Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Question about reading and battery life

Ok, so I bought a book on my playbook kobo and I'm ready to sit back and read it. I keep hearing about the short battery life on the playbook, and I'm wondering how long I can expect to read the book on my playbook before having to stop to recharge the battery? Thx
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,974 Global Posts
    PIN
    Forget it

I use my work PB through the day with wifi and bridge on, doing documents, email, browsing, manual reading, invoicing, work orders, photos etc... and leave around 18:00/19:00 with at least 40 to 50% left. I did a demo one day, performing my work functions while looping the HD demo video in the background for a couple of hours and recording it on BatteryGuru. I posted the BG screenshots and sent the files to Peter (BG developer). A solid 8/10 hrs of varied use should be obtained.

As for reading, I read almost exclusively on my PB and using my preferred blackscreen/white letters with a screen brightness setting of less than 10%. (which is more than enough with this screen style) I can go for days if that's all I'm doing with it. I have read for two hours straight while draining the battery less than 10%. That would average to over 20hrs of uninterrupted reading, which will equate to much more when broken up. The black screen/white lettering is also ideal for me in bright sunlight and virtually no screen glare on the eyes. I notice much less eye fatigue when using this screen. I use this screen on my phone also. It really stretches the battery life as the screen is one of the major drains of the battery on any tablet or phone.
    There are trolls in BlackBerry clothing among us. Report and never reply to obvious troll posts, they will die without responses from you.
    Thanked by:
    castoridae (11-23-2012) 
    castoridae likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I hope it lasts that long, it seems to me that I have to recharge every day - that doesn't sound right from what you're saying.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,974 Global Posts
    PIN
    Forget it

That doesn't sound right, unless there are apps running in the background with high screen brightness settings and/or heavy browsing. What are you doing with your PB in the course of the day? Regardless, try downloading a demo from Kobo (free), in the Kobo app go to settings (swipe from the top, dropdown menu, choose the gear in righthand corner, bottom of page select display, select night mode) and after your selections, set screen brightness to a comfortable low setting, back to your Kobo library, open your demo book and see how long it takes to drain the battery 10%. Don't forget to disable your screen saver/sleep. This should give you a general idea of battery life reading.
    There are trolls in BlackBerry clothing among us. Report and never reply to obvious troll posts, they will die without responses from you.
    Thanked by:
    jafobabe (11-23-2012) 
    jafobabe likes this.
    CrackBerry User

For me, reading, browsing, watching some videos, playing some music, checking emails and all the tasks for a normal to slight use in a day the battery life on PB is not excellent but really awesome.

I own a Samsung Galaxy Note too and for the very same use phone will dead abut 10 times sooner. And Note doesn't have a bad battery. In fact, for me, the PB is the very first device with a battery life acceptable (I must be harmful for batterys).

Saluti a tutti!!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

I find the android player to be the most battery draining feature in my tablet. I try to avoid any app that uses it. Apps such as the FLV video player can drain my battery in less than 6 hours. Kobo does not take much power off the battery (at least to my eyes) so you shouldn't have a a problem.
    Thanked by:
    rotorwrench (11-24-2012) 
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,934 Global Posts

Since day 1 give or take some updates mine has been consistent that when using it to mostly surf, email and bbm while using bridge, no wifi anywhere to be seen, mine will last around 8 hours when doing this for about 30 to 40 minutes an hour.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

How would I know if there were apps running in the background? I don't always close pages like this -would that do it, or is it saving urls & web pgs on my homescreen for easy access a possible drain. I'm only using it to look up stuff on wikipedia via google, access sites like this, lots if Facebookand email sending and responding.
    CrackBerry User

Default Question about reading and battery life

Thanks rotorwrench! A real "ah ha" moment as a result of your post. I too have not been happy with pb battery life when reading books. BUT, I have used the white or sepia backgrounds...white background takes power! Duh. I'm going to invert to black background and see how that goes. I anticipate success.

...Dave

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
    That doesn't sound right, unless there are apps running in the background with high screen brightness settings and/or heavy browsing. What are you doing with your PB in the course of the day? Regardless, try downloading a demo from Kobo (free), in the Kobo app go to settings (swipe from the top, dropdown menu, choose the gear in righthand corner, bottom of page select display, select night mode) and after your selections, set screen brightness to a comfortable low setting, back to your Kobo library, open your demo book and see how long it takes to drain the battery 10%. Don't forget to disable your screen saver/sleep. This should give you a general idea of battery life reading.
    I'm grateful for the tip about switching colour backgrounds, but how can I find out what apps I have running?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,866 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by castoridae View Post
    I'm grateful for the tip about switching colour backgrounds, but how can I find out what apps I have running?
    Get Advanced App Manager from BB app world to check on Android apps that may continue to run in the background. Also while you are at it get Ghost Commander for file management. Both are Android ports. Aso if you go into airplane mode while you are reading you may get a little more time..
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,974 Global Posts
    PIN
    Forget it

And lot of good advice above OP.

The PB makes it simpler than most tabs to know what's running. Simply swipe up from the bottom bezel from any screen and you will see any app open. Services running in the background are a different story. You can get a good file manager as jpash549 suggests, but generally you don't have to worry too much about services on the PB. I recommend going to your homescreen, swipe down from the top to access the menu, from the left column select "General" and when that opens, in Application Behavior, select "default" or "pause". Unless you need to be truly running apps in the background (true multitasking ) not being in Showcase will save battery life if you have more than one app open. I would also download the app BatteryGuru. It is the best app out there for monitoring your PB's battery usage. Even if you don't understand what the charts are showing you, you can take screenshots, post them here and we'll help you read them. Better yet you can send the files to Peter, the developer and active member here, and he'll help you.

If you are using your PB fairly regularly through the day, depending on what you're doing, having to charge at night is not unusual for a tablet, as ismael280373 mentions. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Thanked by:
    peter9477 (11-25-2012) 
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Ok, so I left the PB plugged in last night so that I could watch the battery from a full charge. I visited some posts here, read & answered a few emails all no more than 2 hrs, and just got back after 3 hrs. I just pressed the battery icon and it says 69%. That doesn't seen right for 2hrs of use. I checked the general setting you suggested and apps is at paused and demo mode is off - probably default settings, as I don't usually play around with those.
    You mentioned swipe up from the bottom. There is icons of email, contacts, browser, calendar and app world under these is a line separating the sies I have saved to my home screen for easy access like the nextbus.com page that has my bus stop. BTW: I just repressed battery and its now gone from 69 to 66%, so I hope what I've just described here helps you to determine what's going on. Thx
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

I took a pic of my BlackBerry screen w/ my iPod and I'm posting it now. Let me know if you see something wrong.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question about reading and battery life-__temp__1351283482_675_photo.jpg  

Are you using Native email? Hotmail has/had some issues and I don't know if they are resolved.

Also, if native email is set to MANUAL sync, it can chew through the battery - it is a bug!

Have you rebooted (one of methods below) and fully recharged and then say, run the brower for a few minutes. Run the reader program for another 10 to 15 minutes. Exit so nothing else is running. Come back an hour or two later - still losing power?

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.
    Thanked by:
    castoridae (11-25-2012) 
    castoridae likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    Are you using Native email? Hotmail has/had some issues and I don't know if they are resolved. Also, if native email is set to MANUAL sync, it can chew through the battery - it is a bug! Have you rebooted (one of methods below) and fully recharged and then say, run the brower for a few minutes. Run the reader program for another 10 to 15 minutes. Exit so nothing else is running. Come back an hour or two later - still losing power?To fix an issue, try these in order:Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart
    Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts
    I'm not sure what you mean by native email. My carrier is Rogers, so they just vet thru yahoo. That means the Playbook 'Messages' email gets my mail from yahoo, and I'm not getting double mail, which happened when I had 2 e-addresses. I looked and can't find where the choice is set to manual sync or not is. If you can tell me how to find that, I'll try the rest. Thx so much.

Native email is NOT bridge email.

It is accessed from the Main Options screen - the Gear in the upper right. Then scroll down or Find Accounts and tap it. Now locate the email accounts that you have setup. If you press the PENCIL icon, you can edit email settings. Tap the email name (not the Trash can!), Tap Advanced Settings and scroll down below the various "technical settings" to where you see "Sync Interval" - if that is manual, it can potentially create battery drain issues.
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

Native email is NOT bridge email.

It is accessed from the Main Options screen - the Gear in the upper right. Then scroll down or Find Accounts and tap it. Now locate the email accounts that you have setup. If you press the PENCIL icon, you can edit email settings. Tap the email name (not the Trash can!), Tap Advanced Settings and scroll down below the various "technical settings" to where you see "Sync Interval" - if that is manual, it can potentially create battery drain issues.
    Ok, I found it . It is not on manual, it is on sync every 15 minutes and the setting above that is set to 'push if supported'
    Something is very wrong though; I charged overnight, and by about 4 this afternoon it waw down to 48%, so I recharged again this afternoon, that is very different from when I first got it.
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

So I'm going to try the reboot you mentioned, but when you say run the browser, do you mean just click that icon or actually open google or bing and leave them open for a bit?

Reboot - should kill all processes. Just use the Browser for a bit of browsing various sites for 10 or 15 minutes? Close it. Open your reader - what book reader are you using? Read for 15 or so minutes, turn pages, read..... Close it.

Now just let the pb go into Standby and leave it alone for an hour or two (if you can resist use). See what's happened.

How are you looking at Power? Battery Icon or possibly Battery Guru which can actually dump values over time to an csv file which can be loaded into Excel as spreadsheet.
    Thanked by:
    castoridae (11-25-2012) 
    castoridae likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

Reboot - should kill all processes. Just use the Browser for a bit of browsing various sites for 10 or 15 minutes? Close it. Open your reader - what book reader are you using? Read for 15 or so minutes, turn pages, read..... Close it.

Now just let the pb go into Standby and leave it alone for an hour or two (if you can resist use). See what's happened.

How are you looking at Power? Battery Icon or possibly Battery Guru which can actually dump values over time to an csv file which can be loaded into Excel as spreadsheet.
    I'm using the kobo that came already in place on the playbook. For checking the battery, I'm just using the battery icon. So first I should recharge for about an hour to ensure full capacity, and then reboot and try try these things. I'll report back in a couple of hrs, thx for helping with this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,866 Global Posts

A couple of tips:
    1. You can take a screeen shot by pressing the volume up and volume down buttons simultaneously. When you hear a click the shot will be taken and will appear in your pictures.
    2. The Help icon can lead you to catalogues of tips on various topics. Also Discover Now! 2.0 has some videos which may be helpful. There is also the manual which can be downloaded.
    3. The battery is rated at 19.95 watt-hrs at 100% charge and health. It would not be too unusual under moderately heavy use to operate at 3 to 3.5 watts so that you can easily use 33% of your charge in two hours. Thus your battery may be behaving normally. Get Battery Guru to check on the battery performance.
    4. Decreasing the frequency of polling your email or other notification providers will also help reduce battery usage.
    Thanked by:
    castoridae (11-25-2012) 
    castoridae likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

I'm using the kobo that came already in place on the playbook. For checking the battery, I'm just using the battery icon. So first I should recharge for about an hour to ensure full capacity, and then reboot and try try these things. I'll report back in a couple of hrs, thx for helping with this.
    Ok, here is my update: I recharged battery to 100%, then restarted by pressing battery, then did the cold boot: stop, held the high + low volume for close to 30 secs to make sure. Used the browser for about. 20 mins, closed it opened kobo and read for about half hour, closed kobo and then let it power down and left it for over 2 hrs. Battery is now at 81%.Used my iPod touch while waiting and learned some interesting things: I had both the back light and the volume turned way up, so when I restarted it after the 2 hrs, I turned them both way down. I'm hoping that this will make quite a difference. The article also said to use the standby frequently, would that be instead of just letting it dim down on its own? I might also change the fade time it's currently at 1 or 2 minutes, I think, mainly because I find it irritating for the screen to blank if I'm reading something. I will also change the background to black, when I'm reading, I think you're right, it will be easier on the eyes! So I'll see how all this works in a couple of days. In the meantime, with trying all these adjustments, this has been an extremely important learning session for me. Many thanks!
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

Quote Originally Posted by jpash549 View Post
    A couple of tips:
    1. You can take a screeen shot by pressing the volume up and volume down buttons simultaneously. When you hear a click the shot will be taken and will appear in your pictures.
    2. The Help icon can lead you to catalogues of tips on various topics. Also Discover Now! 2.0 has some videos which may be helpful. There is also the manual which can be downloaded.
    3. The battery is rated at 19.95 watt-hrs at 100% charge and health. It would not be too unusual under moderately heavy use to operate at 3 to 3.5 watts so that you can easily use 33% of your charge in two hours. Thus your battery may be behaving normally. Get Battery Guru to check on the battery performance.
    4. Decreasing the frequency of polling your email or other notification providers will also help reduce battery usage.
    Interesting, some people have said here that theirs is lasting 10+ hrs of heavy use. I've made some adjustments to the backlight, etc, but I'll keep my eye on how much usage in how much time and see if the changes help any. Thx so much for your input.

I allow mine to go into standby by itself. When on BATTERY - My backlight timeout is 2 minutes, auto dimming is ON and Standby Timeout is 5 minutes. But I do have my light pretty low when indoors. If you look at the slider, mine is pretty much centered under the "P" in "Plugged In" (in the line above). But lighting is very personal and really depends on ambient lighting.

But kind of switching around - that's why folks like dedicated e-readers, particularly Kindles. They last forever (days and weeks) on a full charge, even my new Kindle Paperwhite lasts a long time with its internal light and it is much easier to use outside on a sunny day.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast