Is this thing finally ready for prime time? I have a Storm 2 which never was ready. Numerous OS updates, the browser was never updated to Webkit/Torch as was leaked, and I had the faulty "send" button issue that was later corrected. I don't want to experience deja vu with the Playbook. I don't mean to bash BB/RIM. Prior to the Storm, my experience with RIM products was good. I tried the Playbook at Staples and the fit and finish seemed solid and the software operated nicely. Best BB experience I had so far in the short time I used the product. Still, it seems from reading threads in the forum that the Playbook may still be one or two software updates from getting the Bridge, BBM and auto correction optimized.

What do you think? Has this device moved from Beta to prime time?
    05-18-11 08:55 AM
    I don't think its primetime yet, but it is definatly not the storm 2. it is rock solid, the only thing it is missing is native e-mail. It depends on what you want to do with it as to whether or not to buy it now. not having auto correction is not that bad because for me it usually picks the wrong word, and sometimes I don't notice. I am sure it will come soon though.
    05-18-11 09:11 AM
    the Storm series is an isolated incident, if you consider the rest of the line up.
    i have the Playbook and much has happened in less than a month.
    if you want to be on the safe side, summer is the Better time to buy.
    by that time, kindle app, android app player, native email etc should be there.
    05-18-11 09:16 AM
    the Storm series is an isolated incident, if you consider the rest of the line up.
    i have the Playbook and much has happened in less than a month.
    if you want to be on the safe side, summer is the Better time to buy.
    by that time, kindle app, android app player, native email etc should be there.
    Good points. Thanks. It sounded like it needed a little more time in the oven before being served. But, I am glad to hear this isn't the Storm series. I don't know why so many people are hung up about native email? I like the Bridge concept. I hate the idea of having to delete/manage email at another location. Wifi version will be fine for me...assuming the Bridge app works well.

Thanks for responses...I will patiently wait for refinement before buying.
    05-18-11 09:32 AM
    Agree, still needs some work, but as you said, the Bridge feature is great. My Torch now can be left in another room and I can still get new email notifications and go on BBM right from my PlayBook. GPS is still a problem for some people, but keep in mind that GPS on the PB will not work like the one on your phone, as it has to have a line of site to the sats to actually work, whereas the phone relies on cel tower triangulation to help pinpoint your location.

We have had several updates so far from RIM, so the mood is very positive. I'm able to do most of the things that I need to so definitely glad I got one. My son used it this weekend to watch Revenge of the Sith on the way back from a 2 hour road trip, which in turn kept him from arguing with his sister, so I was happy about that The size, multitasking and Flash support are all strong points over the iPad, so if you value those features also, then waiting for an improved software update or not would probably be irrelevant. Good luck.
    05-18-11 09:48 AM
    Agree, still needs some work, but as you said, the Bridge feature is great. My Torch now can be left in another room and I can still get new email notifications and go on BBM right from my PlayBook. GPS is still a problem for some people, but keep in mind that GPS on the PB will not work like the one on your phone, as it has to have a line of site to the sats to actually work, whereas the phone relies on cel tower triangulation to help pinpoint your location.

We have had several updates so far from RIM, so the mood is very positive. I'm able to do most of the things that I need to so definitely glad I got one. My son used it this weekend to watch Revenge of the Sith on the way back from a 2 hour road trip, which in turn kept him from arguing with his sister, so I was happy about that The size, multitasking and Flash support are all strong points over the iPad, so if you value those features also, then waiting for an improved software update or not would probably be irrelevant. Good luck.

I tried the ipad2 and the Playbook and really like the OS on the Playbook much better. It was more engaging and fun to use than the ipad2. Plus, I hate having to push that button on the ipad to get back to the home screen. And lastly, I like the size of the Playbook. I know if I bought and ipad, it would sit at home. It is big and heavy (IMO). Playbook would allow me to bring it with me when I play guitar which I think is cool. My friends and I could look up songs and jam. I like that idea.
    05-18-11 10:09 AM
    I was a victim of the Storm too We should start a support group I think that device may had hurt RIM a bit more than it helped them, it got me in a larger touchscreen frame of mind. When it failed to do what I needed to do with the amount of glitches, as much as I liked the reliability of the front facing keyboard devices, I got spoiled with the full screen and moved to the Android platform and am now firmly placed in IOS.

With that being said, I jumped on the early Playbook bandwagon out of enjoyment of learning a new device. Yes it's early, but I enjoy the frequent Christmas presents of regular updates giving us more capabilities. It's like getting a new device more often

The Playbook hardware is primetime, the software is catching up and is EXTREMELY promising. Keep tabs in the forum here, you are certainly going to know when it is what you want it to be....or dive in now and enjoy it for what it is, and be excited for what it is going to be
    05-18-11 11:08 AM

I'm pretty sure the PB does the same thing when GPS is not available, just as the phone does. The firmware/software seems to be the source of the current PB issues.
    05-18-11 11:16 AM
    I'm pretty sure the PB does the same thing when GPS is not available, just as the phone does. The firmware/software seems to be the source of the current PB issues.
    the playbook cant use Agps as it doesnt have a carrier connection so cell tower triangulation assitance (the A in Agps) would be impossible.
    05-18-11 11:34 AM
    I'm in the same situation as you, sort of... Have an iPad2 already, but I'm looking into getting a 2nd tablet. (Wife and kids love using the iPad too, so the 2nd tablet is so I can leave the iPad at home and have something along for the trip when Im away)

I'd prefer something really portable, so I narrowed the choice down to either the Playbook, HTC Flyer, or Samsung Galaxy. All 7 inch tabs.

From the research Ive done, and reading the forums, it really doesnt look like the PB is ready for prime time, so I've decided to wait another month with the PB, and seeing how the situation is then.
    If it's not much better then, (and it doesn't look like it, at least on the app-front. Native SDK isn't coming out till autumn ) I'll prob get a 7 inch Android tab, and possibly wait for the Playbook 2, if that ever comes out.

Good news is, that if portability is important, there are allready quite a few 7inchers out there, and more are coming in the summer.

My Advice: Wait a month. If the situation is still as bad as now, at least there'll be plenty of alternatives by then.
    05-18-11 01:50 PM
    or heck buy it and try it out for a week. return it within the return period if not happy.
    05-18-11 01:55 PM
    or heck buy it and try it out for a week. return it within the return period if not happy.
    I don't want to do the buy and try it thing again. I got so hosed with the Storm 2 and buying into the hype that RIM got it right this time and this wasn't going to be the Storm 1. I appreciate your recommendation, though, but I will let the Playbook cook a little longer. Hopefully, the next software update really optimizes the hardware. I am not a big "app" user so I am not as freaked out as others about the app catalogue. I just want the hardware to do the web, videos, and email/BBM efficiently and without headaches. I don't care if I can't find a nice pinball game app.
    05-18-11 04:02 PM
    I don't want to do the buy and try it thing again. I got so hosed with the Storm 2 and buying into the hype that RIM got it right this time and this wasn't going to be the Storm 1. I appreciate your recommendation, though, but I will let the Playbook cook a little longer. Hopefully, the next software update really optimizes the hardware. I am not a big "app" user so I am not as freaked out as others about the app catalogue. I just want the hardware to do the web, videos, and email/BBM efficiently and without headaches. I don't care if I can't find a nice pinball game app.
    If those are all your requirements then yes it meets them. I think the bridge needs some work though. But I have a Tour w/OS5. I would be interested to see how the bridge works when paired to a faster phone with a newer OS.
    Last edited by southlander; 05-18-11 at 04:18 PM.
    05-18-11 04:14 PM
    I don't miss the native email at all. I can see the problem if I didn't own a BB phone. However you do own a BB phone so the email is really a non issue.
    05-18-11 04:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD