So I live here in Switzerland and I decided to jump on a factory refurbished 64gb playbook from Amazon.
    I had it shipped to my parents and then they shipped it here to me.
    It arrived, I plugged it in in overly excitement and joy, only to smell some burning coming from the charging port. Fried, the tablet wont do anything.

So I called RIM, and asked them about the warranty blah blah blah. Turns out they cant do anything since the tablet was bought in the US. So I'd have to send it back to the US and pay a ton of shipping(about 75fr)

Why can't they just send it to a facility here in Europe to get it fixed? Is there anyway around this? I been a BB fan for years, loyal customer, own 3 of the newest BB's, loooking forward to BB10 and OS 2.0 I've explained this and more and they still don't get it.

Any advice? Who could I talk to?
    02-16-12 04:28 AM
    wow that would really get me mad. maybe try calling them back and say you purchased it the country you are in. when they look up the serial number and find out its a us model, tell them this is the one you received when you purchased it from amazon.co.uk?

just an idea
    02-16-12 04:35 AM
    ...the serial number tells them directly where it came from. No sense in lying to them.

I am still in conversation with them but, at this point I may have to return the playbook
    02-16-12 04:39 AM
    Actually, the warranty is ONE YEAR. The 90 days is for free tech service. (and I have a rant going on about that stupid limitation in other threads).

But I guess I can start another rant on this whole concept of a Multinational Company, not only Rim, which will not recognize that their device will be purchased and moved around by a multinational purchasing public. They take the benefits of being multinational but won't acknowledge what should be their obligations.

Good luck. And was it the tablet or maybe just the charger? You can try using USB with the pb off - it charges very slowly. Or find another micro-usb cable.
    02-16-12 10:23 AM
    The problem is that in some countries, RIM is not the distributor and does not handle the warranty. If you do not buy it in country, the distributor does not want to deal with it because they did not distribute it. It can be warrantied, but it has to go back to where it was distributed from. In this case, RIM in North America probably does not have the logistics of dealing with an international warranty repair because that is what their distributor is for. Even for me in Canada, the PlayBook get ships to and from the USA for the repair depot and the included customs paper work is two or three pages of legalize and tariff and telecommunications clearance.
    02-16-12 10:37 AM
    Oh, surely we all know this by now, don't we?

(Should probably have been declared at customs, too.....)
    02-16-12 01:24 PM
    it was declared at customs, I got hit with another hefty lil bill(not as much as I expected only 55fr) but I still dont get it. Why cant we send it here somewhere in EU? I mean, I dont know the UK?! They have a distributor there thats for sure!

sighs
    02-16-12 03:46 PM
    and no it was the tablet. Ive used the charger on my phone and it works perfectly fine. The tablet has a burnt smell, as if something fried up
    02-16-12 03:48 PM
    It's actually very, very simple.

The warranty applies to the original purchaser.
    The warranty applies in the country in which the original purchaser is domiciled.
    The warranty is not transferable.
    02-16-12 04:22 PM
    It's actually very, very simple.

The warranty applies to the original purchaser.
    The warranty applies in the country in which the original purchaser is domiciled.
    The warranty is not transferable.

youre wrong. The warranty is transferable as I was able to get it now, I am getting a new PlayBook. However I do have to send this one back to the states. There is nothing they can do due to the fact that it has a US serial number. But I can have it shipped to my parents or friend and then have them send me the new one...
    02-17-12 03:16 PM
    Just to add my 2 cents ...a lot of refurbs only have a 30 day instore / online return policy - at least that's what I found through Best Buy and Future Shop here in Ontario.
    02-17-12 04:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD