When I check the IP address on my phone browser (IP Cow - Find your IP Address and more., or http://ipv6.he.net, etc) my phone show my IP address differ from when I check via the bridge browser. If I use the bridge browser when roaming, will I incur roaming charges?
    08-06-12 03:49 PM
    The "Bridge" Browser kind of ceased to exist after one of the OS updates. While Browsing can occur using your Bridged bb phone, there is not a separate browser (there might be for BES folks?). So, yes, the bridged browser CAN be using phone data and if you are roaming (as I was this past weekend in Victoria, BC), you might want to exercise care. I carefully turned off data-while-roaming on my 9930 and tried only using wifi for the pb where I could find it.

Others might have better info on this process. I did use some data (9930 email and a bit of browsing on the phone) while up in Victoria and I'll be curious, hopefully, not painfully aware, of what my bit of data roaming will have cost.
    08-06-12 04:42 PM
    My PB and 9800 show the same IP address with a xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.rdns.blackberry.net hostname.

However, if you are roaming on your phone, you may be subject to roaming data charges when browsing over the bridge. You need to check with TMO especially if you are going to travel internationally.
    08-06-12 07:36 PM
    Yes, BES users still have a separate Bridge browser. Mine seems to loop back to my BES and then out my internet connection at my office.
    08-06-12 09:20 PM
    Different IPs?
    That's new. They use to be the same IP. That's why AT&T didn't like it becuase they couldn't tell if you were bridged or not. If the new Bridge has 2 IPs then Carriers will be able to charge people who don't have free teathering
    08-06-12 10:02 PM
    How does the IP matter? You need to confirm with your carrier on Roaming charges as per your tariff plan. In my country, it's simple. Roaming on Home network is not chargeable across the country. Network availability is not standard though..

So for eg. If my network shows 'x' when at home.. At roaming I need to get 'x' network to not be charged for roaming BIS..
    08-08-12 01:19 AM
    Different IPs?
    That's new. They use to be the same IP. That's why AT&T didn't like it becuase they couldn't tell if you were bridged or not. If the new Bridge has 2 IPs then Carriers will be able to charge people who don't have free teathering
    IIRC from previous discussions on this, BIS users see the same IP address, BES users see two. And it's been that way for quite a while now (from 1.08?).

IIRC (again), the BES guys had to have a corporate IP address on their PBs or they couldn't access their corporate network.

I don't believe it had any implications for tethering, I can't remember anyone raising that issue then and presumably this mirrors the way the BB phone connects to the interweb?
    Last edited by JeepBB; 08-08-12 at 04:16 AM.
    08-08-12 03:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD