Take the 20 minutes to watch this QNX demo for vehicle manufacturers. All along, I couldn't help but see my Playbook on the dash. Will these worlds come together? Will there ever be a RIM "car" app for Playbook that lets you use many of these features? Well worth the watch...!

http://crackberry.com/tags/qnx
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-02-12 06:33 PM
    Can't wait for total integration of PB, BB10, QNX and my vehicles.

Bring it on.
    09-02-12 07:56 PM
    It makes you drool because you are seeing the future. True integration and not the intellectually lazy nonsense Apple tries to sell you or Android tries to copy. I'm looking forward to the next four months.
    tonyron227 likes this.
    09-02-12 08:43 PM
    I want it now!
    09-02-12 09:19 PM
    Yeah too bad its in a Jeep!

Would like to know what mfrs are considering hope its not just Chrysler.

Would also like to know all the forms of connectivity used...not your stock PlayBook here.
    09-03-12 12:00 AM
    A few weeks ago I did a search on what car manufacturers use QNX. with the quotes out there being they hold 60% of the automotive market i just had to see, so don't worry there are plenty of cars to choose from, not just Jeep, which BTW is making some really nice stuff

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-03-12 12:10 AM
    Atleast in the automobile industry QNX is well placed already..

QNX already associated with over 40 different car makers, around 25 million vehicles on the road & 250 different vehicle platforms..
    09-03-12 12:14 AM
    I'm thinking this is a snap shot of whats to come with BB10. Going to be awesome!!!
    09-03-12 08:20 AM
    [/b] ;7600082]It makes you drool because you are seeing the future. True integration and not the intellectually lazy nonsense Apple tries to sell you or Android tries to copy. I'm looking forward to the next four months.
    LOL this tech isn't the future. Android users have had this for many years.

For instance, my daily driving routine involves the following:
    • turn by turn navigation using google maps
    • listening to an audiobook (more often) or listening to internet radio
    • audio and voice via to my BT headset with A2DP and AVRCP control
    • car touch friendly navigation dashboard
    • Voice navigation: "Navigate to 123 Main Street"

Take note all of these are multitasking and running at the same time. Using the configurable dashboard, I could also choose to:
    • view speedometer and trip data on the dash
    • activate real time GPS logging, nice for replaying trips later
    • send real-time location to a friend or family member so they can track where I am
    • programmable button to make calls or do anything on the call

Again, this is with full multitasking. Navigation is running, the audio book is playing, real-time tracking going, even if they are all in the background.

I only watched 10 minutes of the demo. Was there other compelling functionality in the last ten minutes that I missed? The only advantage I saw with the demo is the big screen and the solid mounting.

I think the smartphone solution is superior. For one thing, it's cheaper. I do this all of this basically for free. It's not tied down to a single car. When travelling, you get to use it in a rental car. But most of all, it's the integration with the rest of your apps that is most compelling.

Navigate directly from an address book entry, from a calendar entry, from a web page, from and email. There's rarely any need to manually enter addresses. If it shows up in a google search, you're good. Google maps is amazing. They've added bicycle routes, and of course routing using public transit. Plan out your route on your desktop browser, and retrieve it when you're in the car. It shows live traffic conditions. You can also, with a couple of taps, display and choose alternate routes.
    patpatiar likes this.
    09-03-12 07:44 PM
    Hi Notafanboy... You missed the point completely. It's not about what you can do with other devices... It's about convergence with the PB. Enjoy your androids...!
    09-03-12 10:44 PM
    Hi Notafanboy... You missed the point completely. It's not about what you can do with other devices... It's about convergence with the PB. Enjoy your androids...!
    regardless he still raises a valid point. if our current bb phones were capable of doing that we wouldn't be drooling over this.

anyways im not hating, long live bb!
    09-03-12 10:56 PM
    This is the future past, people have been doing this for ages.... Carputer
    09-03-12 11:14 PM
    ...In my convergent imagination, I envision popping the device in and out of the dash for both advantages of screen size and take-it-with-you mobility.

P.S. My TV has android-like apps in its operating system and checks for its system updates via the Internet. Long live digital convergence!

P.P.S. Notafanboy - yes, you missed the interesting parts of integration with vehicle control systems and saved profiles of choices for the vehicle. Very similar to personal preference information stored in keys.
    09-03-12 11:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD