On Q: QNX OS aces performance benchmarks

f you've ever wondered why the QNX Neutrino OS is popular in applications that demand fast, predictable performance, have I got some benchmarks for you.

Recently, Dedicated Systems Experts, a professional services company that specializes in real-time systems, performed independent evaluations of the QNX Neutrino OS on three different platforms: ARM Cortex A8, Intel Atom, and Pentium.

After putting QNX Neutrino through its paces, they determined that it offers:

Excellent architecture
    Very fast and predictable performance
    User-friendly development environment
    Above average documentation
    Support for many embedded platforms

In fact, QNX scored 9 out of 10 on the dimensions of architecture, documentation, tools, and performance.

The performance benchmarks, which are especially rigorous, gauge whether an OS has what it takes for applications that have zero tolerance for missed deadlines. These tests include thread-switch latency and interrupt latency.
    10-08-11 02:51 AM
    I'm not an OS guru but one thing I do know is that QNXOS runs smoother then anything out there on tablets, people that won't give QNX a run simply will never know how jerky and sluggish Android Honeycomb is in comparison. This is just one comparison.
    jaytee1o4 likes this.
    10-08-11 07:40 AM
    I'm not an OS guru but one thing I do know is that QNXOS runs smoother then anything out there on tablets, people that won't give QNX a run simply will never know how jerky and sluggish Android Honeycomb is in comparison. This is just one comparison.
    I know what you mean. The telco I work for sells the xoom and iconia tablets, and I have to work with ipads too. None of them compares to my playbook in speed and smoothness.
    10-08-11 08:25 AM
    I own an ipad and asus tranformer. Qnx demolishes honeycomb. I feel like over time (even a few days) android just gets really sluggish. The ipad is only good because apple has zillions of apps. Without all those it would be useless. I can't wait to start programming for the playbook. First I have to learn how lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-08-11 11:28 AM
    its funny I think honeycomb runs like crap. I tried the jet stream and its STILL sluggish. Ive yet to use any honeycomb tab that runs as well as the PB
    10-08-11 11:33 AM
    I agree.That's why Playbook dropping price is a good strategy.I always thought 500 dollars is a bit pricey for a tablet.RIM will sell a ton on 299 but problem is their gross margin on tablet might actually be zero.

I think 349 would be a great price point.And at that price Playbook can compete with both Ipad and Kindle Fire.
    10-08-11 10:41 PM
    Every 'droid tablet I've poked at in the store has run somewhat choppy and sluggish.

And none of them seem to respond to the PlayBook's swiping gestures, instead there's this stilly "home" and "back" button...

10-09-11 12:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD