Kwelamnp,

Thanks for your reply.
    I'm glad that you have had a positive experience with GPS on your Playbook.
    I might try the marine app. and see how that goes.
    03-26-13 12:14 AM
    ChrisMay,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.
    I'll try using it upside down (should make too much diff in using the device ;-) and see how it goes.
    03-26-13 12:17 AM
    Thanks Blackman, for your reply,

I'll try your suggestion
    03-26-13 12:19 AM
    BigBadWulf,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yes this is a rant, but it's also honest feedback on a poor implementation of an advertised product feature.
    It also lets people out there, who are having a similar issue, know that they are not alone.
    And with the replies this thread has generated, a number of solutions have been supplied.
    03-26-13 12:30 AM
    Thank you CBCListener,
    I don't have the PB to hand, but I will check it's most recent update.
    03-26-13 12:32 AM
    Itis common knowledge that the playbook's gps feature leaves a lot to be desired but I think that you're exaggerating a bit. I have 2 playbooks and both get a fix in under 2 minutes .
    StanWiz,
    It's always good to hear that people can have positive experiences. It can give others hope.
    03-26-13 12:34 AM
    From my experience, if you don't look for help where you're posting, and your intent is only to deter others from purchasing the product, well......

I'll give you benefit of doubt, as our fine members have, assume you're just making this thread out of frustration, and are willing to listen/follow the advice given. Maybe we in the CrackBerry community can turn this thread around. Surely you have some good things to share about the PlayBook, and we some wisdom to share with you.
    Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt.
    All in all, I like the PB. Which is why I'm so frustrated about this issue.
    Otherwise I'd just return it and buy an Android device.

As I've mentioned elsewhere in this thread, what I have found MOST frustrating is RIM's response to this issue.
    The bottom line is that after hours of phone calls and many e-mails with RIM, they have provided two responses:
    1. The problem is with the OS. It is a known problem and will be addressed in a future OS upgrade. We have no timeline on when a fix will be integrated in a future OS upgrade.
    2. The device can be returned for repair (RMA), but we cannot assure you that the problem will be resolved.

Both these responses came from RIM. How can I recommend a product from a company who has this sort of response to a valid issue?
    If there is a problem with one of their products, RIM have indicated that they will not take responsibility for resolving the issue.
    This is why I recommended against purchasing this product for the purpose of a GPS.
    Last edited by ihatelogitech; 03-26-13 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Missed another word.
    03-26-13 12:49 AM
    If the unit in question doesn't have the most recent update (1526) then that might be a reason...the earlier versions weren't great in the GPS area, from what I've seen. I mention it to eliminate all possibilities...but I would think that the PB would be yammering repeatedly to take the update.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I just checked. The OS is up to date.
    03-26-13 11:27 PM
    With wifi on (it makes a BIG difference) my PB gets a gps fix within two minutes inside my house next to a window. Similarly, it took about two minutes for MapSearch to find my. MapsFree, an android map app, took several minutes just to load, after which I gave up on it. I have little patience for time-wasting apps. MapApp also took about a minute.

My android phone, using any of several map apps, found me either instantly or within five seconds.

The difference between the two is the android phone has assisted GPS, Playbook does not. I didn't compare them without wifi this time, but my experience with Playbook without wifi is not good (most times I gave up after long waits), while the phone connects after a couple of minutes. I tried them both frequently (without wifi) on a trip to India last fall and always ended up using the phone despite the much smaller screen. So what does that tell you.
    03-27-13 01:15 AM
    From lock screen to GPS lock in under 10 seconds. In Google Maps. On my PB. Every. Single. Time.

Note: True even after a cold boot.

I wish my various Android tabs were this reliable...

RCK
    03-27-13 03:59 AM
    What about everyone's thoughts on a GPS antenna hack to improve reception? I've been inside my PB, it doesn't look like it would be hard to do.....
    03-27-13 11:52 AM
    Thread revival time!!!!

After owning my PB 3G 64MB for several years and totally giving up any hope of getting the GPS feature to work I can report that after downloading the Dandandin GPS test app from BB World and running it, WHAMMO!!! I finally have access to Bing maps flawlessly displaying my position even in my basement with seconds!! All I can guess is that perhaps my GPS function wasn't turned on/active from day one??? Dunno but everyone with issues should download this app to see if this fixes them. Thanks Crackberry World, as always...you guys ROCK!!!

EDIT: The Bing maps feature NEEDS a WiFi connection to work period!!! Tried several times and will not open without and active WiFi connection
    Last edited by Paullybob; 09-11-13 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Addition info
    FF22 likes this.
    09-11-13 08:15 AM
    Anyone knows what version of android google maps works the best on the playbook?
    01-18-14 11:41 AM
    Anyone knows what version of android google maps works the best on the playbook?
    01-18-14 11:49 AM
39 12