Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Ready for PlayBook

I'm ready for the PlayBook now! Considering a Galaxy Tab as opposed to the iSad device. Really like the smaller size of the PB and GT devices. Want an e-reader, e-mail, web surfing, ability to manipulate MS Office products and a few game apps to while away the time in airports and on long flights.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    10,012 Global Posts

I'm with you!
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    Banned

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix Man View Post
    I'm ready for the PlayBook now! Considering a Galaxy Tab as opposed to the iSad device. Really like the smaller size of the PB and GT devices. Want an e-reader, e-mail, web surfing, ability to manipulate MS Office products and a few game apps to while away the time in airports and on long flights.
    I got the Tab on Friday and really liking it. It does all that you mentioned above plus. Web sites render without any problems even video feeds, unlike RIM, where I was accustomed to hit or miss. Mine is the Sprint version and I bought it without a contract, so it is using Wi-fi only. I don't think the PB is going to do a better job considering RIM's track record. I will use the Tab and if I don't like it for any reason at least I have 30 days to return it. Give it a go and let us know what you think, you have nothing to loose. So far I may not be returning mine, it is doing a great job. The PB will be a big disappointment for a lot of people I think, if it is ever released that is.
    Banned

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts

I forgot to state that the choice of apps is insane and thousands are free. You know how on TV you see apps for IPhone and Android, well................. The Tab syncs with Microsoft products so no problems there. The multimedia experience has been unbelievable so far, it has flash 10.1 pre-installed and I installed Adobe reader(free) and can open PDF documents. It also syncs with Itunes if you have music there. I can't complain so far. Oh, and apps can be stored and, RUN, from the sd card.
    Last edited by grncherry1; 12-21-2010 at 09:12 AM.

Global Posts
    10,012 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grncherry1 View Post
    I got the Tab on Friday and really liking it. It does all that you mentioned above plus. Web sites render without any problems even video feeds, unlike RIM, where I was accustomed to hit or miss. Mine is the Sprint version and I bought it without a contract, so it is using Wi-fi only. I don't think the PB is going to do a better job considering RIM's track record. I will use the Tab and if I don't like it for any reason at least I have 30 days to return it. Give it a go and let us know what you think, you have nothing to loose. So far I may not be returning mine, it is doing a great job. The PB will be a big disappointment for a lot of people I think, if it is ever released that is.
    I liked the PB too, but since the past is as good indicator of the future, I'm not willing to get the Tab with an "early" version of Android, when 2.3 and 3.0 may not roll out for that device in a timely fashion, following the general release. Despite claims (and counter-claims) about fragmentation not being an issue, I still consider it for my purchasing decisions.
    I love the form factor and the screen was quite nice. Not world class/cutting edge, but nice enough. However, I'm too intrigued by the PB's specs and QNX, to jump on some other tablet. I'll wait til I can kick the PB's tires, before deciding.

Why do you think the PB will be "a disappointment for a lot of people"?
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    Banned

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    I liked the PB too, but since the past is as good indicator of the future, I'm not willing to get the Tab with an "early" version of Android, when 2.3 and 3.0 may not roll out for that device in a timely fashion, following the general release. Despite claims (and counter-claims) about fragmentation not being an issue, I still consider it for my purchasing decisions.
    I love the form factor and the screen was quite nice. Not world class/cutting edge, but nice enough. However, I'm too intrigued by the PB's specs and QNX, to jump on some other tablet. I'll wait til I can kick the PB's tires, before deciding.

Why do you think the PB will be "a disappointment for a lot of people"?
    The apps(multimedia) will never be there. RIM's security will never allow it to be open(jailbroken), this first batch of Tabs has the phone hardware so it is just a matter of time before that is unlocked. There is nothing that I consider ground-breaking about the PB and RIM will put out updates when they feel like it. There are roms for Droids all the time. It's like the Geico commercial "A bird in the hand beats two in the bush". I don't see the PB being released in March either.

Global Posts
    10,012 Global Posts

The apps(multimedia) will never be there. RIM's security will never allow it to be open(jailbroken), this first batch of Tabs has the phone hardware so it is just a matter of time before that is unlocked. There is nothing that I consider ground-breaking about the PB and RIM will put out updates when they feel like it. There are roms for Droids all the time. It's like the Geico commercial "A bird in the hand beats two in the bush". I don't see the PB being released in March either.
    You don't REALLY know how well (or poorly) app developers will support the nascent PB platform. I'm willing to wait to see how it all shakes out in the next few months.
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    Banned

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts

You don't REALLY know how well (or poorly) app developers will support the nascent PB platform. I'm willing to wait to see how it all shakes out in the next few months.
    True, I was just voicing my thoughts on it. I will say I was in a Verizon store today and the Droids were standing room only. Not one person was at the BB display, I would consider that an indication of RIM's future for a couple of years at least. The Android system just does what the average consumer wants and does it well.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Ball Wizard!!!

True, I was just voicing my thoughts on it. I will say I was in a Verizon store today and the Droids were standing room only. Not one person was at the BB display, I would consider that an indication of RIM's future for a couple of years at least. The Android system just does what the average consumer wants and does it well.
    I won't argue that the Android platform isn't superb. It is superb. But I fail to see how that shows that RIM is incapable of producing a quality product in the near future....

And you seem to think that the number of people ogling the Android phones at one store for one company is indicative of the near future of the smartphone market? Really? Do you remember what happens to most kids toys in the few days and weeks following christmas? The shine wears off.

Android is good. Very good. I just helped my dad buy a few Android tablets as Christmas gifts for family members. They are loads of fun and have a lot of features. But I think RIM is going to surprise a lot of people by coming out with an OS platform that rivals Android and iOS. Not because I have that much faith in RIM. But because if they want to stay in the game, that is what they HAVE to do. And they KNOW it.
    Peace is more than just the absence of conflict......
    If you find yourself arguing with me, don't worry. It happens to everybody.
    Banned

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adambigge View Post
    I won't argue that the Android platform isn't superb. It is superb. But I fail to see how that shows that RIM is incapable of producing a quality product in the near future....

And you seem to think that the number of people ogling the Android phones at one store for one company is indicative of the near future of the smartphone market? Really? Do you remember what happens to most kids toys in the few days and weeks following christmas? The shine wears off.

Android is good. Very good. I just helped my dad buy a few Android tablets as Christmas gifts for family members. They are loads of fun and have a lot of features. But I think RIM is going to surprise a lot of people by coming out with an OS platform that rivals Android and iOS. Not because I have that much faith in RIM. But because if they want to stay in the game, that is what they HAVE to do. And they KNOW it.
    It will all come out in the wash. I'm not a fanboi of either one, so could really care less. Just noting that brand loyalty went out the window a long time ago. Consumers buy what is right for them at the time they are ready to purchase. Doesn't make sense to me to sit and wait for something that may never happen. If one waits for something that may or may not be better in the future the electronics industry would grind to a halt and nobody would buy anything. There will always be a latest and greatest. As for RIM, they aren't going to produce anything better than these other companies that they are trying to catch up with. RIM isn't anymore in touch than the next business. Matter of fact, they are less so. If they were so forward thinking, they wouldn't be playing the catch-up game in the first place.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Ball Wizard!!!

Consumers buy what is right for them at the time they are ready to purchase.
    Agreed
    Doesn't make sense to me to sit and wait for something that may never happen. If one waits for something that may or may not be better in the future the electronics industry would grind to a halt and nobody would buy anything.
    Also agreed but there is something to be said for patience. The obsession with instant gratification is what causes market volatility. If more people were patient and did research they would find products that better suited them and this would lead to companies developing more revolutionary devices in order to pull customers from their current choices. Look at all the people that jumped on the Storm 1. I warned my friends and family to wait until the 2nd gen of hardware. They didn't listen. They got shafted. I waited, and while it isn't on par with the newest devices out there, my Storm2 is a very capable device that I am glad I purchased. Which is why I will be patient and wait for PB and see if it is for me. Then I will wait to see if the 1st gen of hardware pans out. If it does, good. If not, then I will find something else.
    As for RIM, they aren't going to produce anything better than these other companies that they are trying to catch up with. RIM isn't anymore in touch than the next business. Matter of fact, they are less so. If they were so forward thinking, they wouldn't be playing the catch-up game in the first place.
    I still don't understand where this idea that a company is incapable of doing something comes from. (unless you have inside information about the mobile electronics industry that no one else does) All companies go through growth and idle periods. Some more, some less. But what goes around comes around. Any of the major players are capable of creating a paradigm shifting device/platform.

There were people who once said that apple would never be a major contender in the mobile device market. Too expensive, to restricted, not enough marketshare, too small a company, out of touch, etc..... Well it took them nearly a decade but they finally got their iPhone made and it has been a revolutionary device.

Innovation isn't exclusive to one company/industry or the other. It is just a matter of enough pressure being brought to bear to inspire the eggheads to really shine. But I guess we will eventually see what we will see.
    Peace is more than just the absence of conflict......
    If you find yourself arguing with me, don't worry. It happens to everybody.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Does anyone even know what this icon means?

Quote Originally Posted by adambigge View Post

Thank you. Very well said. When was the last time VZW had a new BB? That's why people are lined up for other devices... they're still (relatively) new and that's what people want... the latest and greatest. I bet the line would have been just as long for a RIM tablet or phone as it was for the Tab and iPad and whatever the flavor of the month Android phone is.
    PlayBook running 2.1.0.1032 - 9850 running 7.1.0.580! FOR NOW...

PLEASE HELP ME HELP KIDS WITH CANCER!!!
    Banned

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drjay868 View Post
    Thank you. Very well said. When was the last time VZW had a new BB? That's why people are lined up for other devices... they're still (relatively) new and that's what people want... the latest and greatest. I bet the line would have been just as long for a RIM tablet or phone as it was for the Tab and iPad and whatever the flavor of the month Android phone is.
    Absolutely, RIM had the mindset that they were going to sell what they thought the consumer needed( their opinion) not what the consumer wanted. In business it doesn't work that way. Parents are the only people that get away with that view.

Global Posts
    10,012 Global Posts

Absolutely, RIM had the mindset that they were going to sell what they thought the consumer needed( their opinion) not what the consumer wanted. In business it doesn't work that way. Parents are the only people that get away with that view.
    You didn't really just say that did you?? How about pondering Apple's arrogant ways in bringing new products to market. They don't do focus groups, or even consider the ideas of their top engineers and designers. Apple produces what ONE MAN wants--nothing more and nothing less. And they are very successful in doing so, despite my (and others') unhappiness with that attitude of "we (read: Herr Jobs) know what best for you". Things like "no Flash", "no Blu-ray", etc, etc.
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    Banned

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts

You didn't really just say that did you?? How about pondering Apple's arrogant ways in bringing new products to market. They don't do focus groups, or even consider the ideas of their top engineers and designers. Apple produces what ONE MAN wants--nothing more and nothing less. And they are very successful in doing so, despite my (and others') unhappiness with that attitude of "we (read: Herr Jobs) know what best for you". Things like "no Flash", "no Blu-ray", etc, etc.
    It boils down to how in touch one CEO's direction is as opposed to another's. The BB is fine for some businesses but as far as the general public, that is multimedia oriented, RIM lost touch. The Ipod and Ipad were revolutionary devices. Revolutionary is the operative here.
    Last edited by grncherry1; 12-22-2010 at 12:52 PM.

Global Posts
    10,012 Global Posts

It boils down to how in touch one CEO's direction is as opposed to another's. The BB is fine for some businesses but as far as the general public, that is multimedia oriented, RIM lost touch. The Ipod and Ipad were revolutionary devices. Revolutionary is the operative here.
    RIM wasn't originally targeting the "general public", so cut them a bit of slack, eh? The PB should get them back into the game. If it doesn't..well...the only RIM stock I've got would be what's in my various mutual fund holdings.
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    PIN
    N/A

RIM wasn't originally targeting the "general public", so cut them a bit of slack, eh? The PB should get them back into the game.
    And certainly, from what I've seen about the Playbook, it looks set to rock and roll. I'm getting one, then getting a BlackBerry Torch. And whoever said brand loyalty means nothing is clearly wrong when it comes to certain people. I love my BlackBerry smartphone, and I'm glad I've bought it. So much so, I'm getting a new BB smartphone as well as 2 accessories (Presenter / Audio Gateway) AND a Playbook, then giving away my old Nokia.

Global Posts
    10,012 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    And certainly, from what I've seen about the Playbook, it looks set to rock and roll. I'm getting one, then getting a BlackBerry Torch. And whoever said brand loyalty means nothing is clearly wrong when it comes to certain people. I love my BlackBerry smartphone, and I'm glad I've bought it. So much so, I'm getting a new BB smartphone as well as 2 accessories (Presenter / Audio Gateway) AND a Playbook, then giving away my old Nokia.
    As long as they don't pull another Storm fiasco, the PB should do well. Fingers crossed...
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Does anyone even know what this icon means?

I don't think you can say RIM has lost touch with the consumer market when they were never really in it to begin with. Sure, you can say that the Storm series was RIM's attempt to get into the consumer market, but IMO I think it was just their answer to try and stop the business market from leaving RIM and going to Apple for a touch screen phone for their business device. Sure, it appealed to some of us outside the business market and got RIM into the consumer market, but we weren't RIM's focus... just a plus. All the multimedia options we see on BBs and eventually the PB aren't to attract the consumer, but to make it so the business user doesn't need two devices and can actually use them for business. Its only helps to get the consumers, but isn't there for them.

Just my $.02 though.
    PlayBook running 2.1.0.1032 - 9850 running 7.1.0.580! FOR NOW...

PLEASE HELP ME HELP KIDS WITH CANCER!!!