Is this going to be - again - about hulu and netflix ?
    C'mon ...

Mods, before this nicely informative post goes nowehere, could you close it ?
    01-30-12 12:03 PM
    BB10 smartphones and playbooks will be brilliant devices...and learning the OS is used in so many other applications is way beyond cool

The future is integrated and it looks like QNX is the top OS for the job
    01-30-12 12:45 PM
    RIM's Last Hope?

QNX: RIM’s last hope?

A few tidbits from this article, though do read the whole thing:

While still unknown to many, QNX has been punching above its weight class for decades.

The 31-year-old company, which was co-founded by Dodge and Gordon Bell, is a serious force in the global software industry. Operating systems designed by an Ottawa workforce that now numbers 300 run electrical grids across North America, power credit-card transactions globally, guide laser-eye surgery machines and run the computer and entertainment systems in a vast majority of the world’s automobiles.
    QNX software “simply doesn’t crash,” said the Fortune piece, adding: “The only way to make this software malfunction is to fire a bullet into the computer running it.

RIM hopes for that kind of reaction when it releases PlayBook OS 2.0, made by QNX, next month, and again when its new BlackBerry devices running QNX’s operating system are released later this year.
    So much promise with the QNX foundation, though as the article states... switching platforms entirely like this is a monumental undertaking. This industry moves so quickly though, and consumers have little patience when greener grass can be had next door ... right now.
    01-30-12 10:35 PM

A few tidbits from this article, though do read the whole thing:

The only way to make this software malfunction is to fire a bullet into the computer running it.

So much promise with the QNX foundation, though as the article states... switching platforms entirely like this is a monumental undertaking. This industry moves so quickly though, and consumers have little patience when greener grass can be had next door ... right now.
    Stability indeed looks like the feature "electrical grids across North America, credit-card transactions globally, laser-eye surgery machines" need. But RIM is not going to win in the market just because the OS is bulletproof. At least in the consumer market.

It's the functionality that they need to improve. QNX may be theoretically much more stable than Windows or OSX but I doubt any of you is using a QNX-powered laptop/desktop right now, although AFAIK QNX Neutrino RTOS can be obtained and installed. Why? Hasn't it been around for 30 years?

Besides, as the end user, I haven't had a single stability-related problem with Win 7 (except for a few browser (Firefox) crashes due to Flash container, which also happens on the Playbook).
    Last edited by kennyliu; 01-30-12 at 10:59 PM.
    01-30-12 10:51 PM
    This is great info to bring up in conversations at parties...
    rkennedy01 likes this.
    01-30-12 11:02 PM
    This is great info to bring up in conversations at parties...
    We must go to very different parties!
    kennyliu and hpjrt like this.
    01-31-12 12:07 AM
    Oh, I thought you have to talk about power plants and operating systems at any party? Don't you?
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-31-12 12:11 AM
    Oh, I thought you have to talk about power plants and operating systems at any party? Don't you?
    LOL! you guys
    01-31-12 12:16 AM
    I just wanted to say thanks for sharing. I think some of the humourus information passed some people but this matches and exceeds my understanding of QNX in the past, so nice to have details added .

For those debating it earlier:

QNX runs Netflix and Hulu great. It's the both the short sightedness of Netflix in selecting Silverlight and Hulus greediness coupled with the PlayBook OS version of QNX (it is the OS security protocols) tha prevents us from bringing it all to the PB.

Just saying, if your going to blame - pick the right people. QNX is not made for the PlayBook its the PlayBook that is made for the QNX. Anything that doesn't work in the PlayBook that worked in QNX is by design of someone outside of (and directly unrelated to) QNX. (edit: For clarity, just saying if you don't like how this implementation of QNX was designed - you have to blame the designer - not the OS it was based on - the OS was made to be stable. How pretty it is and what applications it supports is up to RIM).

Ed
    Last edited by KermEd; 01-31-12 at 12:52 AM.
    kennyliu likes this.
    01-31-12 12:45 AM
    Good info OP. Being a geek I find all the minutia interesting.

I have to admit though, an OS only needs to be good enough. But good enough is different things to different customers. Cisco is not about to build routers that run Windows CE after all.

Bottom line is RIM needed a powerful and flexible OS that could be bought and controlled. Not a lot of choices. QNX seems ideal.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    01-31-12 01:27 AM
    I just wanted to say thanks for sharing. I think some of the humourus information passed some people but this matches and exceeds my understanding of QNX in the past, so nice to have details added .

For those debating it earlier:

QNX runs Netflix and Hulu great. It's the both the short sightedness of Netflix in selecting Silverlight and Hulus greediness coupled with the PlayBook OS version of QNX (it is the OS security protocols) tha prevents us from bringing it all to the PB.

Just saying, if your going to blame - pick the right people. QNX is not made for the PlayBook its the PlayBook that is made for the QNX. Anything that doesn't work in the PlayBook that worked in QNX is by design of someone outside of (and directly unrelated to) QNX. (edit: For clarity, just saying if you don't like how this implementation of QNX was designed - you have to blame the designer - not the OS it was based on - the OS was made to be stable. How pretty it is and what applications it supports is up to RIM).

Ed
    As I recall, Hulu did work on the Playbook at first. It was Hulu them selves that edited their own site to see if people were using PB, & block it if they were

These stupid developers know that RIM needs apps & that people want these Apps on their BlackBerrys, so they are demanding lots of $$$ from RIM to allow their apps on the platform.
    KermEd likes this.
    01-31-12 02:28 AM
    yeah, i remember crackberry did a video showing playbook browser viewing hulu. they blocked it. no idea why.

01-31-12 04:18 AM
    love Rim for not following market trends and simoly making an os with what consumers demand. they have taken a giant leap by moving ahead to educate people rather than make a device which is perfect for current trends but not any beyond capabilities..

qnx is the next generation.. might not support many apps as of yet but even in its demo os stage it simply out performs anything out there.. no competition at all..
    01-31-12 06:35 AM
    As I recall, Hulu did work on the Playbook at first. It was Hulu them selves that edited their own site to see if people were using PB, & block it if they were

These stupid developers know that RIM needs apps & that people want these Apps on their BlackBerrys, so they are demanding lots of $$$ from RIM to allow their apps on the platform.
    Hulu blocks stock Android Android devices too. It ain't only RIM. They block mobile devices. They want you to get their premium service.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    01-31-12 06:56 AM
    Hulu blocks stock Android Android devices too. It ain't only RIM. They block mobile devices. They want you to get their premium service.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    If you can get the service on a laptop with a regular browser, why not on tablet with a browser? I do not get it!
    01-31-12 07:28 AM
    If you can get the service on a laptop with a regular browser, why not on tablet with a browser? I do not get it!
    I think they identify by browser and/or flash configuration. You used to be able to trick them by changing browser settings, but they blocked that.

To watch on an Android device, you need a special "hulufied" apk.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    01-31-12 07:48 AM
    Hulu's license for some shows only allows viewing on a computer; as a result, in order to remain within their license, they have to keep computers and "mobile devices" separate.
    01-31-12 07:59 AM
    Well, since Hanford is just across the Cascade Curtain, yes, at times! There are not enough BILLIONS to clean it up! But qnx is probably there.
    01-31-12 09:22 AM
    Eh, flamewars aren't my style. As my signature stands, I have a waterhose ready.
    04-16-12 08:13 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD