Hello,

I purchased a BlackBerry Rapid Charger for my PlayBook (from a vendor on Amazon) a few months ago. I've only just started using it and found there is no reduction in the time required for a charge (compared to my stock charger). Has anyone else experienced this? How long should it take to charge the PlayBook with a Rapid Charger? Thanks for your help!

Best,

Reg
    01-31-15 12:48 PM
    What BB are you charging? If it's a Passport or classic then it will be the same time. The rapid charger for the Playbook sends the same current to your Passport or Classic as your stock charger.

I bought a rapid charger from Amazon called 'Bright Charge' and it really makes a difference!
    01-31-15 01:28 PM
    Hello,

I purchased a BlackBerry Rapid Charger for my PlayBook (from a vendor on Amazon) a few months ago. I've only just started using it and found there is no reduction in the time required for a charge (compared to my stock charger). Has anyone else experienced this? How long should it take to charge the PlayBook with a Rapid Charger? Thanks for your help!

Best,

Reg

There is differences in charging times between the standard PB charger and the rapid charger, sometimes very small and sometimes substantial, depending on conditions. Read the thread linked below, especially post #11 by peter9477 who is the dev for BatteryGuru. It should help. I also did some fairly controlled experiments several years ago with 3 PBs I have on charging times and the largest difference I got was
    1.5hrs between the two chargers. Battery Health and age do effect the charge times on l-ion batteries as well. Hope this helps.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rently-811273/
    Carl Estes likes this.
    01-31-15 02:38 PM
    What BB are you charging? If it's a Passport or classic then it will be the same time. The rapid charger for the Playbook sends the same current to your Passport or Classic as your stock charger.

I bought a rapid charger from Amazon called 'Bright Charge' and it really makes a difference!
    I think you are confused about the chargers. The PB Rapid charger is a magnetic 3 pin charger and can't be used on any device but the PB. It is also the highest output charger BB offers. The PB standard charger is now renamed by BlackBerry as the Premium Charger, same part numbers, and according to BB can be safely used on any of their devices.

The charger that comes with the Passport is a 1300mA ([email protected]) output charger whereas the PB standard charger (BB Premium charger ) is an 1800mA ([email protected]) charger and the PB Rapid charger is 12v@2000mA(2.0A) which obviously is not the same current output. The PB standard charger would be a faster charger for the Passport as well as the Classic.

Even if the chargers all had the same output, the charge times would still be different due to the different capacities of the batteries and at what state of charge you started with.

That's why I like using the PB charger, especially when traveling. I carry one charger for my Z30 (or Q10 for work), my PB and my keyboard.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-01-15 at 01:35 AM.
    Carl Estes and retomex like this.
    01-31-15 03:32 PM
    I always turn my PlayBook off, then wait a few minutes prior to charging. These posts explain my observations perfectly. Thanks!

Reg
    02-02-15 10:43 AM
    I think my PB has only been off 4 or 5 times in the last almost 4yrs. It's pretty much perpetually on 24/7 with a battery health of 90%. Not bad.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 11:28 PM