Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By kill_9
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Problems with bluetooth keyboard

Hey Everyone,

I've had the BB Bluetooth keyboard since about June, It's worked just fine up until about a month ago. Now, when I turn on the keyboard, the LED flashes red. My understanding is that this means the battery is low. I go to charge the keyboard, it shows that it is fully charged with a solid green LED, and the keyboard still flashes the red LED.

Is the battery on my keyboard shot? should I be trying to send this thing in under warranty? any advice would be great please!

Thanks, and Happy Holidays
    CrackBerry Abuser

Good luck getting warranty on the keyboard. You will have to try and go through were ever you purchased it from. Rim does not manufacture there own accessories. I purchased a keyboard about 2 weeks ago and it lasted 3 days and now It does not turn on or charge. I called rim and they will not replace it. If the place you purchased it from will not take it back, your pretty much screwed.

Found this link - if it works:

minikeyboardsupport@rim.com

From the manual:

"My keyboard isn't charging
    Try the following actions:•
    Make sure the cable is connected correctly to the USB port.•
    Make sure you are charging the BlackBerry Mini Keyboard with a BlackBerry Charger."

PB support, generally

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    Last edited by F2; 12-23-2012 at 03:59 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

May I ask why you are turning the keyboard off in the first place? The keyboard will enter a "sleep" state when not used for a period of time so there's really no need to turn it off. I've had mine since June and have never turned it off. There is no undue battery drain leaving the keyboard on and it's just a matter of pressing any key a few times to wake it up. Like the PB itself, there doesn't seem to be a benefit to turning it right off.
    Posted using my 32 gig Playbook - and 9 times out of 10, my new BB OEM mini keyboard
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

this isn't manufactured by rim?: BlackBerry

also, hpjrt, I was unaware of the sleep function until just recently, so I turned off the keyboard. After I learned about the sleep function, I still turned it on out of force of habit.

F2, thanks, for the info, I got the troubleshooting guide from the manual, and I took the right steps to charge the keyboard. I'll give it another go. I'm determined to get this thing working again.

Thanks everyone
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,803 Global Posts

It's strange but if you turn it on and off all the time the battery runs down quickly. If you leave it on it can last for weeks between charges.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by romjae View Post
    this isn't manufactured by rim?: BlackBerry
    I was told by RIM customer service that the keyboards are manufactured by a third party.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,803 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eaton18spd View Post
    I was told by RIM customer service that the keyboards are manufactured by a third party.
    Well the playbook are also manufactured by third party, Quanta.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Default Problems with bluetooth keyboard

alright fellas, turns out there was a problem with my pairing of the two devices. i thought i tried this already, but i guess i didn't. i re-paired the playbook with the keyboard and it works again.

the help was much appreciated everyone.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

The red LED does not mean the keyboards battery is dead after a recharge. It likely means you will have to reset the keyboard and pair it with the tablet again. All the drama queens on this forum are beginning to wear away at my Christmas spirtit. There is no reason to contact BlackBerry PlayBook Support. Bah Humbug!
    spencerdl and Lendo like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djenkins6 View Post
    It's strange but if you turn it on and off all the time the battery runs down quickly. If you leave it on it can last for weeks between charges.
    True. My BlackBerry Bluetooth Mini-Keyboard has been in daily use for the last two months without need of recharge. I use Airplane Mode whenever the tablet is not in use.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    True. My BlackBerry Bluetooth Mini-Keyboard has been in daily use for the last two months without need of recharge. I use Airplane Mode whenever the tablet is not in use.
    Why do you use Airplane mode? I leave mine on wifi and bt all the time. Is there a benefit to switching to Airplane mode?
    Posted using my 32 gig Playbook - and 9 times out of 10, my new BB OEM mini keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    The red LED does not mean the keyboards battery is dead after a recharge. It likely means you will have to reset the keyboard and pair it with the tablet again. All the drama queens on this forum are beginning to wear away at my Christmas spirtit. There is no reason to contact BlackBerry PlayBook Support. Bah Humbug!
    Merry Christmas. better?
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.3.0.140 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.2947
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,803 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hpjrt View Post
    Why do you use Airplane mode? I leave mine on wifi and bt all the time. Is there a benefit to switching to Airplane mode?
    Take a look at the airplane mode thread for all the benefits (or lack of benefits).
    Thanked by:
    hpjrt (12-24-2012)