I have a question.Now that award winning eclipse based Momentics IDE is available how easy it is to port the existing codes for say IOS or Android.

I am a java developer myself, but java is OS idependent.

So what's the procedure here.You can grab your IOS C, C++ code and compile it again in Momentics IDE to build executable files??

How easy it would be to grab old code for other OS and move it over to QNX.What's the effort involved??
    09-30-11 10:38 PM
    Very easy to port Qt. Very easy to port Maemo GL ES apps.
    Very difficult to port iOS/Android. For Android, use Android Player.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    09-30-11 11:44 PM
    Anybody with access to the NDK has had to sign a non-disclosure agreement, so we can't go into much detail, but I will say this:

The amount of effort it takes to port from one platform to another depends entirely on how much you have used platform-specific features. A game written in C/C++ that uses OpenGL ES would be relatively easy to port. An IOS app that uses Cocoa Touch would be much harder. If it's written in Objective-C it would be pretty much a re-write.

Java as a language is just as OS dependant as C, C++ or ActionScript. It requirs a runtime environment, virtual machine and libraries. It's just compiled at a different moment to C/C++. So to run Java you'll need a compatible runtime, which does not yet exist on PB.

But language is never the bottleneck. Writing a compiler is easy. It's the platform-specific API framework that you use to interact with the OS, user interface, storage, network etc that's the hard part. And those are very different on each platform.

Adobe AIR, WebWorks, PhoneGap etc do a very good job of trying to give you a single API, but in doing so they often restrict access to platform-specific features, or require extra work to use those features.

By definition, the more "native" you go, the harder it is to port applications.
    peter9477 and purijagmohan like this.
    10-01-11 05:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD