Greetings All!

[Adding answers and results in brown]

Well, I managed to snag a 64 GB Playbook at my Office Depot for $149 and, all in all, it's a nifty device. Responsive and well built. All the basic setup was done without issue, setup on networks, bridged with my 9930 and even installed the Android Kindle software.

My only negative comment is that I expected the bridge connection to be as complete of an email system as on my 9930. For example, is it possible to save an received attachment to my device?

Also, can I turn off automatic viewing of images? I drag down from the top and the only option I see is Email Font Size.

I have a company email on BES, personal emails on a hosted server as well as the usual suspects of GMail and Yahoo. Is Bridge really the way to go here or should I use the email accounts natively? So far, sticking with the bridge

Another question is whether I can create additional file folders beyond Pictures, Video, Music and Documents? Heck, even creating a folder under each would be helpful! I used the WiFi access and created folders from my computer. Worked perfectly!

One example of the differences between BB OS7 and PB OS 2.1 is that I can look at a picture I just took and from the menu, send it to an email. Am I just overlooking something that is hiding a whole slew of capabilities? Looking at using Android camera for this and perhaps another application for other pictures that were already stored.

I also have a couple of Android tablets and they are fine. Just like most things, be it cars or computers, each has their own advantages and attributes that appeal to different customer bases.

One thing I do miss is using some basic gestures for "Back" in the browser. Has anyone run across an app that might extend the functionality of the supplied browser, which aside from this, seems to work well.

While on the browser, does anyone use iHeart Radio via the PlayBook Browser? I tried a few other on line radio sites and they seemed to work but the iHeart site shows the song that is playing but I hear no audio. Just a curiosity.

Observation: One thing I did find interesting is that various texts said the sideloaded Skype cannot access the cameras and yet I looked at an Android expense application that let me take a picture of a receipt. I may try to track a Skype bin down and see if it happens to work, but for me, it's not the end of the world. Not even going to bother.

I didn't realize the PlayBook had a GPS, so that was a pleasant surprise. I've searched to see if there were a Garmin-like navigation software package but I haven't run across one for the United States. Are there recommended applications that I have overlooked. Going to look at Osmand.

Regarding AppWorld, am I just missing this but is there not a way to see PlayBook screen shots "full screen" before buying? Cannot.

Now to find a Mille Bornes game!

Anyhow, those are my initial thoughts, observations and questions I am still pondering. If anyone has any input, thoughts or suggest where and how to look for some of this information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheerios!

Dan
    Last edited by bull_thumper; 11-15-12 at 05:43 PM.
    11-15-12 04:20 PM
    Gosh,that was a long post

My only negative comment is that I expected the bridge connection to be as complete of an email system as on my 9930. For example, is it possible to save an received attachment to my device? Also, can I turn off automatic viewing of images? I drag down from the top and the only option I see is Email Font Size.
    I guess you are talking about the native email app. Many users have dropped it in favour of the bridged email app. The received attachment can be saved. If the attachment is a .pdf, .xls, .doc it will be saved in your docs automatically when you open it.

Another question is whether I can create additional file folders beyond Pictures, Video, Music and Documents? Heck, even creating a folder under each would be helpful!
    I guess this can be done by using Airbroswer freely available in appworld (I haven't done it myself so please correct me if I am wrong)

One example of the differences between BB OS7 and PB OS 2.1 is that I can look at a picture I just took and from the menu, send it to an email. Am I just overlooking something that is hiding a whole slew of capabilities?
    Sorry there is no way around on this. It's a pain.

Observation: One thing I did find interesting is that various texts said the sideloaded Skype cannot access the cameras and yet I looked at an Android expense application that let me take a picture of a receipt. I may try to track a Skype bin down and see if it happens to work, but for me, it's not the end of the world.
    To the best of my knowledge there is no fully working Skype app.

I didn't realize the PlayBook had a GPS, so that was a pleasant surprise. I've searched to see if there were a Garmin-like navigation software package but I haven't run across one for the United States. Are there recommended applications that I have overlooked.
    Try Osmand.

Regarding AppWorld, am I just missing this but is there not a way to see PlayBook screen shots "full screen" before buying?
    Thats correct

Enjoy your PB!!!
    11-15-12 04:54 PM
    "One example of the differences between BB OS7 and PB OS 2.1 is that I can look at a picture I just took and from the menu, send it to an email. Am I just overlooking something that is hiding a whole slew of capabilities?"
    "Sorry there is no way around on this. It's a pain"

.Actually there is a way around this if you use the Android Camera app. I posted a how to in this thread- http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-748589/ Also note that you can access Android Camera a bit easier using "Quick App Manager" from app worrld rather than using Ghost Commander as I used in the how to.
    dave_h_946 likes this.
    11-15-12 05:06 PM
    Gosh,that was a long post
    I'm sorry. I suffer from run-on brain kinda like a new ice skater that hasn't learned how to stop.

I guess you are talking about the native email app. Many users have dropped it in favour of the bridged email app. The received attachment can be saved. If the attachment is a .pdf, .xls, .doc it will be saved in your docs automatically when you open it.
    How should I handle other types of attachments?

For example, I get log files in emails that I will need to open in a text editor and uploaded via FTP.

There really need to add a "Save attachment" function here. (And a SD/MicroSD card slot, too... lacking that was THE reason I didn't adopt the PlayBook earlier.)

I guess this can be done by using Airbroswer freely available in appworld (I haven't done it myself so please correct me if I am wrong)
    Ah, that's an excellent idea. Create it from the PC!

Just did that via WiFi, put a photo in a folder. Bingo! Now to figure out the navigation here!

Now why is that not in the OS itself?!

Sorry there is no way around on this. It's a pain.
    It is what it is. I hope that the OS will continue to develop to where the PB is at least equal to the phone, which is a very capable device.

To the best of my knowledge there is no fully working Skype app.
    That knowledge kept me from trying it in the first place. The camera working in the receipt gave me a glimmer of hope. That said, I do have other devices...

Try Osmand.
    Haven't seen Osmand. Will seek it out.

Thats correct
    No full screen previews. Bummer.

Enjoy your PB!!!
    Thank you and thank you for your reply!

Dan
    11-15-12 05:12 PM
    "One example of the differences between BB OS7 and PB OS 2.1 is that I can look at a picture I just took and from the menu, send it to an email. Am I just overlooking something that is hiding a whole slew of capabilities?"
    "Sorry there is no way around on this. It's a pain"

.Actually there is a way around this if you use the Android Camera app. I posted a how to in this thread- http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-748589/ Also note that you can access Android Camera a bit easier using "Quick App Manager" from app worrld rather than using Ghost Commander as I used in the how to.
    The Quick App Manager tip was very helpful. I didn't realize that much of Android was already loaded!

I tried the Gallery and send email there used the native client, not the bridge, however I will put some more time into it.

Thank you for suggesting that line.
    Last edited by bull_thumper; 11-15-12 at 05:45 PM.
    11-15-12 05:34 PM
    The only native app that recognizes SUBfolders is the Pictures/photo folder. If you create subfolders (Granmas birthday, thanksgiving, summer vacation), they will show up as ALBUMS in the picturing viewing app.

Unfortunately, docs, pdf, etc do NOT recognize your subfolders - some 3rd party apps can navigate folders (pdf reader)
    11-15-12 07:49 PM
    Files and folders or Air browser will help you with the folders.
    11-16-12 09:56 AM