View Poll Results: Is RIM's claim that the playbook is a professional grade tablet false advertising?

Voters
256. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes- false advertising, the playbook is not professional grade

66 25.78%
  • no - RIM is correct, the playbook is professional grade

190 74.22%
    please see my comment list on the pb in the suggestions to rim pb forum. i have a total of 55 items. i have been using rim products for years and buy all the branded accessories and like many of you were counting the days until the pb was avail

i am having a melt down because the lack of ppt support among other things. i routinely use the bb presenter paired ove bt w my 9630 and hate to admit it the ipad for ppt showings

i am so frustrated that i want to start a campaign for a class action suit against rim for making the false claim that the playbook is a professional grade product.

does anyone else feel this way - and if you dont, what does push this up to the grade of - professional?

thanks - btw - im leacing tbe spelling and punctuation errors to make a point about auto correct and the keyboard and how tough it is to move tbe cursor around to edit
    Last edited by laker072; 05-07-11 at 06:00 PM.
    dadymon likes this.
    05-07-11 05:06 PM
    Even though i semi-agree with you that at this point i don't think it is a "professional grade" tablet on some of the short comings, I think the main difference between RIM and the other tablets will be the continued support and updates down the road.
    05-07-11 05:15 PM
    sounds like a laptop would be a better choice to use rather than a tablet.. good luck with finding a lawyer and keep us updated.
    DCAce likes this.
    05-07-11 05:22 PM
    The PRICE of the unit is Professional. It may ultimately be professional but currently it falls just a bit short of that goal.

"btw - im leacing tbe spelling and punctuation errors to make a point about auto correct and the keyboard and how tough it is to move tbe cursor around to edit "

I was a bit surprised that there are no cursor movement keys on the keypad to move around to fix typos and other errors. That was something that immediately caught my attention when entering data/typing. Some fields do not pinch/zoom (the browser's address bar) so getting the cursor in precisely the right (or perhaps, WRONG) spot can be very difficult.

I have not voted.

A class action suit might be premature - you have/had the option to return it and puffing in ads is routine. Now if their vague promises are not fulfilled you might have something but maybe not.
    05-07-11 05:23 PM
    It's a marketing slogan.

This is like being angry that Apple products didn't make you "Think Different" or playing an EA game didn't "Challenge Everything".

Meh.
    Cynn, TGoblin, Nbailog and 7 others like this.
    05-07-11 05:24 PM
    in real life there is no such thing such as professional grade tablet. the said tablet has no native email on release. maybe next month. until its full fledged business tablet, no point calling it professional grade. call it early adopter grade.
    05-07-11 05:37 PM
    Just return it if it doesn't work for you. It's not like my Dell M1210 which had a defect that burns the motherboard a year after use.
    05-07-11 05:38 PM
    please see my comment list on the pb in the suggestions to rim pb forum. i have a total of 55 items. i have been using rim products for years and buy all the branded accessories and like many of you were counting the days until the pb was avail

i am having a melt down because the lack of ppt support among other things

i am so frustrated that i want to start a campaign for a class action suit against rim for making the false claim that the playbook is a professional grade product.

does anyone else feel this way

thanks - btw - im leacing tbe spelling and punctuation errors to make a point about auto correct and the keyboard and how tough it is to move tbe cursor around to edit
    you totally have a point, I say go class action all the way. Those guys at RIMM shouldn't be allowed to get away with this. Someone needs to hold them accountable.....
    Last edited by TedStriker; 05-07-11 at 05:47 PM.
    05-07-11 05:43 PM
    Call it "False Advertising" or "Marketing Slogan", the PlayBook, as it currently is, is definitely not professional grade.

Unfortunately, I can understand the OP's frustration, as I too purchased the PlayBook with the understanding that it was professional grade, and not that it would be upgraded to professional grade.

Right now there is way too much that is deemed to be "coming soon".

Also, I have noticed that a lot of chatter with regards application release, has to do with games and media applications. I do not play Angry Birds, and am yet to see talk about real business related applications. Or even talk about updating the included Docs to Go applications, to include more useable features for creating, editing and formatting documents, spread sheets and power point presentations.

Just my humble opinion.
    05-07-11 05:47 PM
    lets call it confessional grade tablet. make you humble yourself hee hee
    05-07-11 05:52 PM
    not as it shipped but it will get there eventually, keep rolling the updates until the email experience is stronger than a bb phone with full feature set.
    05-07-11 06:02 PM
    not as it shipped but it will get there eventually, keep rolling the updates until the email experience is stronger than a bb phone with full feature set.
    But see, there in is the actual problem that many people are experiencing, feeling and/or thinkin. I'll sum the common responses that you see on these forums regarding any shortcomings in the Playbook:

(i) It's coming soon.
    (ii) It will get there.
    (iii) Just wait, it will be better.
    (iv) Dont worry, something will come out in the next few months.
    (v) An upgrade is coming - sometime in the future.
    (vi) Have paitence.
    (vii) Oh, it cant do that yet, but wait, I'm sure RIM is working on it.

And those responses are exactley why this is not a "professional" tablet. Now I love mine and would never dream of taking it back as I like what it can do and I am willing to wait, perhaps foolishly and naievely, on the belief that RIM will indeed correct the Playbook's many many shortcomings.

But to others, and rightfully so, they look at a product that can't do basic things that a cheap $40 phone can do wondering whose definition of professional did RIM use. RIM has alot to prove to the public and to tablet users that it can indeed support this product. Hopefully it can succeed.
    JoelTruckerDude and RCCollins like this.
    05-07-11 06:21 PM
    i think the tablet is professional grade. A cursor to move around the screen would be a nice touch as could many other things. I have confidence that he upcoming updates will give as everything we currently desire and a whole lot more.

Personally i dont need the tablet but got one as i like the portability of it. i like the bridge to the phone.

At the moment even if i was in position to be able to return it i wouldn't. i want to be involved with the evolution and development seeing how things progress.

Its a busy time for RIM and if the playbook doesn't do as you require then return it.
    05-07-11 06:32 PM
    while i do see your point of some shortcomings, first you would have to define `professional grade` and exactly what that entails, then you would have to prove that the device doesnt do this. in your example of ppt, `professional grade` in no way insinuates or pre-disposes the user to the effect that ppt can be used, so on the ppt grounds, your suit would fail instantly
    05-07-11 06:33 PM
    let me know when you find an lawyer - cuz I wanna take on "Red Bull" for claiming it gives me wings....
    05-07-11 06:40 PM
    Given the state of the app players and native email/PIM, the slogan really should be "Professional grade - coming soon".

But in all seriousness, a class action wold be difficult, since where would you even start when trying to define "professional grade".
    05-07-11 06:44 PM
    Actually, why name a Professional Grade tablet a PLAYbook??? That might have been the first hint it was less then Business Professional.
    05-07-11 06:52 PM
    Good luck buddy, if you think that suing them will do anything but possibly make a lawyer rich off you be my guest. To be honest were still in the begining of the playbooks life.
    If i were you based on the recent commercials on everything, go around asking the types of people they claimed in the ipad2 commercial if they think the "ipad2 is magic" or "the future". then ask people who have a moen faucet if they really did "buy it for looks buy it for life". then ask people who eat arbys if its "good mood food". If you think a corporate slogan really 100% explains a product then you need help.
    Companies make slogans to be catchy, so its like "hmmm professional grade tablet well that sounds right up my alley, i don't need this xyz thing if i can get something professional". then when it doesn't deliver as soon as its released or immediately after its launched you go around saying they lied to you. sigh people are a silly critter.
    05-07-11 06:53 PM
    It's a marketing slogan.

This is like being angry that Apple products didn't make you "Think Different" or playing an EA game didn't "Challenge Everything".

Meh.
    Exactly! First, define what "professional grade" means, then you can decide if the PB meets that criteria.
    05-07-11 06:56 PM
    i dont agree with the actual class action suite but i thought that was just an exaggeration to show how disappointed you are. But i can certainly see the reason and can agree with what some of you are saying about its shortcomings. Darlaten sig says it all pretty much i think
    JoelTruckerDude likes this.
    05-07-11 07:05 PM
    I am a professional. I think it makes the grade, so for me it is a professional grade tablet. Others? Not so much it seems.
    Snick Snack likes this.
    05-07-11 07:06 PM
    If you don't like it, then sell it to someone who will appreciate it and go buy yourself an iPad....seriously....I am tired of seeing posts by people who went into buying the PB blind without doing any type of research, reading reviews, etc. and then come on here and whine & complain.

.....and if RIM needs someone to testify against your bogus class action suit, let me know!

(typed with ease on my Blackberry Playbook)
    kolonji and bluemax413 like this.
    05-07-11 07:08 PM
    Exactly! First, define what "professional grade" means, then you can decide if the PB meets that criteria.
    There's your problem, there's no objective standard to define 'professional grade.' I don't think a lawsuit will gain any traction until you can come up with something more specific.

On another note, why is it so many people seem to have a problem understanding the name 'playbook?' Here's a hint, it's a sports metaphor, as in 'the book in which you record your strategies.' I've heard that one or two businesses use the word, and not in regards to actual 'play.'
    05-07-11 07:55 PM
    no point with lawsuit over something so vague. buy beers instead - get a cigar and listen to music.
    05-07-11 08:02 PM
    that's funny
    05-07-11 08:28 PM
105 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD