I really don't get the battery life complaint. Maybe not a "power user", but I think the Playbook has great battery life. Then again I'm not running two videos and playing a game whilst web surfing at the same time for hours on end...
    I never got the battery thing or the power button thing either.

One thing that is a novel though is that the QNX PB has the fastest restart I've ever seen. And call me crazy but I swear the OS is adaptive.
    05-27-11 08:07 PM
    You really should forward this to RIMM. Then this might be useful.
    05-27-11 08:16 PM
    Come on guys dont rip him up. Its a rant He is a loyal customer of bb. I bought mine based on hardware specs and im hoping for the best. Its no ipad and thats a good thing. This is my first blackberry product and so far Im impressed. Again if you want something like an ipad, go buy an ipad. This will be a better product Im sure. Blackberry isnt Apple. Give it some time.
    05-27-11 08:37 PM
    I don't think anyone is going to claim that the PlayBook is flawless, but I think some people are expecting too much of a first generation machine, barely a month into its life cycle.

I have found that the screen and the browser are excellent. I've never had trouble with touch sensitivity, and find the word processor to be functional (alas the PB will not completely replace my laptop until docs to go manages to duplicate Word, but D2G is fine for editing and light composing). I've found that having both wifi and Bluetooth turned on is brutal on the battery for both my Bold (9780) and the PlayBook. As such, I keep Bluetooth turned off unless I actively need it. I've also found that battery life improved pretty dramatically after conditioning.

On the negative side, I would desperately like to have autocorrect on the PB, I would lime to have arrow buttons, as most in this thread (another option that would work, imo, is the blue tab in docs to go that allows you to drag the cursor to the desired location). I would like to see more developer support, but I believe it will come. In addition, the PB needs more functional e-book and .pdf readers.

Ultimately, the PlayBook is a work in progress, and anyone who buys one expecting to get an iPad will be disappointed, the same way someone buying a Torch in hopes of getting an iPhone will be. They're different devices with a different focus and interface. I think the OP may really be better off with an iPad in the short term. Give RIM a chance to polish the PlayBook, and i expect you'll find it a better business tool than its competitors, but it's certainly not there yet in some specific and glaring ways.
    05-27-11 08:50 PM
    I don't think anyone is going to claim that the PlayBook is flawless, but I think some people are expecting too much of a first generation machine, barely a month into its life cycle.
    What I don't get is why they bought it so early in the lifecycle with pretty much all of the major issues as a pre-existing KNOWN factor before the release...

Either they didn't do even the simplest kind of research whatsoever and just bought blindly, or they are incredibly impatient and hop to the next thing at any given whim in a short time period. Find a reason to be unhappy so you can go buy something new again.

I'm leaning towards that a majority are the latter...
    05-27-11 08:55 PM
    .......with pretty much all of the major issues as a pre-existing KNOWN factor before the release...

Either they didn't do even the simplest kind of research whatsoever .......
    Just to be clear - I love my PB, I have no intention or returning it, I am waiting patiently for it to improve, and I only hit the update button a few times a day.

That said, I'm tired of hearing how we should have known what we were buying into. Cut the guy some slack. Many of us pre-ordered our Playbooks. How many of you knew at the time that the GPS wasn't going to work? We only found out that Skype wasn't going to be on the PB about 2 weeks before it shipped, long after many of us pre-ordered. And when exactly did we find out that the Kindle app wasn't going to be there? Remember about the time we pre-ordered, all the chatter on the forum about how we didn't need a Netflix app because we could just use the browser. And I suppose we should have "done our research" and figured out that AT&T would pull the bridge app the night before delivery. Oh, and I'm sure it was well documented months in advance that if you wanted to stream Pandora you'd have to swipe the screen every 5 minutes to keep it from going to sleep.

No, I'm not complaining about the PB. Like I said in the beginning, I love my PB. But please quit hammering on folks about not doing their due diligence. Many of these shortcomings were simply not know in advance.
    05-27-11 09:29 PM
    I could go on and on about how a lot of what you posted was assumptions by users who based poor assumptions based on nothing (such as Netflix) but im not going to bother.

You are adults, its your money so you are responsible regardless. Any preorders can be canceled up to shipment so cry me a river

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-11 09:56 PM
    What I don't get is why they bought it so early in the lifecycle with pretty much all of the major issues as a pre-existing KNOWN factor before the release...

Either they didn't do even the simplest kind of research whatsoever and just bought blindly, or they are incredibly impatient and hop to the next thing at any given whim in a short time period. Find a reason to be unhappy so you can go buy something new again.

I'm leaning towards that a majority are the latter...
    Thank you - thats exactly how I feel about these threads. Like I said in another thread - there was only 1 surprise for me when I got my device, and that was at&t not supporting bridge (which the folks at crackberry were able to hurdle). Other than that....no other surprises.
    05-27-11 10:17 PM
    Right, and AT&T is an external dependency. I doubt RIM knew what they were going to do to bridging ahead of time either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-11 11:59 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD