hi all,

new playbook owner who is totally sold on this tablet. i was not a ios user so not really an app user, yet. looking forward to os2 release.

one thing that is really hurting my experience with the playbook is implementation of some fairly standard applications ie. Facebook and gmail.

gmail is my primary email account so this is my main concern.

is anyone else having freeze issues when sending msgs from gmail? Msgs will just hang and not send causing you to have to rewrite and send from my bb phone.

it also will hang when trying to open a msg and will report a loss in internet connection when my other browser windows are all working fine.

And why are all my msgs showing in a courier font? is it not supporting html?

menu bar navigation is also different from the website and less functional

i've tried using a the qnx browser and a different browser to launch gmail and still no luck.
    any help would be appreciated.
    01-16-12 09:44 AM
    you can go directly to the webmail through your browser, some of the apps available do not have the same functionality as going to the sites direct.
    01-16-12 11:07 AM
    I had to clear my complete cache/history in the browser for gmail to start working correctly again.

I had the same connection to server issues when trying to read an email, or emails that wouldn't send.
    01-16-12 11:10 AM
    The Gmail app link on our pb's is nothing more than a short cut to gmail in pb browser. If you are having issues (I once did a security wipe because of this) try to clear your cache.

From What i've seen on the 2.0 release video, we'll have a better app for mail.
    01-16-12 11:49 AM
    i have the same problem and it doesn't matter whether i use the app or go through the browser. hoping it is fixed soon.
    01-16-12 12:15 PM
    01-16-12 12:39 PM
    I don't want to discount the fact that you are having issues with gmail...but I have none and use it all the time. I use the web view/basic html or bridge. I don't care for the mobile view or app. It works great either of those ways for me.
    01-16-12 02:48 PM
    i have the same problem and it doesn't matter whether i use the app or go through the browser. hoping it is fixed soon.
    i didn't realize but, whether you are using the app or the browser you were getting auto directed to the mobile view site. i have managed to by bypass in the past but don't remember how.

it should be addressed in os2 as stated but, in the meantime the you tube tip in this thread works. Now if i can just find a way to make a decent looking icon/bookmark for it on my home page...
    01-16-12 05:19 PM
    If you scroll down to the very bottom of the inbox emails in the basic mobile view of gmail you now have the option of using the full desktop version, before it only had the basic html as the second option, but whatever i do the browser allways reverts to the basic mobile view when i open up the browser.
    01-16-12 09:53 PM
    If you scroll down to the very bottom of the inbox emails in the basic mobile view of gmail you now have the option of using the full desktop version, before it only had the basic html as the second option, but whatever i do the browser allways reverts to the basic mobile view when i open up the browser.
    thanks. i finally figured it out. i was trying to do a bottom swipe from the bottom of the gmail screen in the browser thinking it was like a playbook app. its tiny so easy miss.

silly that you can't lock it so i might just stick to the book marked icon i created for now. just wish i could clean up the bookmark images to keep my homepages fresh.
    01-17-12 12:39 AM
    still having issues with gmail even when not using the mobile site/app. i have had multiple occasions where it will hang when trying to send a simple text email message or reply and then crash with a connectivity issue message from gmail.

It works far more than it doesn't but the unreliabilty makes me hesitant to use it as its a pain to re write emails twice and some times 3 times before i give up and just use my BB torch.

Any suggestions?
    02-14-12 12:01 AM
    Same with me, I use Gmail quite extensively and haven't experienced those issues except for the hanging. And as mentioned earlier, after I cleared my cache it went away. Now I clear my cache every two or three days and haven't had the hanging issue since. I also rarely use the mobile view, mostly desktop view.
    02-14-12 01:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD