reason but alas, not everyone reads CB.

RIM did NOT discover the issue. Users did.

The statement, 'Customers that have already successfully updated to version 2.0.1.668 are not affected and can continue using their PlayBook with the updated software' is beyond belief. What are they trying to say?, that those who updated are ok but those that didn't would have been the ones that would have had problems? Is the single most absurd statement that RIM have ever come out with.
    dave1701 and rcm1301 like this.
    08-06-12 04:29 PM
    The part I don't understand is where it says that whoever already updated will not be affected, yet there IS something wrong with the update and therefore had to be pulled. And somewhere else on their site even state to recommend downgrading to previous bulid. WTF is that supposed mean??? Either it's fine or it isn't!!!
    What a BULL!
    polytan02, rcm1301, FF22 and 2 others like this.
    08-06-12 04:30 PM
    The part I don't understand is where it says that whoever already updated will not be affected, yet there IS something wrong with the update and therefore had to be pulled. And somewhere else on their site even state to recommend downgrading to previous bulid. WTF is that supposed mean??? Either it's fine or it isn't!!!
    What a BULL!
    It probably means the update didn't have consistent results. It doesn't mean playbooks that successfully upgraded have problems. By successfully upgraded, they mean without issues. There must have been a surplus of people who had issues post upgrade. I personally have never had any issues ever.
    9of13 likes this.
    08-06-12 04:47 PM
    According to Michael Clewley, RIM's product manager for the Playbook, the only reason why they pulled 2.0.1.668 was due to upgrading problems for Playbook with 1.0.7.

Michael Clewley (MichaelClewley) on Twitter
    sagec likes this.
    08-06-12 05:12 PM
    It probably means the update didn't have consistent results. It doesn't mean playbooks that successfully upgraded have problems. By successfully upgraded, they mean without issues. There must have been a surplus of people who had issues post upgrade. I personally have never had any issues ever.
    That is the whole point. They should clearly explain what is going on.

'It probably means' or 'There must have been' is conjecture.

They still haven't changed the main support page for os updates which is the place to
    start. It still shows the latest update as... 2.01.688

Astonishingly, mind bogglingly amateurish.
    FF22, JeepBB and rickgainsmith like this.
    08-06-12 05:25 PM
    Michael is being a little corporate lying weasel, and why might he be lying, because within the first few hours of my updating I noticed my machine was running red hot, so I immediately set about reversing the update, many have not.

I have also noticed a large increase, seems very large, in PB Owners freaking out about how after many months of worry free usage, they are all of a sudden stuck with PB's that have either run out of juice and stopped working, or simply stopped working outright with no LED or anything to let them know whats wrong.

It is my opinion that .668 has been a very destructive update that has led many non tech savvy users to update and proceed business as usual without knowing their Tablets are being ruined by overheating and battery drain.

If he admitted the truth, they may well have to replace a rather large number of Playbooks at their cost.
    08-06-12 05:37 PM
    It is long weekend in Canada --- people are up in their cottages.
    08-06-12 05:38 PM
    Michael is being a little corporate lying weasel, and why might he be lying, because within the first few hours of my updating I noticed my machine was running red hot, so I immediately set about reversing the update, many have not.

I have also noticed a large increase, seems very large, in PB Owners freaking out about how after many months of worry free usage, they are all of a sudden stuck with PB's that have either run out of juice and stopped working, or simply stopped working outright with no LED or anything to let them know whats wrong.

It is my opinion that .668 has been a very destructive update that has led many non tech savvy users to update and proceed business as usual without knowing their Tablets are being ruined by overheating and battery drain.

If he admitted the truth, they may well have to replace a rather large number of Playbooks at their cost.
    It will always run hot after every OS update for the first few hours --- the Playbook maybe rebuilding the email database and generally doing a lot of background stuff after the OS update (like deleting the installation files). It is truly idiotic to claim such and such being worse just on the first few hours of an OS update.

People freak out for nothing. People have complained about their Playbook's wifi dying after a particular OS update --- even when we had pointed out in the past that the wifi driver was not updated at all for that particular OS update. The answer would be --- the wifi router changed the wifi channel and got RF interference for that new wifi channel.
    08-06-12 05:46 PM
    Yes, I agree with the OP. Customer communication is non existent.

However it also exposes another problem for the software developers. If not all PBs are affected, then they are not all the same.

Mine update works great. Make it works the way it suppose to!

It is a public holiday in Canada today (the 6th). Wonder if any chance that they don't want to leave the upgrade .668 on the server over the long weekend, afraid it might get overloaded and no one there to look after it, which will cause a big headache.

Have to see if it comes back tomorrow. Just a guess.
    jsdhornby likes this.
    08-06-12 05:50 PM
    That is the whole point. They should clearly explain what is going on.

'It probably means' or 'There must have been' is conjecture.

They still haven't changed the main support page for os updates which is the place to
    start. It still shows the latest update as... 2.01.688

Astonishingly, mind bogglingly amateurish.
    It is a long weekend in Canada. May be they don't want to leave the update server unattended. Pulling it off for the weekend, hoping no one will notice???
    08-06-12 05:54 PM
    17 word Tweet from the Playbook product manager 'explaining' this fiasco.
    No other problems than upgrade problems with v1.07.
    Let me ponder that. Ok... I've absorbed it.
    Unless you are on 1.07...Ignore any problems. No Need to worry! The Playbook Product Manager said so!

Rims future is assured.
    jsdhornby and mnhockeycoach99 like this.
    08-06-12 05:56 PM
    I noticed my machine was running red hot, so I immediately set about reversing the update, many have not.
    Red hot eh.

My PB64 is perfect after the upgrade to .668.

You should use a infrared thermometer to check the temperature. That way you can quote a number and not just 'red hot', 'white hot' etc... lol

Wouldn't it be funny if the reason for pulling was the update server has crashed and no one there this long weekend to reboot it. Could that be a possibility?
    mnhockeycoach99 likes this.
    08-06-12 05:58 PM
    It's a long weekend --- it's not about "hoping no one will notice".

This is about a skeleton critical staff manning the company during a long weekend and they are not the supporting staff updating websites.
    08-06-12 05:59 PM
    17 word Tweet from the Playbook product manager 'explaining' this fiasco.
    No other problems than upgrade problems with v1.07.
    Let me ponder that. Ok... I've absorbed it.
    Unless you are on 1.07...Ignore any problems. No Need to worry! The Playbook Product Manager said so!

Rims future is assured.
    How many times do I have to say --- it's a public holiday today in Canada.

These people don't even have a summer vacation this year --- and all they have is this 3 day long weekend.
    08-06-12 06:02 PM
    I have had no problems with the update. With that being said I have noticed to changes positive or negative. Kinda of like drinking room temperature water it doesn't do anything.
    08-06-12 06:03 PM
    I was down at the beach and met the rim programmer who told me to tell jomamasan not to worry. The O/S will get fixed.
    mnhockeycoach99 likes this.
    08-06-12 06:09 PM
    I understand now! They were taking the weekend off. Maybe they should have done what every multi-national tech company does when they post an update then takes a holiday. Put up a sign on the support page that says 'Goin Fishin!'
    08-06-12 06:28 PM
    I upgraded to the OS update with no problems. The one thing I have noticed is my wi-fi signal went from 2-3 bars to a constant 4 bars! I do not know if the upgrade had anything to do with it, as nothing was changed except the OS upgrade, but I am very happy with the upgrade!
    mnhockeycoach99 and Stewartj1 like this.
    08-06-12 06:55 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD