Hey, several months ago RIM announced that QT will be supported by the Playbook. Bing maps sucks on the playbook in my opinion, but Nokia has their maps that are very good. For the Nokia N9 they wrote their maps client in QT, so my question is very simple: is it somehow possible to port Nokia maps to the playbook? I know both devices have a different screenresolution, but I think it would be amazing!
    05-02-12 10:32 AM
    Nokia paid $8.1 billion for their maps --- they ain't sharing it with anybody.

Nokia to Pay $8.1 Billion for Navteq
    05-02-12 10:47 AM
    Nokia paid $8.1 billion for their maps --- they ain't sharing it with anybody.

Nokia to Pay $8.1 Billion for Navteq
    That is the problem with on device maps for the PlayBook; there are only two or three players with the license to the on device maps, Nokia being one of them. Without somebody to license you the maps, you cannot make an on device map storage GPS app legally.
    05-02-12 11:24 AM
    BB10 should get bbmaps and I imagine from the looks of things so far that it will be a kickass program.
    05-02-12 12:13 PM
    I hope so, everything is better than Bing in my opinion.
    05-02-12 12:17 PM
    05-03-12 01:50 AM
    The Cascades SDK uses Qt.
    05-03-12 02:05 AM
    Just because Nokia developed it in Qt, doesn't mean that they share it with everybody. And because it is a native app it would need to be recompiled for BB10 (so the source code would be needed).
    But you can use a light version of it in the browser: Nokia Maps
    05-03-12 02:23 AM
    That is the problem with on device maps for the PlayBook; there are only two or three players with the license to the on device maps, Nokia being one of them. Without somebody to license you the maps, you cannot make an on device map storage GPS app legally.
    There is a free map option

OpenStreetMap

They only request that you acknowledge them if you chose to use it
    05-03-12 02:39 AM
    I hope tomtom maps will come to the playbook ASAP!!
    05-08-12 09:07 AM
    I hope tomtom maps will come to the playbook ASAP!!
    I guess with the announcement in today's Blog, it might be happening.

I really hope some of the stuff that is supposedly reserved for the real of bb10 phones comes to the pb and does not wait. I think releasing powerful apps/tools for the pb in advance of releasing a bb10 phone could work to keep folks in the bb camp. If they see what will be coming to the phone on an active pb, would do wonders.
    05-08-12 11:01 AM
    imo I think they shud definitetly enhance pb ndk/os with cascades suport which would allow devs who already own pb to develop for both pb and bb10. having cascades support for pb AFTER bb10 isn't a very smart move in my opinion.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    05-08-12 02:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD