Dear new playbook owners,

I really have a hard time to push the power button. I already knew this could be an issue but I did not expect it to be such a one. Did not RIM say, the button will be raised in the retail version? Unfortunately, my camera does not make proper pictures to show it to you, but the button is not raised at all and pushing it feels very cheap compared to the volume buttons (which are by the way raised).

Can somebody upload a picture of his/her button or tell me if he/she feels any difference between the power button and the volume button (besides that it is really small).

Thanks
    Dom
    04-19-11 07:31 PM
    Some of the retail units appear to flush, others raised. It's a bit of mix. I bought a 32GB one and 64GB one today. The 32GB was flush.. the 64GB was raised.

The good news is you can basically avoid the power button altogether.

To turn on the device: just do a gesture... from bezel to bezel, either top to bottom or side to side. So no need to use it there

To turn off the device: don't. just let it time out to standby. You can set it to 30 seconds (to save battery life).

Then you can avoid it altogether...
    04-19-11 07:40 PM
    Thanks Kevin for your quick reply,

but I think about if I should try to return it. I am afraid that the button will stop working properly after a while. It feels really cheap. Not what you expect from a Blackberry device...
    04-19-11 07:46 PM
    Your call on that one. My guess is the button will work fine for the long haul... but you should be happy with what you paid for. I definitely find the button on my newest playbook to be really good compared to my previous one.
    04-19-11 07:50 PM
    As I struggle with touchscreens i bought a capacitive stylus. the reverse end of it is perfect for pushing the stupid power button, but as the other person noted you can avoid it altogether!
    04-19-11 07:53 PM
    Now I got the problem! Need for speed died on me. I tried to restart the playbook. Now I am trapped with an annoying sound and the screen just says "Restarting Playbook". Push and hold the power button does not work... What can I do?
    04-19-11 07:55 PM
    Sorry, after a while and trying to push that button really hard, it restarted properly
    04-19-11 07:56 PM
    Kevin- a big shoutout and kudos to you for surfing the forums and answering questions/making comments. When the uppers can still relate to the peons, you know you're in good hands. . Thanks, sir.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-11 07:56 PM
    Dear new playbook owners,

I really have a hard time to push the power button. I already knew this could be an issue but I did not expect it to be such a one. Did not RIM say, the button will be raised in the retail version? Unfortunately, my camera does not make proper pictures to show it to you, but the button is not raised at all and pushing it feels very cheap compared to the volume buttons (which are by the way raised).

Can somebody upload a picture of his/her button or tell me if he/she feels any difference between the power button and the volume button (besides that it is really small).

Thanks
    Dom

Carry one of these:

04-19-11 08:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD