http://www.qnx.com/company/30ways/QN...te_0112_v4.pdf

Short advert from QNX.

QNX� Software Systems. The biggest name and best kept secret in embedded computing.

Attachment 115464
    kbz1960, f1mx, madman0141 and 3 others like this.
    08-14-12 10:34 AM
    That's amazing. Seems like endless posibilities if RIM can stay afloat till BB10.
    08-14-12 11:17 AM
    Had no idea LASIK used a QNX system... love that my perfect vision was created (partly) by RIM! Haha... awesome!!
    08-14-12 11:38 AM
    The link has been posted here various times. I'm much more interested in the desktop level OS they have via their neutrino. A desktop level OS pimped up by TAT's Cascades could be exactly what BB10 needs to compete long term against Windows 8. Imagine an OS as powerful as Windows 7 but QNX/BlackBerry powered

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-14-12 11:51 AM
    Had no idea LASIK used a QNX system... love that my perfect vision was created (partly) by RIM! Haha... awesome!!
    Lol. While QNX is now part of RIM, they had nothing to do with RIM when they were part of most of these integrated systems.

The link has been posted here various times. I'm much more interested in the desktop level OS they have via their neutrino. A desktop level OS pimped up by TAT's Cascades could be exactly what BB10 needs to compete long term against Windows 8. Imagine an OS as powerful as Windows 7 but QNX/BlackBerry powered

A long way down the road I would love to see this possibility come true. QNX (neutrino) is still very immature as a full desktop OS. It's got basic functionality, but is missing a lot of what modern OS take for granted. Still, someday maybe.

Regardless of what happens with BB10, QNX will be around for a long time in embedded systems.
    08-14-12 12:06 PM
    Lol. While QNX is now part of RIM, they had nothing to do with RIM when they were part of most of these integrated systems.

A long way down the road I would love to see this possibility come true. QNX (neutrino) is still very immature as a full desktop OS. It's got basic functionality, but is missing a lot of what modern OS take for granted. Still, someday maybe.

Regardless of what happens with BB10, QNX will be around for a long time in embedded systems.

Yep, and that's more likely the reason they are still hiring loads of software developers and engineers to make a more robust "mobile computing" platform and fill it out to compete with the likes of Chromebook, Windows 8 and even Mac OSX. If Google was smart they'd buy Ubuntu close the source and being developing internally a more robust base not only for Android but for "computing" in general. The reason a desktop level OS is still vital is because Apple + Microsoft have a duoploy *arguably since 1997 a monoply* on actual computing. All these apps etc are all being written, and often tested on actual computers with real computing power. I hope BB10 takes the power of QNX and by extension Playbook OS to the next level to compete with what Windows 8 is 'trying' to offer

08-14-12 01:29 PM
    Seems like the possibilities are pretty much endless. I would like to see RIM at the forefront of this.
    ralfyguy and rimshot 1 like this.
    08-14-12 02:30 PM
    I guess Thorsten Heins said it very clearly in his last interview that they are looking at electronics other than the smartphone market.

I totally understand this as smartphones are very limiting. Yes, they are always handy but not productive enough as a tablet (which is now leaning towards replacing laptops).. So having a common mode between objects is very good.

@Mike007 - What you ignore is that, even though all these equipment that currently run on QNX are basic in nature, as regards to their OS, but if you quickly browse through the Development blog of QNX you will understand that they are equipped to run several tasks without GUI processing or something of that sort.

What I mean is that, they can send and receive commands which are internet based and stuff of that sort.. So, say if you buy a QNX equipped microwave in 2013, you will be able to operate it through another QNX equipped device without the need for an 'APP' to act as a gateway because this will be OS to OS commands.

Hope you understand what I mean.. This is just a gist..
    BB10FTW likes this.
    08-16-12 12:18 AM
    I guess Thorsten Heins said it very clearly in his last interview that they are looking at electronics other than the smartphone market.

I totally understand this as smartphones are very limiting. Yes, they are always handy but not productive enough as a tablet (which is now leaning towards replacing laptops).. So having a common mode between objects is very good.

@Mike007 - What you ignore is that, even though all these equipment that currently run on QNX are basic in nature, as regards to their OS, but if you quickly browse through the Development blog of QNX you will understand that they are equipped to run several tasks without GUI processing or something of that sort.

What I mean is that, they can send and receive commands which are internet based and stuff of that sort.. So, say if you buy a QNX equipped microwave in 2013, you will be able to operate it through another QNX equipped device without the need for an 'APP' to act as a gateway because this will be OS to OS commands.

Hope you understand what I mean.. This is just a gist..
    How do I ignore that? TDP and bridge are completely irrelevant to the topic.

Please don't post about things you don't understand.
    08-16-12 06:54 AM
    Atleast I'm making an effort to understand things.. Why don't you enlighten us with the facts instead of asking us for the proofs?
    Dapper37 and BB10FTW like this.
    08-16-12 09:15 AM
    Are you referring to your constant lies that I ask for proof of? Stop bringing personal issues into these threads.
    08-16-12 10:17 AM
    Are you referring to your constant lies that I ask for proof of? Stop bringing personal issues into these threads.
    Take it easy. If you think a person is posting inaccurate information then correct them so we all may learn. Calling names adds nothing.
    08-16-12 10:39 AM
    Mikeo007 if you ask the right questions then you'll get the answers.. Anyways..

Here some reading material for you..

QNX Photon microGUI

True Gryc

Personally, I think you haven't understood QNX or the purpose of introducing it into the mobile market. It's not your 'regular' OS update or development. It's a collective effort, sort of a joint treaty effort by various OEMs to centralize the consumer activities objectively into one main device platform which completely eliminates programming and development costs by having a common OS, QNX, which runs on all computing devices.

Microsoft has brought Win8 to Surface and Apple, rather funny but are working towards an iOS everywhere OS. It's just not RIM who's in this game..

However, QNX is applied to the majority of systems (across various industries, not limited to Tab, Computers and Phones like MS and APP) and QNX is running successfully without any industry wanting to shift out of QNX. But this is not even the QNX selling point. What makes QNX special is that, it's independent to the device but when in cloud, it's becomes a contributing machine to the cluster. If you know something about Play@Home for Sony PlayStation, this is that but commercialized.

RTOS helps achieve this with greater efficiency and stability.. Sure, next year with iPad4 the PlayBook might not set any benchmark records.. But it will get complex jobs done with relative ease and the product is totally inexpensive.

Try comparing iProduct car connectivity (best you can find) and QNX Car2 PlayBook. Honestly, RIM does not even have any competition here.

iPad sales are going to mean nothing when QNX Car2 is released in mass produced cars and vehicles. So you see how QNX is beginning to go everywhere? It's one step at a time and RIM is taking their sweet time because honestly what's the rush when you don't even have any competition?

Some more informative stuff to read..

QNX Developer Support

BlackBerry is here to stay.. Like all their smartphones lasting for 5+ years, this PlayBook tab is here to exactly do that..

Some further reading..

On Q: Qt framework for QNX: Not just a pretty interface

"Qt is a cross-platform application and UI framework. Using Qt, you can write web-enabled applications once and deploy them across desktop, mobile, and embedded operating systems without rewriting the source code."
    Problems with Qt and iOS - [Phoronix] Qt 5.0 On Apple iOS Might Be In Trouble

Nokie still troubled over Qt - [Phoronix] Qt 5.0 Beta Likely Coming In Early August

Mikeo007 take it easy. I don't like you accusing me of lying on every thread. I'm really trying to contribute here with QNX and BB info.. to fellow CBs who are interested and love to know about BB. If you feel I have mentioned something wrong or out of line.. Then please feel to correct me, but I request you to provide objective and detailed responses.

If you think I'm fabricating information then honestly I don't care what you think.
    08-17-12 12:32 AM
    I've studied QNX before you even knew it existed. WHen you post lies, I do correct you. Problem is, you seem to have a hard time separating fact from opinion or conjecture. You also seem to have a hard time interpreting what "proof" is. Reading your arguments can become very frustrating. I will disprove your notion, and you'll follow it up with evidence that doesn't help your case in any way.

Please understand, this is a public forum and you're free to post whatever you want within the guidelines provided. You're welcome to post links for other people to read about QNX or Blackberry. But if you claim proof that your link doesn't provide, others are equally entitled to call you on your supposed "facts".

Also, I didn't accuse you of lying in this thread, that was related to some of your other threads. In this thread you just quoted me and then tossed out some random information that had nothing to do with what I had said. You then proceeded to toss out even more random info that again, does not support your claims.

Just so you're aware, I'm a big fan of QNX in embedded systems. In car systems running QNX could work really well with other devices, but I can guarantee that they won't be limited to Blackberry devices, that would be suicide for the car companies.
    Last edited by mikeo007; 08-17-12 at 07:07 AM.
    rimshot 1 likes this.
    08-17-12 06:47 AM
    I doesn't matter if they're limited to Blackberry devices.

They could roll out the current version of the Bridge app to other platforms to allow an advanced level of integration via emulation, while still keeping the security sandbox around each QNX smart device. Think of it as Mobile Fusion but targeted at consumer level devices rather than the BYOD movement.

It's just likely that the QNX-based mobiles will offer a more feature-rich environment over the competition's meagre integration offerings while maintaining the strongest link in the security chain. As this level of integration deepens, platforms with weaker security that can't evolve fast enough will disappear from the marketplace as consumer's trust drops off.
    08-17-12 01:52 PM

Just so you're aware, I'm a big fan of QNX in embedded systems. In car systems running QNX could work really well with other devices, but I can guarantee that they won't be limited to Blackberry devices, that would be suicide for the car companies.
    Exactly. This is something that I think the potential realists need to understand.

Oh, never mind... dreaming about the future is healthy.
    08-17-12 01:57 PM
    I guess what you don't understand is and I've been trying to point out to you is that QNX, although not limited to BlackBerry, will benefit BB because of the common OS architecture between BB10 and QNX Car2 and many such instances.

QNX Car will be supportive for all mobile phone developers, but will all mobile phones be able to take the max advantage of this QNX system, Obviously NOT.
    08-20-12 12:28 AM
    Atleast in the automobile industry QNX is well placed already..

QNX already associated with over 40 different car makers, around 25 million vehicles on the road & 250 different vehicle platforms..
    Last edited by varunsain; 08-27-12 at 03:15 AM.
    08-26-12 11:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD