Im looking at picking up a Playbook this week but before I do I just had a couple questions.

When I Bridge it to my phone I know you can bbm and check emails, but can you send and receive SMS using your Playbook when bridged too?

When your bridged and you get a new email/bbm/sms will the LED on the playbook blink red to notify you like it does on the phone?

Is there a vibrate to notify on the playbook when you recieve a email/bbm/sms?
    12-03-11 08:37 AM
    Im looking at picking up a Playbook this week but before I do I just had a couple questions.

When I Bridge it to my phone I know you can bbm and check emails, but can you send and receive SMS using your Playbook when bridged too?

When your bridged and you get a new email/bbm/sms will the LED on the playbook blink red to notify you like it does on the phone?

You cannot send nor receive SMS using ur Playbook using the bridge.

Right now the led light functions only during the on/off and charging process. However when you receive a new email,BBM message you will see a red glow on the topmost left hand corner of the PB screen indicating a new message status.

There is not a vibration mode on the PB, but you can turn the volume up so the new message, email notification sound is easily heard.

At the end some of things that you have asked for might be included in the new release of the OS upgrade in Feb.
    Nevertheless, the PB as it stands now is an excellent device....you wont regret buying it
    Last edited by anindoc; 12-03-11 at 08:57 AM.
    12-03-11 08:54 AM
    Okay, sounds good. I think I can tough it out for now. One more thing though... When you have you bridge conection how far away from the phone can you be? does it have to be beside it or can it be in my pocket while im holding the Playbook? whats the distance like?
    12-03-11 11:33 AM
    Range on BT is about 30 feet.
    12-03-11 11:35 AM
    Bridge is via Blue Tooth so you have that range to walk away from it. ive found with mine i can walk in and out of range and it connects rather seamlessly right back together. the lack of SMS bugged me at first but most of my friends are BB users so i just found i used BBM more.

one thing i hope that they put in OS 2 is the ability to use BBM groups on the PB
    12-03-11 12:25 PM

There is an app called "phone remote" that lets you view your phone screen and type on the phone from the playbook as well-- so yes you can send SMS through your phone that way , but it is wifi only for now - there will be a bluetooth version coming - I expect to see more and more features like you describe as bridge is further developed. It certainly is technically possible.

There is a "notification" on the playbook, a glowing red corner in the upper left, and also a pleasant audio tone, but there have been some syncing issues to date - I expect it will be fixed as well. Playbook is in it's infancy but lots of great things to come! You will love it but keep in mind it is a work in progress - personally I enjoy watching it transform with each free update. Big update in February.

No vibration that I know of. Unless dingleberry found it along with the blue LED.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-03-11 at 01:03 PM.
    12-03-11 12:39 PM
    I am on two floors and terraces and I never worry where my Bold is to stay bridge-connected. As Blackjack said there is PhoneRemote which gives you control of the phone (and therefore SMS in particular) from the PB.
    Although sometimes you will get notified of messages you have already seen, the red glowing corner notification is rather smart.
    I think you will find the PB is a rather smart device, and the multitasking, touching and swiping experience is pretty impressive! I have more than 2 years of tablet experience, and the PB sometimes just blow my mind how cool it is to use!
    12-03-11 01:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD