Can anyone clarify why QNX is the best. All I hear it has a good framework, it has untapped potential..etc etc
    However I just tried he webOs and it seemed to surpass qnx at multitasking. As an example you can open multiple browser, where in qnx you can't. Though I had bae experience in terms of stability with xoom, but or the android 3.1 seems much better and as an example it was running an animated wall paper had widgets customization.
    QNX 'almost' seemed as dull as the current apple's ios when compared to these other os.
    In terms of apps I don't see anything that RIM is superb at running in qnx but if we look at it from the perspective of the other OSs they seemed to be doing way better, wireless printing from hp tab, or notifications that work in he android 3.0.
    Bridge seemed to be a good concept, unfortunately speed reminds me of the dial up 14.4 modems.
    Does it just come down to preferences of OS or is there something that I am missing as to why others here seems to appreciate it so much.
    07-04-11 09:25 PM
    I guess you mean the BlackBerry Tablet OS?
    07-04-11 09:28 PM
    As an example you can open multiple browser, where in qnx you can't.
    On the PlayBook, you open multiple tabs. It's the exact same.

The android 3.1 seems much better and as an example it was running an animated wall paper had widgets customization.
    That's simply missing from the frontend. RIM could add that later... It's a design choice, nothing to do with the underlying OS.

Really, at the end of the day, if you don't like your PlayBook, then please, by all means return it. Don't come here to start a flame war.
    Last edited by FineWolf; 07-04-11 at 09:40 PM.
    07-04-11 09:37 PM
    tabbed browsing

And, if you have the bridge browser, you technically can open multiple windows.
    07-04-11 09:38 PM
    I guess the only real difference is that you can't have multiple tabs run at the same time like you can multiple windows
    07-04-11 09:43 PM
    does webOS have REAL multitasking like a computer does? or is it like the playbook where when you go to a different browser tab whatever is on the unclicked tab stops working, such as a youtube video.
    07-04-11 11:47 PM
    The "BlackBerry Tablet OS based on QNX" IS indeed the best OS because of 'a good framework, it has untapped potential..etc etc', you name it.

The fact that other Tablets (not OSes but TABLETS) can print or have more apps has nothing (much) to do with the OS they run on. (Just that RIM is slow with delivering the NDK )

Widgets on the Android OS are a matter of personal preference, indeed. I don't even use my Windows sidebar.

So for the most part, your question is either invalid, or you answered it yourself
    07-05-11 07:21 AM
    Tabs and individual pages are the same thing, I don't see how the PB has less multitasking power because opens the web tabs. So yes, of course you can open webpages they are called web tabs...????? You are confusing me.

Now as far as cool things, that has nothing to do with QNX being inferior, RIM has different priorities it seems. If you have talented DEV's anything is possible, if they put their minds into it they can make the PB OS look and feel like is a different life form from a distance galaxy.

Don't forget that what you see on the PB is not QNX but RIM's tablet version of BBOS, QNX is the engine powering the layers of skin/interface. You can have the best OS in the world known to mankind only to ruin it with a terrible useless interface.

You can put a Ferrari engine on a Toyota Corrolla and assume to be as good and fast as a Ferrari but that's not the case, it will start, but it will not drive like one.
    Last edited by evolutionPlaybook; 07-05-11 at 08:01 AM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-05-11 07:44 AM

You can put a Ferrari engine on a Toyota Corrolla and assume to be as good and fast as a Ferrari but that's not the case, it will start, but it will not drive like one.
    Nice! Very simple and true way to say it.
    07-05-11 08:49 AM
    Tabs and individual pages are the same thing, I don't see how the PB has less multitasking power because opens the web tabs. So yes, of course you can open webpages they are called web tabs...????? You are confusing me.

Now as far as cool things, that has nothing to do with QNX being inferior, RIM has different priorities it seems. If you have talented DEV's anything is possible, if they put their minds into it they can make the PB OS look and feel like is a different life form from a distance galaxy.

Don't forget that what you see on the PB is not QNX but RIM's tablet version of BBOS, QNX is the engine powering the layers of skin/interface. You can have the best OS in the world known to mankind only to ruin it with a terrible useless interface.

You cant currently multitask with the tabs though which i think is what the difference is
    07-05-11 09:01 AM
    One can run three separate browsers at the same time on the PB: the main browser, bridge browser, and someone came up with another browser that is available in app world.

The OP is confusing the OS with the UI.
    07-05-11 09:01 AM
    QNX is known for real-time scheduling and multitasking power.

... looks like some of you don't know what multitasking is, I've seen the PB have 10+ things open.
    07-05-11 09:14 AM
    "The OP is confusing the OS with the UI"

It seems like.
    07-05-11 09:18 AM
    ... looks like some of you don't know what multitasking is, I've seen the PB have 10+ things open.
    it may have 10 things open but having more than 1 tab open in the browser doesn't allow for everything to be 'multitasking' i'd like to be able to listen to a youtube video while browsing crackberry but currently i can only do that on my pc.
    07-05-11 09:22 AM
    QNX is known for real-time scheduling and multitasking power.

All modern smartphone OSs can multitask. QNX is a great OS kernel but it is only one piece of the puzzle.
    07-05-11 09:22 AM
    it may have 10 things open but having more than 1 tab open in the browser doesn't allow for everything to be 'multitasking' i'd like to be able to listen to a youtube video while browsing crackberry but currently i can only do that on my pc.
    Why are you still going on about browser tabs? That's not part of the mutlitasking the OS does, that's a browser issue.
    07-05-11 09:27 AM
    Use the Youtube app?
    collapsed likes this.
    07-05-11 09:28 AM
    Why are you still going on about browser tabs? That's not part of the mutlitasking the OS does, that's a browser issue.
    ok fine, the PB broswer fails at multitasking....is that better?
    07-05-11 09:31 AM
    ok fine, the PB broswer fails at multitasking....is that better?
    No it's offtopic!
    collapsed likes this.
    07-05-11 09:35 AM
    That has nothing to do with tabs however. It's RIM choosing deliberately to suspend any flash videos not in the current tab.
    07-05-11 08:09 PM
    Though this reply is probably pointless as the OP's issues are with the Browser APP and the UI NOT the OS.

BUT what makes QNX the best OS is it's POSIX compliance, in addition to this it is also a true microkernel vs. monolithic kernel of Android, Apple, and Windows Mobile 7.

This allows for better memory management, and smarter use of processing power.

RIM did make mistakes with the UI, and I agree multiple instances of each app SHOULD be allowed as I want to swipe back and forward between browser windows not jump tabs, and I want to have 3 excel files open and a Word file and 2 PDF's
    howarmat likes this.
    07-05-11 08:30 PM
    Open your bridge browser and the playbook browser at the same time and you don't have to use your home computer any more. You can have it all on the playbook.
    07-05-11 08:39 PM
    Though this reply is probably pointless as the OP's issues are with the Browser APP and the UI NOT the OS.

BUT what makes QNX the best OS is it's POSIX compliance

RIM did make mistakes with the UI, and I agree multiple instances of each app SHOULD be allowed as I want to swipe back and forward between browser windows not jump tabs, and I want to have 3 excel files open and a Word file and 2 PDF's
    Nice explanation. Exactly what I was looking for. As for the UI can it be rectified or do we have to get used to it ? The other tablets UI seems very nice, and given the framework is better why is RIM keeping it so dull. Looks sometimes do sell.
    07-05-11 08:42 PM
    BUT what makes QNX the best OS is it's POSIX compliance, in addition to this it is also a true microkernel vs. monolithic kernel of Android, Apple, and Windows Mobile 7.
    The Apple OS is also micro kernal based and is POSIX compliant.
    07-05-11 09:05 PM
    The Apple OS is also micro kernal based and is POSIX compliant.
    Last I checked OSX was not running on tablets, I though iOS was which is not POSIX compliant
    07-05-11 09:09 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD