so with the BIS outage I dont have email on my BB/bridge.

So if PB was connected to BIS, we wouldnt have email either.

So unless OS2 gives us a straight POP/IMAP option that bypasses BIS (pepper.pk, amail), I say no thanks to BIS email on the playbook.

And considering how RIM does not approve email client apps, with the absence of native email on OS1.X and the current BIS outage, RIM is not treating their customers right. I have two Blackberry devices right now without email. Ridiculous in this day and age.

And of course, even more negative publicity for RIM.

Sorry, I had to vent
    francois626 and cucvovan like this.
    10-12-11 12:20 PM
    That is ok, they can not get BIS/BES to work on QNX anyways....
    10-12-11 12:24 PM
    You can use your PB to access your webmail ... more comfortable than on your phone.
    Not to excuse RIM, just to say POP is one browser click away and that we can get around a failure ... hopefully !
    grampycan and kbz1960 like this.
    10-12-11 12:57 PM
    so with the BIS outage I dont have email on my BB/bridge.

So if PB was connected to BIS, we wouldnt have email either.

So unless OS2 gives us a straight POP/IMAP option that bypasses BIS (pepper.pk, amail), I say no thanks to BIS email on the playbook.

And considering how RIM does not approve email client apps, with the absence of native email on OS1.X and the current BIS outage, RIM is not treating their customers right. I have two Blackberry devices right now without email. Ridiculous in this day and age.

And of course, even more negative publicity for RIM.

Sorry, I had to vent
    Careful, you could get banned for this heresy.
    10-12-11 01:01 PM
    They said PUSH emails will come to PlayBook and they are working. Hard to do this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    grampycan likes this.
    10-12-11 01:24 PM
    I'm sure that we will see good native POP/IMAP clients now that the NDK is out. Also, webmail is a good backup. I'm not to concerned about BIS outages (as rare as they are).
    grampycan likes this.
    10-12-11 02:13 PM
    Thankfully we have useful threads like this to enlighten users...
    grampycan and cucvovan like this.
    10-12-11 02:15 PM
    All sixteen of our Blackberry devices are useless as far as BIS goes. Been more off than on all day long. I know there was a problem in Europe but now it is stateside!

RIM HAS NO MORE FEET TO SHOOT!
    10-12-11 02:17 PM
    RIM should accept aMail/Early Bird, they are 2 email clients for PB that do not require BIS
    10-12-11 02:36 PM
    My cable goes out every time it rains...should I come complain on a public forum?

It's been what? Two years since the last major outage?

Get a magazine or a deck of cards or something...
    10-12-11 02:37 PM
    aMail is an atrocious piece of trash, cash grab and run with no support.

Why you would even wish that approved for people is beyond me.
    lovemyplaybook and howarmat like this.
    10-12-11 02:38 PM
    My cable goes out every time it rains...should I come complain on a public forum
    Then you need a new cable provider.

simpsonsguy316 and grampycan like this.
    10-12-11 02:48 PM
    Then you need a new cable provider.

Doesn't really work a lot of the time since you are lucky if you have more than one internet or cable provider of a certain type for a given area... Choice often doesn't even exist for stuff like that in a lot of areas.
    grampycan likes this.
    10-12-11 02:53 PM
    dont you guys get it?

We need an option/app for pop/imap that bypasses BIS. So with that option you can get your email on BIS/PUSH or IMAP/POP through a 3rd party app like EarlyBird.
    duh!
    10-12-11 03:02 PM
    You already can install aMail through a simple sideload. Go nuts, it sucks...
    grampycan likes this.
    10-12-11 04:00 PM
    dont you guys get it?

We need an option/app for pop/imap that bypasses BIS. So with that option you can get your email on BIS/PUSH or IMAP/POP through a 3rd party app like EarlyBird.
    duh!
    I believe those options were present in the screencap of the native email client setup.
    10-12-11 04:11 PM
    Doesn't really work a lot of the time since you are lucky if you have more than one internet or cable provider of a certain type for a given area... Choice often doesn't even exist for stuff like that in a lot of areas.
    The availability of alternate providers is a non-factor when deciding whether or not a particular customer needs to switch. Instead, such availability only addresses whether he or she can switch.
    10-12-11 04:14 PM
    The availability of alternate providers is a non-factor when deciding whether or not a particular customer needs to switch. Instead, such availability only addresses whether he or she can switch.
    So you can assume they need to switch whether or not they are able to... That's great and useful...
    10-12-11 04:24 PM
    I believe those options were present in the screencap of the native email client setup.
    geez, that would be sweet. No more BIS debacle, or at least an option to go with what best fits your needs!
    10-12-11 04:31 PM
    I think RIM should've always had an option to setup non-push/pop3 email that doesn't require BIS in their BlackBerry devices for basic consumer users who just want text and simple email and a keyboard.
    cucvovan likes this.
    10-12-11 05:11 PM
    I think RIM should've always had an option to setup non-push/pop3 email that doesn't require BIS in their BlackBerry devices for basic consumer users who just want text and simple email and a keyboard.
    There already were 3rd party clients available though, so the demand if you wanted it wasn't really that high (the only downside is you lose the OS integration). The PB is a bit different because it's a new OS and the apps aren't there.
    10-12-11 05:26 PM
    if RIM goes, they are taking us with them

i guess BIS has always been RIM's bread and butter, not their device.

low data consumption and pushed contents.
    10-13-11 12:40 AM
    There are already solutions available if you look around. While in the middle of a problem is not the time to make a backup plan. If receiving your email is that important to you make sure you can.
    Last edited by Hgouck; 10-13-11 at 06:14 AM.
    10-13-11 06:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD