Since upgraded to OS2 the Video app now can't play some avi files. They are encoded with xvid and general error msg "This file type isn't supported."

anyone know why or a workaround?
    02-25-12 02:47 AM
    I've been playing around with this today. It seems a number of the files on my PB during the upgrade process have somehow been corrupted. It doesn't matter if I copy them to the PC and back they just won't work. However if I copy the original source, if I still have it, everything works OK.

Is this possibly what you are experiencing?
    02-25-12 03:26 AM
    I converted once with avi with ACC audio to mp3 and then copied to the PB and it doesn't work. I have AVI movies prior the upgrade it they still work on OS2. I have movies that are same type xvid and they work fine. Not sure why.
    02-25-12 09:03 AM
    I just took a few minutes and tried each and every video file on my OS2/64gig unit. I only opened them, let them play a few seconds each and then moved to the next. So I have no idea if they will would work completely for their full duration. Only one mkv file which I knew had the wrong audio gave me the "not compatible" type of message. That's a total of 56 files with a variety of extentions or file types including 3gp, mp4, mkv and avi.

And for the boring details, he's pics of the files, including sizes. Again, I have no idea if they would all play entirely. These files were loaded on manually and not as part of a DM restoration.
    02-25-12 11:29 AM
    I'm getting really P*ssed with OS2 media player. The video title doesn't show up in the app and when i play it starts but it won't let me fastforward and it says "an error has occurred. please try again." Like WTF it gives the same error after error.
    The avi movie plays fine on the PC and works fine on OS1 before the update.
    02-26-12 04:49 PM
    What are the specs for the movie? Audio, video, bitrate (not that I really know much about some of that.)

As I said, I don't know if all the ones I have posted will work/play the entire way through. I started them all (except the knowingly "bad" mkv) and moved the progress bar in some of them.

So, you did move them to/from a pc/mac again to check.
    calles likes this.
    02-26-12 05:17 PM
    What are the specs for the movie? Audio, video, bitrate (not that I really know much about some of that.)

As I said, I don't know if all the ones I have posted will work/play the entire way through. I started them all (except the knowingly "bad" mkv) and moved the progress bar in some of them.

So, you did move them to/from a pc/mac again to check.
    Well first of all since the PB does't play AAC audio I had to use AnyVideo to convert the audio to mp3 and then copy the avi xvid format back to the PB at which point it craps out. The original avi movie plays fine without sound.
    02-26-12 10:37 PM
    I think the pb does play aac audio. It does not play ac3 audio.

The two mkv files I have on the pb represent both of those type of audio. The Video player shows the IMAGE but when I try playing the ac3, it gives "format not supported" type of message. The aac file plays fine as far as I can tell. It started and I moved further into the file and still played with sound.

I would guess that there must be something else about it.
    02-27-12 12:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD