View Poll Results: What do you think of QNX OS 2.0 user interface?

Voters
295. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer the new user interface, forget the old one!

114 38.64%
  • I prefer the new user interface, but could use some changes.

93 31.53%
  • I prefer the old user interface, bring it back!

15 5.08%
  • I prefer the old user interface, but could use some changes.

32 10.85%
  • I could go either way really.

36 12.20%
  • I would prefer neither honestly.

5 1.69%
    So I just took a at the demo version of the upcoming update we all have been waiting for. I saw planty of people excited about it... but am I really the only one disgusted? I mean really, what does the new user interface really show for user improvements? Let me explain my issues:

First off, the design looks horrible to me. You get 3 icons to choose to be put on your favorites, but those favorites are put where the tab bars used to be. So if you wanted to use something other then the 3, you'll always have to search for it and open the entire section of a tab... that should speed things along now shouldn't it. Why would you want 5 icons, with 4 tabs to swipe apon, giving you 5 more icons to choose, and that's all without ever loosing site of all the windows you have open!

Second, what's with the new tab organization? I mean instead of just grabbing an app, and moving it into the tab I wanted. It seems now I'd have to go the Android way and hold it against the side of the screen. Although the demo looks as though I'd have to drag it along each section. Seeing how it didn't auto go to a new section when held to the side of your screen. Meaning we'd all have to drag it to each section, to get to one end to another.
    Also, why did they get rid of naming the tab sections? Now I just get these dots that just look unfinished.

Now my third complaint could go either way. So someone thought that size matters, for some reason, and gave use larger windows to view. Now we get a bigger view of what we're doing, but that means more swiping along to get though 3 windows. Seeing how it looks like 2 could cover the entire screen. Although who really has 5 windows open? Either way, you couldn't do anything with them being viewed at the same time. So I wished they kept them how they are, instead of that.

Well anyways, do you guys really like the new interface? I mean sure we like the features, such as folders. Although if we had the new interface from the start, and the new update looked like our current OS. Would you still be as excited about it as some of you are now?

EDIT NOTE:
    Well I read someone saying on this thread, that you get that the new update looks like an upside down IOS. So I thought I'd try and MY GOD!?!
    Click to view quoted image
    Lol, it also made me laugh. I thought, for some reason alot of people like where BB is heading. Then it occured that maybe BB was trying to go the Samsung way, and try to look like the IOS way.
    I then thought, from observing this poll. Maybe some of you hardcore fans don't see that BB is becoming like your sworn enemy. I also thought maybe some of you deep down really like IOS, but seeing how the Playbook doesn't have the keyboard. What's not to like?

Anyways it was just a fun seeing BB converting to IOS from this presentation.
    P.S. All I edited was; putting the bottom half of the IOS on top, resize of course, and gave it IOS a QNX top toolbar.
    Now couldn't they just have done this? Oh and look!? The tabs names have been customized!
    Last edited by Venichie; 10-20-11 at 04:11 AM.
    10-18-11 06:05 PM
    still beta but what has been improved? that bigger windows also moves like android tablets time to time laggy...
    dont take me wrong but still no native email ...
    anyways net browser feels a bit faster
    servlad likes this.
    10-18-11 06:09 PM
    i really pity RIM…nothing they do is enough to satisfy anyone…you should be happy they are doing something and things are only going to improve from now on and playbook was not abandoned…i'm glad that OS2.0 is finally here and it is no more a speculation.
    meganVee likes this.
    10-18-11 06:14 PM
    upps I just found you can create some folders which is nice
    games folder etc.
    I reckon they gonna polish few glitches by the time
    Altarocks likes this.
    10-18-11 06:14 PM
    So I just took a at the demo version of the upcoming update we all have been waiting for. I saw planty of people excited about it... but am I really the only one disgusted? I mean really, what does the new user interface really show for user improvements? Let me explain my issues:

First off, the design looks horrible to me. You get 3 icons to choose to be put on your favorites, but those favorites are put where the tab bars used to be. So if you wanted to use something other then the 3, you'll always have to search for it and open the entire section of a tab... that should speed things along now shouldn't it. Why would you want 5 icons, with 4 tabs to swipe apon, giving you 5 more icons to choose, and that's all without ever loosing site of all the windows you have open!

Second, what's with the new tab organization? I mean instead of just grabbing an app, and moving it into the tab I wanted. It seems now I'd have to go the Android way and hold it against the side of the screen. Although the demo looks as though I'd have to drag it along each section. Seeing how it didn't auto go to a new section when held to the side of your screen. Meaning we'd all have to drag it to each section, to get to one end to another.
    Also, why did they get rid of naming the tab sections? Now I just get these dots that just look unfinished.

Now my third complaint could go either way. So someone thought that size matters, for some reason, and gave use larger windows to view. Now we get a bigger view of what we're doing, but that means more swiping along to get though 3 windows. Seeing how it looks like 2 could cover the entire screen. Although who really has 5 windows open? Either way, you couldn't do anything with them being viewed at the same time. So I wished they kept them how they are, instead of that.

Well anyways, do you guys really like the new interface? I mean sure we like the features, such as folders. Although if we had the new interface from the start, and the new update looked like our current OS. Would you still be as excited about it as some of you are now?
    It's called a developer beta because it's meant for developers to use to build and test apps and make sure they work on 2.0. It's not meant for whiners such as yourself who think it's a finished product.

Good day.
    KRol, mz. yaya, Zudeo and 25 others like this.
    10-18-11 06:23 PM
    i hope the shelf this 3 icon thing for good and Forever and never ever think of bringing it back Ever...this is insanely stupid idea.
    ddlax22 and ssbtech like this.
    10-18-11 06:24 PM
    sorry misunderstand
    Last edited by ilker-uk; 10-18-11 at 06:29 PM.
    10-18-11 06:26 PM
    The tabs are a great way to organize icons.

Instead of having an "all" page with two dozen icons that you need to search through to find those beloved "folders", you simply tap the name of the tab.

Folders are stupid and archaic. The only thing that needed improving was adding the ability to add/rename tabs.
    hpauly, lma13, blackmoe and 4 others like this.
    10-18-11 06:30 PM
    It looks pretty nice to me. Glad to see the tabs are gone.
    Morbium, Barljo, Jaerho and 1 others like this.
    10-18-11 06:34 PM
    You can create Folders and have up to 6 Icons/Folders on the Favorites Bar.
    10-18-11 06:34 PM
    i really pity RIM�nothing they do is enough to satisfy anyone�you should be happy they are doing something and things are only going to improve from now on and playbook was not abandoned�i'm glad that OS2.0 is finally here and it is no more a speculation.
    Agree 100% buddy!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-11 06:38 PM
    It looks pretty nice to me. Glad to see the tabs are gone.
    Care to explain why the tabs were a problem for you?
    10-18-11 06:39 PM
    You can put 6 apps or folders in the shelf.
    10-18-11 06:39 PM
    You can create Folders and have up to 6 Icons/Folders on the Favorites Bar.
    I can't see how people who hate tapping on the tabs prefer digging through folders.
    Last edited by ssbtech; 10-18-11 at 06:43 PM.
    Just Me and ddlax22 like this.
    10-18-11 06:40 PM
    There is one nice thing about making folders, the folders 'are the tabs' and really it would be much better to use. For example, you make a game folder and there it is, you pick it, the folder opens and all your games are there; better than sliding to a tab. But, really, why can't they have both, folders and tabs.

The only thing I don't like is the larger window size and the freakin dot. I want to minimize swiping, think of the long-term effects of more swiping I embrace everything else they're doing.
    10-18-11 07:12 PM
    There is one nice thing about making folders, the folders 'are the tabs' and really it would be much better to use. For example, you make a game folder and there it is, you pick it, the folder opens and all your games are there; better than sliding to a tab. But, really, why can't they have both, folders and tabs.
    I don't buy this logic.

You tap your "game" folder and it opens up to a new pane with your games.
    you tap your "game" tab and it opens up to a new pane with your games.

Tabs don't get lost amongst the "all" page, which depending on how many apps you have installed can be 60+ icons.

The little strip of tabs takes up less desktop space than having the folders, too.
    blackmoe likes this.
    10-18-11 07:18 PM
    Im just happy to be here!
    mikeplus1, jvictor77 and Zudeo like this.
    10-18-11 07:21 PM
    I think there were some more important issues with the Playbook that should have been resolved instead of changing the UI for no reason (which seems to be what people are focused on right now).
    10-18-11 07:24 PM
    The tabs are a great way to organize icons.

Instead of having an "all" page with two dozen icons that you need to search through to find those beloved "folders", you simply tap the name of the tab.

Folders are stupid and archaic. The only thing that needed improving was adding the ability to add/rename tabs.
    It's all about preferences and my preferences say folders are not archaic and would much rather orginize my icons through folders. But they can't please everyone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-11 07:25 PM
    I like it. It could use some refinements though. I would change:

1. Make it so you could have multiple docks like you could in OS 1 Be able to swipe side to side to get to another dock would be nice (or if you want, only fill up one dock, so you only have one dock)

2. Make the dots in the app tray touchable. It would be nice if you could touch on dot #5 and the Playbook would skip to homescreen #5. Similar to how you could touch a tab's name in OS 1 to skip to that tab.

3. I'd also like looping homescreens. Be able to go left from the first screen to get to the last homescreen, and right from the Last to the first. Would also be useful in the dock if they implemented suggestion #1.

4. Multitouch. Moving apps from page to page is slow. It would be nice if you could hold an app with one finger, and swipe between homescreens with another. Would make the app sorting experience more enjoyable.

That's my two cents.
    10-18-11 07:31 PM
    So I just took a at the demo version of the upcoming update we all have been waiting for.
    It's called a developer beta because it's meant for developers to use to build and test apps and make sure they work on 2.0. It's not meant for whiners such as yourself who think it's a finished product.

Good day.
    Yes I realized that. Did you realize in the first few words I even stated it, or were you blinded because I criticized BB's actions?! I'm sure we have an idea what the final product will look like...
    P.S. I quoted where I stated it.

i really pity RIM�nothing they do is enough to satisfy anyone�you should be happy they are doing something and things are only going to improve from now on and playbook was not abandoned�i'm glad that OS2.0 is finally here and it is no more a speculation.
    I'm happy they're putting effort towards the Playbook, but I think your right. We all can agree RIM doesn't know how to satisfy their costumers lately, but don't take my word for it. Just ask their investors.

I think there were some more important issues with the Playbook that should have been resolved instead of changing the UI for no reason (which seems to be what people are focused on right now).
    Honestly, it would of saved so much time and resources to just add folders to the current OS. I would of been fully satisfied! Although if they really wanted to drive me crazy, make tabs customizable and add folders.

Now I'm still satisfied with my purchase so far, and I'm actually using it to type on this thread (thank god I don't have internet for that maybe). Although am a Catholic, that doesn't mean I believe 100% everything I ever read from the Bible. Same goes with RIM/BB decisions.
    Some of those hardcore fans, rather they be; BB, Android, Apple, etc... that you purchased the device, not the other way around. So remember these are opinions, and probably one of the least hurtful things you've read about something.
    10-18-11 07:49 PM
    Not true, you can have anywhere from 0 to 6 icons on your "dock"

I actually prefer it the new way, I guess it's a matter of preference. One thing I like about how the PB moves icons from one pane to another is that you can "throw" icons on to the next pane, meaning you don't have to hold it at the edge of the screen.
    10-18-11 08:02 PM
    I like it. It could use some refinements though. I would change:

1. Make it so you could have multiple docks like you could in OS 1 Be able to swipe side to side to get to another dock would be nice (or if you want, only fill up one dock, so you only have one dock)
    So in other words, leave that feature as is.

2. Make the dots in the app tray touchable. It would be nice if you could touch on dot #5 and the Playbook would skip to homescreen #5. Similar to how you could touch a tab's name in OS 1 to skip to that tab.
    So in other words, leave the feature as is.

3. I'd also like looping homescreens. Be able to go left from the first screen to get to the last homescreen, and right from the Last to the first. Would also be useful in the dock if they implemented suggestion #1.
    That would be nice

4. Multitouch. Moving apps from page to page is slow. It would be nice if you could hold an app with one finger, and swipe between homescreens with another. Would make the app sorting experience more enjoyable.
    Again, pretty much leave it as is - you can drag an icon to a tab to move it to a different screen. Holding an app with one finger and swiping the homescreens sounds too much like playing finger twister
    10-18-11 08:09 PM

Good day.

I don't think RIM would introduce this new interface just as a "developer preview". I think it's pretty much set in stone that this will be the released interface.
    10-18-11 08:10 PM
    i like the new os and the best is it still beta so can be much better
    10-18-11 08:16 PM
123 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD