I've read here several times about a hard boot for the playbook. If the shutter clicks and you keep holding all 3 buttons down, is it just turning off or have you done a hard boot? If you're successful, does it start up on its own or do you have to turn it on? I'm having trouble because when I try off button, vol up, vol down, the shutter keeps going off (yes, I'm trying very hard to press them all at the same time). I tried it backwards (vol down, vol up, off button) and it shut down, but did not restart.
    12-12-12 09:32 AM
    Apparently, you only need to press down the Power and either VolumeUp or VolumeDown buttons simultaneously to shut the tablet down. Then to restart it simply press the Power button.
    castoridae likes this.
    12-12-12 09:40 AM
    I reboot as I understand it is when the PB shuts down and restarts on its own. I hold the power button and volume + until I see nothing on the screen. It will then restart after a few seconds. The volume - is not needed as far as I can tell. Holding the power button until you see nothing on the screen may give the same results. The only difference is you will have to manually restart.
    Dexsin likes this.
    12-12-12 10:51 AM
    I reboot as I understand it is when the PB shuts down and restarts on its own. I hold the power button and volume + until I see nothing on the screen. It will then restart after a few seconds. The volume - is not needed as far as I can tell. Holding the power button until you see nothing on the screen may give the same results. The only difference is you will have to manually restart.
    You're right Chadd, a true hard re-set will result in a self re-start. OP, you'll know if you've accomplished a hard re-set if while holding down the buttons the screen goes to black and the option notification appears showing "re-start- standby-turn off " and while continuing to hold the buttons down the screen goes black with NO other notifications. At this point release the buttons and within a few seconds the PB will re-start itself. If you see a notification after the options stating " PlayBook turning off" then all you've accomplished is to turn the PB off. With a true hard re-set you would not have to manually turn the PB back on.
    kbz1960 and castoridae like this.
    12-12-12 06:44 PM
    You're right Chadd, a true hard re-set will result in a self re-start. OP, you'll know if you've accomplished a hard re-set if while holding down the buttons the screen goes to black and the option notification appears showing "re-start- standby-turn off " and while continuing to hold the buttons down the screen goes black with NO other notifications. At this point release the buttons and within a few seconds the PB will re-start itself. If you see a notification after the options stating " PlayBook turning off" then all you've accomplished is to turn the PB off. With a true hard re-set you would not have to manually turn the PB back on.
    Yep, I knew it wasn't doing it with the off+vol up&down. I would get the shutter click, then the option notes, then it shut off and stayed off. Thx so much!
    12-16-12 12:47 AM
    Yep, I knew it wasn't doing it with the off+vol up&down. I would get the shutter click, then the option notes, then it shut off and stayed off. Thx so much!
    Also, don't worry about the screenshot shutter click, it sometimes does it even with a successful reset. As long as the screen goes black and you release the buttons and it restarts itself, you're good.
    12-16-12 03:08 AM